Who do you think was more at fault?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

No Joy

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
No Joy
Airlines, especially US Airways have a history of discriminating against the disabled. I'm not familiar with the layout, but I suspect this could have been resolved by relocating the blind man and the service dog to a more appropriate seating arrangement. (IE just behind a bulkhead.)

Think about it. If passengers were willing to speak up and boycott the flight, don't you think they would have likely been willing to swap seats to better accommodate the blind man and his dog?

Airlines should attempt to seat people with large service dogs where there is more foot room and where they can more safely travel. (Typically just behind a bulkhead)

It seems yet again that instead of being flexible and making reasonable accommodations; the airline has yet again chosen to be short on brains and big on bullying. It seems yet again, that the airline escalated things.

Airline policies need to change. ADA laws need to apply to Airlines. They should not be able to unreasonably discriminate against the disabled. The airlines keep on abusing passengers, because they can get away with it. I think the government is part of the problem, because they've given to Airlines excessive immunity.

Blind Man Booted Off Plane After Service Dog Leaves Seat
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/weird/US-Air-Blind-Man-Guide-Dog-Kicked-Off-231883191.html

Blind man, service dog kicked off US Airways plane; passengers object
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=9325216

US Airways Passengers Mutiny After Pilot Kicks Blind Man Off Plane
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...zi_n_4275353.html?utm_hp_ref=impact&ir=Impact

A legally blind man was kicked off a US Airways flight Wednesday night after crew members grew upset over his seeing eye dog, Doxy. Also given the boot? About 30 other passengers, who effectively mutinied over the man's treatment, causing the flight to be canceled.
Shame on the airline. Bravo for passengers that spoke up, and "boycotted" (kicked off) the airline in protest.

This seems another case that the airline ignorantly and bigotedly bullied the disabled with a service dog.

I understand and agree that a dog shouldn't be in the aisle during takeoff or landing. My point being is that if the passenger and service dog was better accommodated, the dog probably wouldn't have been in the aisle. The policy of keeping service dogs under other people's seats seems ridiculous. And it seems ridiculous to expect a large service dog to fit under a seat.

I would like to see diagrams, dimensions and photos of how airlines expect disabled people and service dogs to be arranged. I would like to see airline employees underneath seats for several hours at a time on the tarmac. I get the impression that Airlines hire very ignorant and bigoted people.

I included links that include the airlines telling a very different story, though I'm highly skeptical of their story, it doesn't seem to hold water. Why would the crew feel threatened, unless most or all of the passengers sided against the airline?

You have serious issues. It's really getting tiring of all your inane "polls" and rants.

Yep. Didn't even have to look at the name when I saw the thread title.

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to be that angry on a daily basis.

I would not rush to judgement on this,until more facts are given. After an investigation ,and we hear from the passengers and crew. Even if you are a dog lover you can't have a dog walking the aisle.

I find the airline argument highly suspect. I've flown on countless flights with service animals and I've never seen one uncontrollably walking the aisles. Frankly, with an hour+ tarmac display, you'd likely have issues with more than just the dog.

Besides, I avoid flying US Airways so I don't have to fly with this guy (who appear s to be some super-duper frequent flyer which is why they tolerate him):

1_thumb169-408x264.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't fly US Airways because of their blatantly violating the US Flag Code.

I wouldn't fly US Airways because of their blatantly violating the US Flag Code.

How so. If you are talking about either the current (or former) livery, Stars and stripes in paint do not a flag make.

Then you'll add American to that, and now that they're the largest airline, good luck.

How so. If you are talking about either the current (or former) livery, Stars and stripes in paint do not a flag make.
Yes it does, you should read the code and the interpretations thereof. American's tail is also a violation (I see PA-11 beat me to it)

Taken to the extreme, BoA's logo is considered a violation.

I used to fly a LOT. Not so much anymore, thankfully. These days all of my flying is on TWA (Tim Winters' Airline) ;)

Last edited:
I would not rush to judgement on this,until more facts are given. After an investigation ,and we hear from the passengers and crew. Even if you are a dog lover you can't have a dog walking the aisle.

