BP measurements question

sba55

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
sba55
Quick question -

Almost every time I go for a doctor's visit, my blood pressure turns out to be quite high. Sometimes, it's pretty normal, like 125/80, but most of the time, I'm looking at something like 135/90.

From what I've gathered, it's a good idea to try to bring this down. The doctors I've asked about this, including one cardiologist, don't seem to be concerned. Maybe I shouldn't be?

In any case, I just bought a BP monitor to use at home to document things. When should I take those measurements? Morning, evening?

Thanks!

-Felix

Quick question -

Almost every time I go for a doctor's visit, my blood pressure turns out to be quite high. Sometimes, it's pretty normal, like 125/80, but most of the time, I'm looking at something like 135/90.

From what I've gathered, it's a good idea to try to bring this down. The doctors I've asked about this, including one cardiologist, don't seem to be concerned. Maybe I shouldn't be?

In any case, I just bought a BP monitor to use at home to document things. When should I take those measurements? Morning, evening?

Thanks!

Take them whenever. Take three in succession and write down the average. Do it in relaxed sitting position. Keep a log. Do it every day or every few days. This will give you an averaged random idea if you really have a problem or not. Cut down on sodium. Eliminating processed foods might be enough for that. Forget caffiene. Learn to live without it. Get enough sleep. Exercise aerobically, getting pulse up for min 20 minutes 3 times a week (or more). If all that doesn't do it and you are still 140/90 you may have to go on meds. Speaking from experience! I'm Not a real doctor but have always enjoyed playing doctor.

Keep in mind that your BP reading is affected by the relative elevation of your heart vs the point where the BP is measured. IOW if you measure at a wrist, make sure the wrist is at the same distance from the ground as your heart if you want accurate readings. The difference is quite noticeable.

If you can control your blood pressure with diet and exercise, then that is the best way to go. If you begin medication, every FAA medical will need to be accompanied by a letter from your regular physician that your BP is under control. The first medical will need to be accompanied by even more paperwork.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back