BP's impact on aviation in LA

This is yet another instance of BP controlling their exposure that I have heard of. Teh BP has been having the USCG chase away the press in boats from certain coastal areas. Not areas near where the spill and capping efforts, but miles away where there is destruction.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/05/26/the-missing-oil-spill-photos.html

It would seem that BP is in charge of that section of the US

Last edited:
I read the letter and he is making an assumption that BP is the one granting authorization. Another emotional reaction and lashing out at BP, even though there is no evidence that BP is "telling" ATC/FAA what to do.

I can only comment on the first point of the letter where BP is not allowing single-engine aircraft to transport their personnel. Many large companies have certain standards a charter company needs to meet which far exceed FAA standards. It's entirely possible that the requirement for a twin is written into their aviation subcontract policy, although I'm not saying that it is.

Didn't I hear our President say, just yesterday, how the federal government is in full control of the situation in the gulf?

Is is plausible that part of the reluctance of the USCG and FAA to allow the media into the area is because the government is trying to manage the message? After all, the media has been part of the reason that the President and the government have been tarred as not doing much to control the damage.

Washington Post said:
A defensive President Obama sought Thursday to quell doubts about his handling of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, insisting that his administration has been "in charge" from the moment it began and bristling that critics who accuse it of being sluggish to react "don't know the facts."

It's pretty common for both industry AND the government to limit press access in order to manage the message. And given the heat that both BP and the Administration have gotten on this disaster, both have reason to want to manage the message.

Given the political matters that are at stake, I find it just as plausible that the government has reason to limit the press as BP does.

Gulf Coast residents are furious; images of the oil's sheen on the water have given way to ones of black beaches and dead animals.

On cable news broadcasts of Obama's news conference, he had to share the screen with a live shot of that painfully familiar underwater pipe spitting out brown gunk.

Quotes from this article, WashPo

Back