I understand and agree that a dog shouldn't be in the aisle during takeoff or landing. My point being is that if the passenger and service dog was better accommodated, the dog probably wouldn't have been in the aisle. The policy of keeping service dogs under other people's seats seems ridiculous. And it seems ridiculous to expect a large service dog to fit under a seat.

Passengers protest after blind man with guide dog kicked off plane
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/1...er-blind-man-with-guide-dog-kicked-off-plane/

Rizzi said he later learned there had been open seats on the plane. "She never tried to move me or anybody else to secure the aircraft the way she said needed to be secured," Rizzi said of the flight attendant.
The airline industry has a long history of being abusive and discriminatory against the disabled. Airlines are often derelict, lazy, bigoted, ignorant, incompetent, unreasonable, inflexible, bureaucratic and dictatorial. They are much like the government often is. They often seem to be drunk on power and think they can solve everything with poorly thought out rigid rules. It's obvious that the people making the rules have no clue what it is like to be disabled. Not everyone has the same disability, thus not everyone needs the same accommodations. Often the airlines and the government seems more blind, then the blind man in the story in the original post.

It's no wonder that the disabled and sometimes even other passengers get irate with airlines and other authorities, that abuse their authority to discriminate and otherwise harm the disabled.

I'm skeptical that all the details of any would be investigation be made public. I skeptical of the "investigation" by the airline, rather than doing an actual investigation, often abusive of authority's fabricate or manipulate "investigations"to have a finding that is favorable of the establishment, rather than seeking justice.

Investigations of safety, usually are high quality and nonbiased. However investigations of abuse of authority (including dereliction, incompetence, discrimination, etc.) are often quite biased.

Often airlines give reassurance that there is no abuse, but external investigations often find otherwise. I suspect most abuses are never reported and never investigated. I get the impression that airlines often stall and obfuscate to obstruct justice.

US Airways fined $1.2 million for wheelchair complaints
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/11/04/4439708/us-airways-fined-12-million-for.html

US Airways has agreed to pay $1.2 million in fines because it provided inadequate wheelchair service at the Charlotte and Philadelphia airports, leading to delays and even missed flights for disabled passengers, officials said Monday.

The U.S. Department of Transportation said it examined more than 300 complaints from passengers in Charlotte and Philadelphia from 2011 and 2012. About half of those were in Charlotte. The DOT said that was “only a sample” of the violations it uncovered at both airports.

Last edited:
I'd boycott them, but i'd have to pay almost twice as much for my flight to Dallas next week.

I find the airline argument highly suspect. I've flown on countless flights with service animals and I've never seen one uncontrollably walking the aisles. Frankly, with an hour+ tarmac display, you'd likely have issues with more than just the dog.

Besides, I avoid flying US Airways so I don't have to fly with this guy (who appear s to be some super-duper frequent flyer which is why they tolerate him):

1_thumb169-408x264.jpg

Don't drag me into this.

Well played, sir!!

Deja Vu. Didn't beat this dead horse like a month ago?

You have serious issues. It's really getting tiring of all your inane "polls" and rants.

Imflammatory rants, often with unsubstantiated "facts" bordering on....hm....are postings on the internet slander or libel?

Imflammatory rants, often with unsubstantiated "facts" bordering on....hm....are postings on the internet slander or libel?

Internet postings can certainly lead to actions for defamation.

I guess 450 pound passengers would fall into the disabled category as well. I wish they would issue a partial credit to me for the excess fat that is hanging over and under the arm rest into my space!

I'd boycott them, but i'd have to pay almost twice as much for my flight to Dallas next week.
No kidding. I just had to book an AMR flight from ORF to DFW for next week and it was more than double the US Air price. I ultimately had to do it because only AA offered the non stop and a connection wouldn't fit my tight schedule.

Libel -- it's in writing.

