bought one of these today

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=8

We came upon a deer that had been hit by a car, and had nothing to dispatch the deer and had to watch it die. slowly very slowly.

I desided that one of the SpringField 1911-A1 was what we wanted as home security too.
It will be carried in the car/truck/motorhome. so we also applied for a C/C permit.

your thoughts ?

I have a Springfield 1911 that I've put several K rounds through. It's been rock solid.

Good on you for taking charge of your life and not being helpless. Make sure to get good training (including instinctive point shooting) and PRACTICE.

ETA: Dispatching a wounded animal on a roadway with a firearm can get you in a load of trouble. Be careful and know your laws. They vary from State to state for sure, even between counties and cities.

ETA2: double check your reciprocity laws for the carry permit you get.

Last edited:
I have a Springfield 1911 that I've put several K rounds through. It's been rock solid.

Good on you for taking charge of your life and not being helpless. Make sure to get good training (including instinctive point shooting) and PRACTICE.

ETA: Dispatching a wounded animal on a roadway with a firearm can get you in a load of trouble. Be careful and know your laws. They vary from State to state for sure, even between counties and cities.

ETA2: double check your reciprocity laws for the carry permit you get.

In Wa. we are allowed to put a wounded animal out of its missery. we can't keep any part of it.

I have owned and collected gun all of adult my life, I have alway been in charge of my life.

The Wa, C/C permit, is good in all states that one is required except NY, Wis, and parts of Ill.

We in Wa do not require a C/C unless you carry hiden. out in the open is allowed, but I believe that invites a break in or quick grab.

We came upon a deer that had been hit by a car, and had nothing to dispatch the deer and had to watch it die. slowly very slowly.

I desided that one of the SpringField 1911-A1 was what we wanted as home security too.
It will be carried in the car/truck/motorhome. so we also applied for a C/C permit.

your thoughts ?
Springfield makes a good 1911. A full-size (5") like that won't be easy to conceal on your body in the summer. If you don't plan on having to conceal it though and will just have it at home or in your vehicle with you it'll make a decent option.

My next purchase will be:
http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/ultracarry/ with night sights and a crimson trace (laser) grip.

I have a Thunderwear (same thing as the SmartCarry, goofier name). Used it a lot. Never found it to be a problem for day-to-day operations so long as I was wearing a t-shirt (i.e. easy access). Worked great. Once I was sitting, facing a friend who knew I had a Glock (didn't know it was on me), and he said "Too bad you didn't bring it or we could go shooting." Pulled it out and he was shocked - he had no idea I had the Glock on me.

If I'm wearing a jacket I use a Miami Classic holster. Stylish and works great.

To the point - that 1911 looks like a nice gun. Hope it serves you well. Never shot a Springfield one, but heard good things.

I'm prejudiced :D www.wilsoncombat.com

Carry gun is a lightweight CQB compact in a prototype beltslide type holster that snaps on and off the belt easily (great for women!).

Springfield makes a good 1911. A full-size (5") like that won't be easy to conceal on your body in the summer. If you don't plan on having to conceal it though and will just have it at home or in your vehicle with you it'll make a decent option.

My next purchase will be:
http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/ultracarry/ with night sights and a crimson trace (laser) grip.

Laser grips are awesome, especially useful at night, but also for assisting in aimed firing. I have laser grips on my CQB as well as the tritium night sights. And they add essentially no weight to the gun. Kimber and Springfield make some really nice stuff too. My only suggestion is that you make sure you put some rounds of the ammo that you are going to carry through them before you actually carry them. Some guns don't like all types of ammo.

I carry a Kimber Pro Carry II in a Galco holster. It's easy to carry in the winter, but I would like something lighter for summertime carry.

The Springfields are definitely nice 1911s. I have an RIA which is solid, but the Springfield is clearly better if you are looking to upgrade it in the future. Definitely one of the bargins of the 1911 world.

I personally carry a Kel-tec PF-9, but that is a 9mm that can be carried concealed by just about anyone :)

your thoughts ?

You can not go wrong with a Springfield Armory 1911. I have their FBI model, and the fit and finish was perfect.

The Wa, C/C permit, is good in all states that one is required except NY, Wis, and parts of Ill.

