Boyds Maryland Airport?

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
To Maryland and Va POAers I may need to do a day trip to Boyds (NW of Germantown) Maryland. I'm looking for an airport that is close to Boyds Maryland. Anyone have any suggestions?

Boyds, MD?

Well that explains the fix.

Looks like KGAI - Montgomery County in Gaithersburg is the closest. Hope you are up on your Washington DC TFR's.

Looks like KGAI - Montgomery County in Gaithersburg is the closest. Hope you are up on your Washington DC TFR's.

I did take the SFRA class and have been researching the matter and it looks like GAI is only 11.5 mile and a 27 minute drive according to google and FDK while 21 miles is only 29 minutes and is outside the SFRA

My vote would be FDK. Almost equal drive time with less hassle. Just remember, FDK has a tower now. Don't be "that guy".

Don't know what you're flying, but there's also Davis, W50, in Laytonsville. Tiny, 2000 x 25 with a big hump In the middle of the runway. Haven't been in there in years. No services, used to be run by a cranky older lady. GAI is probably a more sensible alternative, but it's an option.

I'd recommend Gaithersburg. Adam, if you still have my number I will gladly walk you through the SFRA process it's pretty simple. Please feel free to call or PM me.

Though, you might end up getting the gnome back, he was at PTW this weekend!

-Matt

Yeah FDK would be a good choice. Think they still have rental cars, and the restaurant is pretty good. Camp David is the other thing to look out for....h

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Montgomery Aviation at GAI can have a rental car waiting, and the SFRA is really not a big deal to do if you just do what it says on this card:

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/courses/content/55/712/Kneeboard - SFRA Checklist 111130.pdf

FDK really is a lot farther out, and I-270 can be a disaster if you're in rush hour (towards DC in AM, outbound in PM).

Davis? Forget about it.

Hey, Davis looks like a lot of fun! And according to their website, they put in 100LL pumps. Though you probably wouldn't get a rental car at the plane or any of the other niceties that you'd get at GAI or FDK....

I'd definitely suggest GAI over FDK if you're coming in and leaving any time other than the middle of the day (ie 10:30 to 2:00 or so) or the middle of the night (8:30 pm to 6:00 am). 270 at rush hour (which in the DC area lasts forever) is an experience you don't want to deal with. If you fly into GAI, you won't have to get on it at all.

Either GAI or FDK. GAI is a bit closer, but the surface streets can be slow. FDK would be my choice UNLESS you're driving during morning rush from FDK to Boyds or back to FDK in the evening. You'd take Rt. 121 into Boyds from 270.

There's a stretch of 270 that's narrow & backs up inbound in the AM and outbound in the PM.

Remember to calculate the additional flight time to GAI when computing overall travel time.

Actually JYO is also an option for Boyds. You can drive right up the US 15 over "Point of Rocks" (or as we call it Rots of Ruck).

I used to live within a mile of GAI. It's really a wash road-wise on weekends, nights, or off-rush-hour. I'd probably give the nod to FDK if the planned time is anything but morning rush hour.

Assuming non-rush hour traffic, it's a quick hop on the interstate from FDK, and very few traffic lights once you get off. From GAI, you've got a ton of traffic lights.

GAI's under the Class B and inside the SFRA. Those are generally non-issues, but they do add time & compress the traffic a bit lower in altitude. Add in the additional time in the air, and KFDK probably is faster in terms of total time (for non-rush-hour).

That said, either one works.

Thanks guys. If the trip happens it will be arrive sunday and deapart sunday so looks like I270 traffic won't be a big deal. We'll see what happens.

Back