Defamation includes both slander and libel. I like to use the term because it avoids the whole slander vs. libel definition thing with an all-encompassing term.

No kidding. I just had to book an AMR flight from ORF to DFW for next week and it was more than double the US Air price. I ultimately had to do it because only AA offered the non stop and a connection wouldn't fit my tight schedule.

American has a direct flight for slightly more than double the cost. Alas, my time is not valuable enough to justify the expense :rofl:

I'm going out there to ferry someone's 150 back to NC

American has a direct flight for slightly more than double the cost. Alas, my time is not valuable enough to justify the expense :rofl:

I'm going out there to ferry someone's 150 back to NC

When are you going?

I'm bringing my 170 to Norfolk from Ft Worth next weekend.

Yup, just what the airlines need, more regulations.

I honestly believe our penchant for making laws and regulating every single thing we do, whether it involves many people's or just one person's behavior, is what is bringing this nation to its knees. I doubt if one day goes by without millions of people seeing something they disagree with or don't approve of thinking that we need to have a law against it.

We have already become the most regulated society on earth, yet here you are, demanding more regulations. Our jails are overflowing and people and their families are going without, due to our excessive and ridicules fines, penalties, and fees. In California, if you are fined for whatever amount, your fine is automatically tripled in penalties and fees.

Next you'll be wondering why airline tickets are so expensive.

We need to be ridding ourselves of laws and regulations, not adding more to the preposterous mountain high piles of them.

-John

When are you going?

I'm bringing my 170 to Norfolk from Ft Worth next weekend.

Saturday, arriving at 11:30am at DFW. The plane is at Gainesville, about an hour drive north of DFW.

If you are departing about the same time, PM me your schedule. I plan on stopping somewhere shortly after dark, but that depends on weather and the plane.

I'd love to make it to Nashville and hang out with my brother Saturday night, but that might be pushing it for one day.

Yup, just what the airlines need, more regulations.

I honestly believe our penchant for making laws and regulating every single thing we do, whether it involves many people's or just one person's behavior, is what is bringing this nation to its knees. I doubt if one day goes by without millions of people seeing something they disagree with or don't approve of thinking that we need to have a law against it.

We have already become the most regulated society on earth, yet here you are, demanding more regulations. Our jails are overflowing and people and their families are going without, due to our excessive and ridicules fines, penalties, and fees. In California, if you are fined for whatever amount, your fine is automatically tripled in penalties and fees.

Next you'll be wondering why airline tickets are so expensive.

We need to be ridding ourselves of laws and regulations, not adding more to the preposterous mountain high piles of them.

-John
I think the airlines are responsible for raising the prices. Allegedly there were seats open and there were probably passengers that were willing to switch seats. There were probably many solutions that could have solved the problems; but it seems the airline chose needlessly escalate the problems.

I think it's wrong to unnecessarily and recklessly violate the rights and freedoms of the disabled.

It probably wouldn't have cost any money for the airline to better advise seating.

It probably wouldn't have cost any money for the airline to suggest or allow (accommodate) the disabled passenger and service dog to a better seating arrangement.

I'm against airline regulations/policies that unnecessarily discriminate against the disabled.

I've often wondered how people would feel if a disabled passenger blocking an exit or aisle way lost a relative in an evacuation due to the disabled pax being unable to move quickly enough ? It's a dog eat dog world when people are panicked.

I've often wondered how people would feel if a disabled passenger blocking an exit or aisle way lost a relative in an evacuation due to the disabled pax being unable to move quickly enough ? It's a dog eat dog world when people are panicked.

Being disabled isn't normally a sin.

What about all the people that sinfully put others at risk?

• Spiked high heels that slow egress time, injure the wearer, and block following people?

• Other clothing with sharp objects that can damage slides? Spiked/studded belts, jeans, cufflinks, watches, necklaces, etc...?

• People that block aisleways, getting personal belongings out of overhead bins during emergency evacuations?

• People that take suitcases, baggage, purses, cameras and other carry-ons during emergency evacuations?

