Bracket vs. Challenger air filter

Unit74

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Unit74
I have a bracket now and considering swapping out for the Challenger. From my understanding, it's a drop in replacement for the Bracket foam filter.

I am aware the Challenger is nothing more than the K&N E-1957 with a slip of paper that says its STCed and the KN part number burned off. But I'd like to keep it on the up and up so I'll grit my teeth and pay the man.

Will there be any real difference between the two performance wise, that's the question? Or in other words, is it worth $200?

No difference performance wise. Don't care what the Challneger website says.

No difference performance wise. Don't care what the Challneger website says.

I'm also very much a non believer of manufacturer claims. Their goal is to sell sell sell. :yes:

I've used a Brackett, two Challengers (I ruined the first one by using too much water pressure to clean it), and after the disappointment with Challengers, switched to Donaldson. I truly believe the Donaldson provides the best filtration of the three and there is not even a slight variation in MP between them. I can use a Donaldson for several years and clean it with compressed air several times during it's useful life. My mechanic is opposed to any oiled air filter element so he's on board with Donaldson as well.

Last edited:
Ron Levy and others claimed in other threads that they have gained 1/2" MP with the K&N: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1650720&postcount=15

The Donaldson filter is what I am interested in, they claim that their filter has the lowest flow resistance of them all, while offering the best air filtration. They provide detailed specs on their website, Donaldson is also a large manufacturer of industrial filters:

http://www.donaldson.com/en/aircraft/support/datalibrary/007217.pdf

If I wanted to upgrade the filter, I would probably get the Donaldson. However, I am not sure whether 1/2" manifold pressure justifies the costs!?

Last edited:
I hear the non K&N type actually filter small stuff better, think there is a side by side on youtube.

To keep things in perspective, Beavers don't have air filters so some may not care that you can see pinholes of light through a Challenger filter. They do stop bugs and cottonwood and that sort of stuff. Personally I operate on dirt and silt and want good filtration.

Does Donnaldson have a drop in replacement to the bracket filter housing?

In the Dodge/Cummins diesel world, K&N's have a strong reputation for dusting intake tubes and turbos. Just food for thought.

Back