Brand new....and a little intro!

ahsmatt7

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ahsmatt7
Hi all, I am a new member here. I just wanted to give a wave to everyone else. Just a little bit about myself.

I am currently oh so close to the Comm-single. I have my PPL with the ASEL, AMEL and IFR ratings. My eventual goal is to go to the airlines but have an open mind to say the least. I was referred to this website by a good friend and it seems like a HUGE wealth of information for guys like me who plan on getting the CFI cert. Thanks for having me and I look forward to meeting everyone!!!!

If any of you guys/gals are in my neck of the woods, Id love to meet and talk flying. I would also like to experience flying in a more HP twin. I have a good chunk of time in a seminole and would like to try my skills and gain more experience in more of a challenging and high perf. twin!!!

Matt (I'll assume that's your name, please correct me if I am wrong):

Welcome to PoA!

I get down to T82 fairly frequently, have had good fortune of meeting up with David White, from New Braunfels - is he your pal, here?

In any event, watch for occasional events down that way - they happen. Look forward to meeting you.

Matt (I'll assume that's your name, please correct me if I am wrong):

Welcome to PoA!

I get down to T82 fairly frequently, have had good fortune of meeting up with David White, from New Braunfels - is he your pal, here?

In any event, watch for occasional events down that way - they happen. Look forward to meeting you.
It seems Dave is a popular guy on POA! He is the "friend" I mentioned. T82 is a very nice field. I have plenty of checkride memories from there........:D.

I see you are from Dallas. My girlfriend's family lives in Prosper so I will try to fly to TKI every so often. Are you around that part of town?

If any of you guys/gals are in my neck of the woods, Id love to meet and talk flying. I would also like to experience flying in a more HP twin. I have a good chunk of time in a seminole and would like to try my skills and gain more experience in more of a challenging and high perf. twin!!!

You have it backwards, horsepower is your best friend, the most challenging twins to fly safely OEI are the underpowered ones.

Power buys you options, lack of power means no options and no second chances. What the High Performance twin requires more of is discipline to not rely on that power to extricate you from poor habits and techniques and not choose unwise options. I once flew a 310 out of a failure on rotation and brought it back around. That was an unwise decision considering I had >9000' of runway still in front of me, I should have puled the other back and settled in. Luckily I pulled it off, many others have died trying the same in the same plane; in my Travelair, I would have never thought to try.

You have it backwards, horsepower is your best friend, the most challenging twins to fly safely OEI are the underpowered ones.

Power buys you options, lack of power means no options and no second chances. What the High Performance twin requires more of is discipline to not rely on that power to extricate you from poor habits and techniques and not choose unwise options. I once flew a 310 out of a failure on rotation and brought it back around. That was an unwise decision considering I had >9000' of runway still in front of me, I should have puled the other back and settled in. Luckily I pulled it off, many others have died trying the same in the same plane; in my Travelair, I would have never thought to try.

This is the stuff I would love to sit around chat about. Things that I could learn from and take away from. Thanks for the insight!

This is the stuff I would love to sit around chat about. Things that I could learn from and take away from. Thanks for the insight!

The only thing a HP twin needs from you physically over a LP twin is stronger thighs until you can get around to the rudder trim.

Thank you! How is flying in Denver? I have always wanted to give it a go. Something about pointed rocks thousands of feet in the air makes me apprehensive.

Welcome to POA and enjoy the company.

Denver is okay. Long take-off and landing rolls are the norm. Summers make it worse. Flying in the hills is a whole 'nuther world. Take a mountain training course sometime and the apprehension will go away a bit. You'll learn to always respect the winds...

Thank you! How is flying in Denver? I have always wanted to give it a go. Something about pointed rocks thousands of feet in the air makes me apprehensive.

I got a ride in the Frankenkota from Steamboat to Denver one Decembers day, it was gorgeous flying, even got a fun descent through a crag to avoid the DEN class B.

Yup Clark covered it. Long roll outs and takeoffs. High Density Altitude and weaker airplane performance. Especially in Summer when it's hot out.

The big rocks are 25 miles West at the closest, Denver was originally known as "The Queen City of the Plains". It pretty flat East of here. ;)

As Clark mentioned, headed up into the mountains is best done after some formal mountain flying training.

In our mountains, we have a number of very nice paved airports. A place like McCall, ID is where ya go for backcountry strips. We have a few but most are on private land.

Being up in the mountains on a calm windless day is just a beautiful flight. Being up there in wind or weather is painful since that almost always means turbulence.

Winter is typically dry and cold mixed with a few overcast days and big but short infrequent snowstorms that ground most of us little people. March is our snowiest month.

Spring is great. We usually get a couple of weeks of high winds in Spring. Otherwise, nice flying weather usually.

Repeated in the Fall. Wind.

Summer is hot and dry with a lot of (often violent) thunderstorm activity in the afternoons.

The t-storms are especially entertaining out on the Eastern Plains toward Nebraska and Kansas, but you go up in the morning it's usually painfully clear and blue on those days. By 3PM there's storm chasers on I-76 and tornado warnings for the farmers out there.

Over 300+ days of sunshine means keeping Instrument current (something I hope to have to do starting this year, Clark already does.) is typically under a hood or you're travelling downhill somewhere a lot. :)

I once flew a 310 out of a failure on rotation and brought it back around.

:rolleyes2:

Sorry, on this one I call

BS.gif

:rolleyes2:

Sorry, on this one I call

BS.gif

I do, too.

Signed,
-Someone who actually flies a 310, and an overpowered one with upgraded engines at that

It seems Dave is a popular guy on POA! He is the "friend" I mentioned. T82 is a very nice field. I have plenty of checkride memories from there........:D.

I see you are from Dallas. My girlfriend's family lives in Prosper so I will try to fly to TKI every so often. Are you around that part of town?

Howdy from Denton, TX!!

Matt, Welcome to POA!! We''ll share our knowlege if you share yours:wink2:! Look forward to seeing more of you.

Welcome to POA. I met David on here and then in real life, in his plane, in Michighan! I flew from CA.

You will enjoy this website.

Welcome! Do you also post on Jetcareers? I think I've seen your username over there.

Welcome to POA, Matt! Nice to have another Texan on the board. I'm in north Fort Worth, and fly out of 52F (NW Regional).

Absolutely correct, funny though I think that a potential employer would probably look more favorably on Baron or Navajo time than a 150hp Apache!

I'm A150K over there and GCA319 here. I'm over there more than here, but this is a great place to come for information regarding GA.
Same here. I know exactly who you are! Nice seeing you on another part of the interwebz. To get an industry look on things and to get some humor out of arguments, JC is a great place. However, I can find a lot more info about GA and more info on CFIing over here without the wisecracks and what not.

Same here. I know exactly who you are! Nice seeing you on another part of the interwebz. To get an industry look on things and to get some humor out of arguments, JC is a great place. However, I can find a lot more info about GA and more info on CFIing over here without the wisecracks and what not.

Oh there are wisecracks here for sure!

Back