Bouncebouncebounce

Kickin’ the man while he’s down on surgery day and probably full of nice pain killers. LOL. :)

I’m sure he doesn’t quite need a safe space or a participation trophy but dude... Hahahaha.

surgery? did I miss something? great, not only do I feel bad for disagreeing with FastEddie, but also I apparently missed a thread?

I've had surgery too, and yes them 'codones can take a little power out till you've landed.
Might have to go with MediumpacedEddieB temporarily..;)

Well geez it’s surgery day around here!

Yours go okay?

As I've been doing my transition training into my very own PA-32-300, I have been STRUGGLING with landings. They keep getting better as I work with my instructor, but I'm 12 hours and about 20 landings in, and all but 2 of them have been bouncey as heck.

It's probably a result of the fact that in the past 3 years, I've done only 30 some hours of flying that wasn't part of this transition training, alongside the fact that in my 200+ hours of flying, almost all of it was in the Cessna 172.

My instructor is trying to figure out how to communicate what I need to do. I'm probably coming in too fast, dropping too quickly, pulling back too much/too little. We're working on figuring it out, but still aren't 100% sure what's up.

I'm crossing the airport threshold between 80 and 85 knots, with full flaps. I flare, and then either balloon, or slam onto the runway, bouncing back up into the air. Which either results in a go around or working the plane back down to the ground... I also sort of... freeze right as I get down to the ground and start the flare... Which is probably another problem that is happening.

I'll be flying again tonight with my instructor, but if any of you have any ideas/tips, I'd love to hear them! Besides just "practice practice practice" with my instructor. :) :)

The landing phase lasts only about 5 seconds, which is why it is difficult to get much practice. You have to spend about 5 minutes to work on a 5-second event. One way you can extend the landing phase is by adding some power in the flare. Pick a very long runway (10,000 ft), add some power in the flare, and keep it one foot off the runway for as long as you can, and then go-around. Depending on the length of the runway, you may be able to get 30-60 seconds of practice for each landing.

Last edited:
Fly it to the runway. I same problems transitioning to my 182...I would chop the power and it would drop like a rock. Early on I bounced myself into a go-around. Once my CFI taught me to fly it to the touchdown and not idle till wheels down, it was then that I was able to understand and start to get a feel for the proper energy management then could start anticipating that power curve for smooth power off touchdowns.

What is Vso? 85 Sounds really fast across the threshold.

Back