Brake job cost?

Be interested in the product you used. I've only had success with one product for a leaking head gasket:

mor-35500_xl.jpg

Steel Seal. Not cheap - but does the job. The company claims that the fix is permanent. We shall see... (but IMHO it has paid for itself even if it failed tomorrow).

Dave

Dave.

Yep.

I’ve got a minivan that’s too heavy for the brakes, and the rotors kept warping after just a little use. I had enough of replacing them over and over, so I ordered PowerStop brand rotors from RockAuto. Drilled and slotted rotors are unusual for a minivan, but they do the trick: the warping is completely stopped now. Price was good, and my labor was free.

I bought Detroit Axle rotors. So far they are doing fine (and I drive over a mountain pass and back every workday).

We ran into some friends and former clients (we sold our business) last night. They own a high end German auto repair shop. They don't work on GMCs, but he invited me to bring my truck over so he could look at it and give me some advice. He said I might possibly need front brakes but he would be very surprised if I needed rear brakes.

I went over there today and he looked at it and shook his head. He said "You don't need ANY brakes". Stay away from that place that told you you do.

So today my wife has figured out another use for that $1,200. :(

We ran into some friends and former clients (we sold our business) last night. They own a high end German auto repair shop. They don't work on GMCs, but he invited me to bring my truck over so he could look at it and give me some advice. He said I might possibly need front brakes but he would be very surprised if I needed rear brakes.

I went over there today and he looked at it and shook his head. He said "You don't need ANY brakes". Stay away from that place that told you you do.

Well, on the bright side you didn't pay the shop money for nothing, and you found a reason to find a new shop. I'd let them know about it, too.

I take care of 7 vehicles work and personal…. With average tools and being a below average mechanic it takes me maybe 30-45 minutes on the first side and maybe ten on the second. Never had to replace the fronts and rears at the same time on any vehicle. Lexus fords chevys toyotas subarus and hondas. If i cant lift the tire or bend over i will begrudgingly pay someone. Never have i ever done the brake fluid proactively but always when changing pads and rotors(if warped or scored).

While having them change my oil, the Ford dealer told me that my F150 with about 60,000 miles on it needed a full brake job (I bought it new from them). I proceeded to go home and order the Motorcraft replacement parts for all four wheels. Lined up time to do the job. I removed the wheels and discovered that all 4 brakes were perfectly fine and were FAR from needing replacement. I put the wheels back on and put the spare parts on my shelf for down the road. My truck has never been to the dealer since. 25,000 miles later and my brakes still work great.

I would have been a customer from life for that dealer and would have probably bought half a dozen more trucks from them before I croak. But...they threw all that opportunity away with their short-sighted lies.

I take care of 7 vehicles work and personal…. With average tools and being a below average mechanic it takes me maybe 30-45 minutes on the first side and maybe ten on the second. Never had to replace the fronts and rears at the same time on any vehicle. Lexus fords chevys toyotas subarus and hondas. If i cant lift the tire or bend over i will begrudgingly pay someone. Never have i ever done the brake fluid proactively but always when changing pads and rotors(if warped or scored).
At one time I used to do all of my repairs too. Brakes, oil changes, spark plugs (& points; remember those), belts, hoses, and accessories like generators/alternators, carburetors, adjusting valves and almost anything else.

Then electronics got involved and I didn't have one of those fancy new diagnostic systems so I gave up a lot of attempted repairs.

One time I I tried changing the spark plugs, which I had done many times on many vehicles, but I got to that #8 plug and there was no way I could get to it. I had to take it to a shop.

I had a lower radiator hose bust. No problem. I can fix that. A day and a half later after removing covers and shrouds and the alternator and finally getting it all back together I gave up that and any thought of swapping the radiator or water pump.

My last oil change (I forget which car) the filter was parallel to the ground. It was on so tight I had to put a pipe over the filter wrench as a cheater and still practically busted hernia. And there was NO WAY to remove it without spilling oil everywhere. That was circa 1985 and I have not done much besides add air to my tires and gas to the tank since. And, engines are so reliable these days I haven't even had to add oil between taking it in for someone else to do the oil change in decades.

As far as I am concerned, a good mechanic is worth whatever he charges. But a dishonest one can suck toads.

I replaced the brakes myself on my Ford Escape at 43,000 miles. Parts were about $70. I ran into two problems. Problem one was that my Escape was suffering from the Ford swollen lug nuts issue, so the stock 19mm socket would not fit about half of the lug nuts. I had to purchase a 20mm socket and a 22mm socket for the rest. There were two that had to be removed with a lugnut extractor. The second problem is that Ford redesigned the calipers so the calipers have to be turned while they are being compressed. I had to buy a $35 tool that would do that. My rotors still looked good.

Back