I wonder how many people have died or been injured because people have prioritized their own personal possessions as a higher priority; then their own and other peoples lives?

People with suitcases, purses and other personal belongings, walking away from crashes while other people are still burning in the aircraft.

Last edited:

Normal people: Damn. The real cause of the death was the fire. Bummer that the SHTF during evac. Airplanes burn fast . Condolences.

Americans: OMFGBBQWTF?!?!? Some slow ass blind guy got in ma' bro's way and he sucker punched that beeeyotch to get out! He tol' me dat was some scary sheeeeeet. We gonna sue da bastards for even letting that punk-azzz on da plane!

I'm against airline regulations/policies that unnecessarily discriminate against the disabled.

Are you in favor of government regulations forcing private businesses to accommodate "the disabled"?

My little picture framing business got nailed by an unscrupulous ADA attorney several years ago, the complaint was ridicules to say the least, but it still ended up costing me over eight thousand dollars, and my landlord over twenty thousand dollars.

We both had to hire an ADA compliance advisory firm. The laws are so ambiguous that both professional firms gave us conflicting requirements. Congress passed the laws that make it pretty much impossible for the small business owner to win in these cases. Congress was terrified to say no to any of the ADA demands.

The attorney that nailed me, and hundreds of other small businesses, putting many of them out of business entirely has since been disbarred and has moved to the Philippines.

After my experience with the ADA and their over the top demands, I find myself struggling to sympathize with their assorted plights.

I had a disabled friend who owned a manufacturing company that made products for the disabled, even he thought the attorneys complaint was ridicules. I lost anyway.

-John

Last edited:
Are you in favor of government regulations forcing private businesses to accommodate "the disabled"?
I'm for "fair and reasonable accommodation" of the disabled. Though the government, airlines and you have demonstrated poor judgment as to what is fair and reasonable.

Suggesting and letting the blind man and service dog swap to more appropriate seats would have probably met fair and reasonable accommodation. It probably wouldn't have cost the airline anything. It probably would have kept the dog out of the aisle for takeoff and landing. It probably would have met the needs of the blind man.

The problem with government, airlines and many other businesses; is they often exercise horrible judgment. They often want things done their way, regardless of who they hurt.

In a figure of speech, the stewardesses screwed the pooch. Airline policies and training seem to be insufficient/wrong.

My little picture framing business got nailed by an unscrupulous ADA attorney several years ago, the complaint was ridicules to say the least, but it still ended up costing me over eight thousand dollars, and my landlord over twenty thousand dollars.

We both had to hire an ADA compliance advisory firm. The laws are so ambiguous that both professional firms gave us conflicting requirements. Congress passed the laws that make it pretty much impossible for the small business owner to win in these cases. Congress was terrified to say no to any of the ADA demands.

The attorney that nailed me, and hundreds of other small businesses, putting many of them out of business entirely has since been disbarred and has moved to the Philippines.

After my experience with the ADA and their over the top demands, I find myself struggling to sympathize with their assorted plights.

I had a disabled friend who owned a manufacturing company that made products for the disabled, even he thought the attorneys complaint was ridicules. I lost anyway.

-John
(Not saying you are.) You shouldn't hold the abuses of a shyster and the government against the disabled.

I'm for "fair and reasonable accommodation" of the disabled. Though the government, airlines and you have demonstrated poor judgment as to what is fair and reasonable.

Suggesting and letting the blind man and service dog swap to more appropriate seats would have probably met fair and reasonable accommodation. It probably wouldn't have cost the airline anything. It probably would have kept the dog out of the aisle for takeoff and landing. It probably would have met the needs of the blind man.

The problem with government, airlines and many other businesses; is they often exercise horrible judgment. They often want things done their way, regardless of who they hurt.

In a figure of speech, the stewardesses screwed the pooch. Airline policies and training seem to be insufficient/wrong.

Please remind me what "poor judgement" I have demonstrated?

Dude, is everyday a battle for you?

Back