Boy Scout Aviation Merit Badge

cherokeeflyboy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokeeflyboy
Has anyone been involved in teaching scouts for this merit badge?
Any info would be appreciated.

cherokeeflyboy said:

Yes I have what do you want to know?

cherokeeflyboy said:
Yes, and it was less than a satisfactory experience for me.
The particular troop that I volunteered to help was running a merit badge mill; they were more interested in qualifying the kids for the next level (Star, Life, Eagle ranks) than in having any actual learning take place. After it was over, I told them that I would be glad to help again but I would require the scouts to do some reading beforehand (really minimal) and that I would also organize trips to the local airport for a tour of the tower, let the kids talk with a CFI, sit in a plane, etc. These activities would count towards the merit badge but can optionally be filled by other activites that don't include a trip to the airport.

They never called me back. :dunno:

Be that as it may, the program is still good; it was just this troop's execution that left much to be desired. I found on the internet a powerpoint presentation that teaches the necessary points that are required for the merit badge. If you (or any one else) would like this presentation I can email it to you but not until Monday when I get home. Send me an email to skipmiller323AThotmail.com. Replace the AT with the usual symbol and fire away!

OBTW I wrote a polite letter to Sporty's telling them what I was doing and asked for some of those 172 cockpit photographs. They were glad to ship me a bunch free of charge!

-Skip

For those of you that have Cub scouts there is an aviation related activity for the 3rd graders. Revolves around identifying aircraft.

Len

Back