Brag About Your Students

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Go ahead--I enjoy it, and I bet a lot of other POAers do, too!

(Loren was doing it for a while, and in great style, I might add.)

We hear training stories from students all the time, and they're enjoyable; but let's hear more about your stories teaching and soloing your students, and how they did getting their ratings!

Go ahead--I enjoy it, and I bet a lot of other POAers do, too!

(Loren was doing it for a while, and in great style, I might add.)

We hear training stories from students all the time, and they're enjoyable; but let's hear more about your stories teaching and soloing your students, and how they did getting their ratings!

Thank you. I have more in the works...just been thwarted by some horrible spring weather. But two more solos are very near and a checkride or two! They seem to come in spurts.

I just thought of a third solo that COULD happen soon...if I can get him back out to the airport! This guy is gung-ho...in sporadic episodes. He's owned an early 2000s Cessna 172 and has been plodding along on his private pilot training since 2004. I met him last year and he was fired up to get this done. So we flew a couple times a week for a few weeks, then he disappeared. Didn't hear from him for almost three months. (Well, I'd txt him once in awhile to confirm he was still alive!) Then he came roaring back, motivated to solo. And in no time he was ready to solo....til the presolo test was assigned. Then he disappeared again. That was late Sept. last year. In Feb. he sends a txt that come April, he's going to hit it hard and wrap it up. He has actually passed his written once, but that is long expired. A couple more txts with work excuses since, but assurances he'll be out soon with the presolo in hand. :rolleyes:

Part of the problem is he will get the urge when a gorgeous, cloudless, windless day hits, then txt me to see if I can fly in an hour. Huh? That hour was booked last week by someone who really wants to learn to fly! But I try to accommodate any way I can. I got one of those txts last week, but the nose strut was flat on the 172 that hasn't flown since Sept. He's been advised of that issue with it months ago, but deferred the maintenance "til spring"...well, spring is here! But our mechanic was out of town so he couldn't get the service work accomplished on an hour's notice.

Anyway, great guy...could be a great pilot. But he's just paying for a lovely aircraft to sit and decay. :sad:

One of my students passed his written today. We were supposed to fly early but the thunder and rain was ferocious so I suggested a test prep day. He did a practice exam and got 72, but missed some easy ones because he skimmed over them knowing he "knew" the answer. We reviewed some of the missed ones and he took a second practice exam. That came in at 85, even skimming a couple that he missed.

So, he decided to go for it. I told him he had to read every question twice, decide on an answer then reread the question a third time. He scored an 88! But he did comment that he saw some questions that he felt like he'd never seen before. I guess the Feds are changing things up a bit.

By the time he finished the weather mellowed and we got an hour of touch and goes in. It had been two weeks since he'd flown but we knocked the rust off and made good progress on xwind landings.

He should be ready for a checkride in June. Good job, Ty!

One of my students passed his written today. We were supposed to fly early but the thunder and rain was ferocious so I suggested a test prep day. He did a practice exam and got 72, but missed some easy ones because he skimmed over them knowing he "knew" the answer. We reviewed some of the missed ones and he took a second practice exam. That came in at 85, even skimming a couple that he missed.

So, he decided to go for it. I told him he had to read every question twice, decide on an answer then reread the question a third time. He scored an 88! But he did comment that he saw some questions that he felt like he'd never seen before. I guess the Feds are changing things up a bit.

By the time he finished the weather mellowed and we got an hour of touch and goes in. It had been two weeks since he'd flown but we knocked the rust off and made good progress on xwind landings.

Excellent! I think your teaching methods are great. You have many types of students to work with, and you are very adaptable with them.

I guess other teachers are far too modest to post, LOL!

One of mine bought an airport.

If the FAA ever reverts back to the policies prior to adopting the "open book testing" that has been in effect for many years, the written test scores will fall like a rock. Some applicants might (gasp!) even flunk it.