Be very careful on reciprocity. Colorado does not honor the Washington permit. However, in Colorado a loaded handgun can be carried in a vehicle and it is by definition not concealed.

I use www.handgunlaw.us because it has links to each state's laws.

I like the Springfield 1911-A1. I did replace the grips and the trigger group, polished the ramp, and had a smith fit a barrel bushing. The reason I like it is that it is very reliable and the trigger is nearly perfect. I don't carry it very often, but I like it.

The Kahr P45, now that is a carry gun...nice size and reasonably accurate.

Not sure who told you that Tom but it is not the case. A *LOT* of states won't honor a WA CCW permit....Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina...and more...

Be very careful..look up the laws for each state..don't use third party websites. Also don't trust my advice above because it may be wrong. But I can tell you your list is not right.

Congrats, I really like 1911 style pistols as well as Springfield. My main carry guns are a Kimber Ultra Carry II with CTC laser grips, and a Springfiled XD-9 sub. (both 3")

I'm casually looking for a nice 5" 1911 for fun, maybe competitive shooting.

I carry in the Smartcarry in the summer and a Milt Sparks VM-2 in the winter.

Congrats, I really like 1911 style pistols as well as Springfield. My main carry guns are a Kimber Ultra Carry II with CTC laser grips, and a Springfiled XD-9 sub. (both 3")

I'm casually looking for a nice 5" 1911 for fun, maybe competitive shooting.

I carry in the Smartcarry in the summer and a Milt Sparks VM-2 in the winter.

Actually I thought that the S&W 1911 felt better in my hand, it had better stippling, both front and back of the grip, but the ramp wasn't polished nor was the finish as nice. and the clip wasn't as smooth going in and out, the springfield clip drops right out when the button is pushed.

Every one I talked to said that Barb wouldn't like shooting it due to the kick. I figure that if she ever shoots it, once should do the trick.

even with body armore, this 45 will knock you down.

I brought it home today, along with 2 CCWs

Attachments

• DSCN0425.jpg
    DSCN0425.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN0427.jpg
    DSCN0427.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 19
Looks nice. Now, go burn some ammo and have fun.

I shot a clip thru it today. it shoots better than I can, but I kept 7 on a dinner plate at 30 yards.

Not great, but good enough for now.

I shot a clip thru it today. it shoots better than I can, but I kept 7 on a dinner plate at 30 yards.

Better than you need to be. Long distance scenarios like that are extremely rare. Acting quickly up close on the other hand is more important.

For sure much better than I can shoot a pistol!

Some people at work let me try a pistol when visiting one of their farms. From 5 yards out, I didn't even touch the target. OTOH they were amazed someone from out east wasn't afraid of the gun.

I'm sure I'd have done better with a rifle, even at 100 yards.

Great choice. I've had a stainless Springfield Milspec 1911-A1 since 1994. Its got thousands and thousands of rounds through it at the range with no hiccups.

1911's are great.

Because we're pilots and fussy about terminology, can I be fussy about clip vs. magazine?

Also, I've heard very good things about the Springfield 1911s. I have a Springfield XD40 which I carry every day.

Because we're pilots and fussy about terminology, can I be fussy about clip vs. magazine?

Also, I've heard very good things about the Springfield 1911s. I have a Springfield XD40 which I carry every day.
Yeah , Yeah, I know, but clip is easier to spell.

Then you should shoot an M-1 Garand!

I have 1 of thoes, I have trouble getting the clip into the magazine, with out getting my thumb caught in the action.

I have 1 of thoes, I have trouble getting the clip into the magazine, with out getting my thumb caught in the action.

While a Garand thumb is a potential hazard of the weapon practice and attention to detail will prevent it. Me? I cheat and use two hands - hey, I'm not in or training for combat. Anyway, it's the only time I use a clip.:D

I've found that Garand Thumb is more likely when cleaning than loading. Stripping the first round out of the magazine slows the bolt down enough I can get my thumb out.

The key is to use the blade of the hand to hold back the bolt as you push the clip into the magazine.