Ill brag on one of my students, then. She auditioned at several schools, got into all of them, and received a full tuition scholarship plus money for books and supplies to University of Maryland, College Park.

I taught my best, but Katy went all-out, practicing 5-6 hours per day for the past three years. Congratulations, Katy!

Can i brag about myself? Went to take my first rotocraft lesson about a month ago. After about a 30min flight the CFI took us back to the airport where he wanted me to do some hover flying. Well he told me to put the helo in a hover position and hold it, in which i did. He turns to me and looks dumbfounded and said I am the first student he has ever had, who has never been in a helo before, and has kept it in the hover position without his assistance on the first try. Made me feel real good!

Ill brag on one of my students, then. She auditioned at several schools, got into all of them, and received a full tuition scholarship plus money for books and supplies to University of Maryland, College Park.

I taught my best, but Katy went all-out, practicing 5-6 hours per day for the past three years. Congratulations, Katy!

Wow....dedication pays! Excellent!

Can i brag about myself? Went to take my first rotocraft lesson about a month ago. After about a 30min flight the CFI took us back to the airport where he wanted me to do some hover flying. Well he told me to put the helo in a hover position and hold it, in which i did. He turns to me and looks dumbfounded and said I am the first student he has ever had, who has never been in a helo before, and has kept it in the hover position without his assistance on the first try. Made me feel real good!

Ha! We train in helicopters at our FBO. I only get in them periodically, but I was able to hover rock steady for about five, maybe six nanoseconds before it went divergent! :lol:

That's an impressive first flight!

Cool!

I told her that her scholarship is probably more than the sum of every cello lesson she has ever taken!

Probably!

Speaking of bragging....my student (as in college age son) got a 3.78 last semester with a full load and some challenging classes. I'm darn proud of him!

BTW, for any college parents, encourage trying out for a Resident Assistant gig. They pay them to be in their dorm rooms studying! One of the best college jobs you can find! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Anyway, great guy...could be a great pilot. But he's just paying for a lovely aircraft to sit and decay. :sad:

I'm a little late to the party, but feel free to let him know that I know...uhhhh.....somebody...yes, we'll go with somebody, who would be very willing to do a little airplane-sitting entirely free of charge! :D

I'm a little late to the party, but feel free to let him know that I know...uhhhh.....somebody...yes, we'll go with somebody, who would be very willing to do a little airplane-sitting entirely free of charge! :D

Hey, I've told him I'm going to fly it to keep it healthy and he says "Go for it!" But that nose strut still needs servicing...

Another guy I fly with regularly left his Jabiru Light Sport in my care for three months while he was in FL. Just found out he's now having knee surgery and needs me to keep it active for two more months this summer. Darn. Will have to go visit my kid a few times.

Probably!

Speaking of bragging....my student (as in college age son) got a 3.78 last semester with a full load and some challenging classes. I'm darn proud of him!

BTW, for any college parents, encourage trying out for a Resident Assistant gig. They pay them to be in their dorm rooms studying! One of the best college jobs you can find! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

3.78 IS something to brag about, especially if it is achieved in the first couple of years. For those of you who think I am an incontrovertibly perfect intellectual, I'd have you know that my GPA at that stage was QUITE a bit lower!

3.78 IS something to brag about, especially if it is achieved in the first couple of years. For those of you who think I am an incontrovertibly perfect intellectual, I'd have you know that my GPA at that stage was QUITE a bit lower!

I agree...my first quarter (thank God I was on a quarter system....less overall damage) was SUBSTANTIALLY lower than that. At the halfway mark his cumulative is over 3.5, so I hope he stays on the track he's on. He did sign on for another year as an RA which I think bodes well. He's got a good head on his shoulders. Must skip generations!

One of mine bought an airport.

And all of our names are on the wall at that airport because we've landed there:

ngTTl22.jpg

Nice job. I really want to take a helo lesson. Maybe for my Bday which is coming up .. monday

Back