Never got a garand thumb :thumbsup: while shooting competition service rifle :target: for years (knock wood) but just watch, now that I've said that, you KNOW what will happen the next time I shoot it! :mad3: :nono:

Ditto what Erich said above ... fingers and palm straight down and stiff, holding the bolt lever back, quickly rock fingers up and forward to clear the bolt, thumb "up and locked" :)

Last edited:
I have an Auto Ordinance Mil. Spec. 1911-1A. I love shooting it but it is not a practical concealed weapon. I have an Oklahoma C/C permit. In my car I have a Glock 30 (sub compact .45) in a pouch in my front seat. If I carry, which I rarely do I usually carry my Taurus .357 Magnum snubby. I have installed Crimson Trace laser grips to it and I can tell you it was well worth the money. I took it to the range to sight it in. After a few adjustments I was able to hit center mass at 20 yards using only the laser. That is pretty damn good for a 2” barrel. It is a little on the heavy side but that helps accuracy when your banging away with .357 cartridges. I prefer to target practice with .38 Special. If I told you how many guns of different types I own you would not believe me. They are currently insured for $10,000. My favorite home defense weapon would have to be my Remington 1100 Tactical. It holds 8 in the tube and one in the pipe. I keep it loaded with #4 buck.

I have an Auto Ordinance Mil. Spec. 1911-1A. I love shooting it but it is not a practical concealed weapon. I have an Oklahoma C/C permit. In my car I have a Glock 30 (sub compact .45) in a pouch in my front seat. If I carry, which I rarely do I usually carry my Taurus .357 Magnum snubby. I have installed Crimson Trace laser grips to it and I can tell you it was well worth the money. I took it to the range to sight it in. After a few adjustments I was able to hit center mass at 20 yards using only the laser. That is pretty damn good for a 2” barrel. It is a little on the heavy side but that helps accuracy when your banging away with .357 cartridges. I prefer to target practice with .38 Special. If I told you how many guns of different types I own you would not believe me. They are currently insured for $10,000. My favorite home defense weapon would have to be my Remington 1100 Tactical. It holds 8 in the tube and one in the pipe. I keep it loaded with #4 buck.

That's good shooting! My first CC weapon was a Ruger SP101 with a 2" barrel. I could not hit the broad side of a barn with it, even with .38 specials, and the recoil with .357 magnums made my hand tingle. I traded it for a .40 Glock 27, which was significantly better.

[B said:
David_L_Wilson[/b];501207]I have an Auto Ordinance Mil. Spec. 1911-1A. I love shooting it but it is not a practical concealed weapon. I have an Oklahoma C/C permit. In my car I have a Glock 30 (sub compact .45) in a pouch in my front seat. If I carry, which I rarely do I usually carry my Taurus .357 Magnum snubby. I have installed Crimson Trace laser grips to it and I can tell you it was well worth the money. I took it to the range to sight it in. After a few adjustments I was able to hit center mass at 20 yards using only the laser. That is pretty damn good for a 2” barrel. It is a little on the heavy side but that helps accuracy when your banging away with .357 cartridges. I prefer to target practice with .38 Special. If I told you how many guns of different types I own you would not believe me. They are currently insured for $10,000. My favorite home defense weapon would have to be my Remington 1100 Tactical. It holds 8 in the tube and one in the pipe. I keep it loaded with #4 buck.
Why anyone would put this on the internet is beyond me.

Not sure who told you that Tom but it is not the case. A *LOT* of states won't honor a WA CCW permit....Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina...and more...

Be very careful..look up the laws for each state..don't use third party websites. Also don't trust my advice above because it may be wrong. But I can tell you your list is not right.
Ditto - I'm pretty sure NC doesn't honor it... NC cain't even SPELL reciprocity. :no:

Just google " hand gun laws" there are about 50 sites that explane the laws in each state.

I'm learning too.

Just google " hand gun laws" there are about 50 sites that explane the laws in each state.

I'm learning too.
Those sites are often very wrong. I suggest you find the website of the state you plan on visiting and look at their official statement. They all have a list of whose they'll accept.

Those sites are often very wrong. I suggest you find the website of the state you plan on visiting and look at their official statement. They all have a list of whose they'll accept.

I wouldn't expect a cop who stopped and questioned me in a state I was visiting to know the reciprocity laws for all 49 other states, either. I think I'd print and keep that official list from the State's website in my vehicle while on the trip...

Back