Bought into a Cheetah Partnership

numl0ck

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Steve
The other day I joined the informal Grumman club on PoA and bought a 1/4 share of a 1977 Cheetah.

Pics of N9908U:
cheetah.jpg

cockpit_cheetah.jpg

My only gripe, if there is one, is the semi-outdated avionics. The GPS is an Apollo GX-60 (also COM1), and the COM2/NAV radio. But everything is in great working condition (the plane came out of anual earlier this week with only one set of plugs and breaks needing to be replaced), and the plane is immaculate inside and out.

I absolutely LOVE the visibility in this plane. I don't know if I'll ever get used to how good the view is. And it's much much quieter than the C172's I've been flying.

My plan is to spend a few hours with a CFI going through maneuvers, emergency procedures etc... and then fly the heck out of it! I am one very happy co-owner. :D

Last edited:
Congrats....

Is the GPS IFR certified?

images
Grumman Cheetahs and Tigers are nice birds.

Real nice looking airplane. Looks like it has the metal panel upgrade. When you are ready, fly down to 47N in NJ and I'll buy you lunch and we can talk Grummans.

Mike in NJ (Tiger Owner)

You'll do best if you get someone who really knows Grummans to give you your checkout. There are a few good Grumman CFI's in the CT area, including David Feinstein out of Bridgeport. If you're an AYA member, you can contact the AYA's Pilot Familiarization Program Director to get a list of more PFPI's in your area. And if you're not an AYA member, you should be -- it's the owner's group for the Grummans, and can provide a lot of information and support (as well as quite a few social activities). See http://www.aya.org for more.

Haha, nice! Congratulations! Love the paint job.

Coincidentally, I very recently also bought a share in a Grumman Cheetah (just last month), but one still with its original paint scheme and interior, very groovy...

Front%2520Right.jpg

I really dig the visibility too, and am looking forward to a couple of long trips in the weeks/months to come. Did my first solo in it right around Thanksgiving, returning it to home base (San Jose) from Hayward where I did my checkout. Fun!

Haha, nice! Congratulations! Love the paint job.

Coincidentally, I very recently also bought a share in a Grumman Cheetah (just last month), but one still with its original paint scheme and interior, very groovy...

Front%2520Right.jpg

I really dig the visibility too, and am looking forward to a couple of long trips in the weeks/months to come. Did my first solo in it right around Thanksgiving, returning it to home base (San Jose) from Hayward where I did my checkout. Fun!

First: welcome to POA!

Very nice!!...in a Mystery Machine kind-of-way ;). I've learned (from the club planes I flown) that paint doesn't matter, and you don't see it once your inside the plane anyway. However, walking up to it on the ramp is a different story. :redface:

Congrats on the ownership. I am sure you will very much enjoy the freedom.

Congratulations! :D

Now that you're here to take my place, I can get on with selling the Yankee ... :cool:

I had one with the "160 hp" high-compression STC, and routinely saw 120 KTAS at about 7.6 gph.
My experience in type suggests that was up around 9000 MSL or higher. Probably won't get that speed at lower altitudes on that fuel flow.

Looks good! Is that a backup electric AI in lieu of a turn coordinator?

First: welcome to POA!
Very nice!!...in a Mystery Machine kind-of-way ;). I've learned (from the club planes I flown) that paint doesn't matter, and you don't see it once your inside the plane anyway. However, walking up to it on the ramp is a different story. :redface:

Thanks, Steve! Yes, I don't see the paint (or seats) when I'm flying :) but it does take away a little from the cool factor, unless I start dressing like Austin Powers perhaps ;)

I'm envious of you both. Very good-looking planes!

Thanks, Steve! Yes, I don't see the paint (or seats) when I'm flying :) but it does take away a little from the cool factor, unless I start dressing like Austin Powers perhaps ;)

If it's the Mystery Machine theme, then the mode of dress is more like this guy:

fred.jpg

And I tease because I jealous.... of both of you

(interesting link where I got the image. A comparison of Paranormal investigations between modern and vintage TV shows: http://www.ghosthuntingtheories.com/2012/05/scooby-doo-todays-paranormal-shows.html)

Last edited:
Okay...quite jealous! I recently went all in on a Tiger, she needs some work (paint and panel upgrade...working on the panel now) but is a great bird! Do you by chance know who did your panel overlay? Perhaps in the MX logs? It looks very nice.

Grummans are amazing, and quite honestly you are going to find the community is STRONG. Be sure to join AYA, and get on the Grumman Gang email distro-list. It is a MUST for any Grumman owner.

That's exactly what it is. Didn't realized it "changed" the turn coordinator from the standard one.
Oh, yes, it certainly does. That box contains the autopilot as well as the TC, just like the S-Tec 20/30. IIRC, the C-I unit is about twice as long as a plain TC.

Lol, thanks Ron...I typed that quickly during a quick lunch break, didn't take initiative and follow up with links.

Thanks guys. Joined AYA and I've been reading the Grumman.net emails for at least a month now. I like seeing all the flyin notifications, it makes me feel like i'll have destinations to go to and meet nice, fun people.

I'll look into the panel overlay when I get my hands on the logs. One if the other partner has them right now.

I must say, reading all the comments here makes me really happy and helps solidify my decision. I can't wait to fly it again (maybe Wednesday!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks guys. Joined AYA and I've been reading the Grumman.net emails for at least a month now. I like seeing all the flyin notifications, it makes me feel like i'll have destinations to go to and meet nice, fun people.
Since you're in New England, you can start with this one:

Date: Dec 15
Time: 11:00
Where: Kolbelt Airport, Wallkill, NY (N45)
What: Basic lunch get-together

Let the AYA Northeast RD know you're coming -- ne@aya.org. Depending how late I get back from Peru Friday night, I might be there myself.

Since you're in New England, you can start with this one:

Date: Dec 15
Time: 11:00
Where: Kolbelt Airport, Wallkill, NY (N45)
What: Basic lunch get-together

Let the AYA Northeast RD know you're coming -- ne@aya.org. Depending how late I get back from Peru Friday night, I might be there myself.
I will try to make that, thanks!

Maybe I missed it, but does it have the HC engine upgrade? That is a very worthwhile mod.

Maybe I missed it, but does it have the HC engine upgrade? That is a very worthwhile mod.

Yup! It has the "160hp" STC.

Climbing out of WST at 85kts the VSI is right on 1000fpm and I can still easly see over the cowling. That's a huge change from the 180hp 172N where I climb at 800fpm and can bairly see over the cowling with the seat raised all the way up. Pretty sweet. :D

I also really like the trim wheel location vs the Cessna. I always felt like I was leaning forward to reach it and it would take its toll on my back on a long flight.

The flaps on the other hand...I like being able to push the switch into a notch and let them do their thing. Holding the switch for a few seconds will take some getting used to and change my routine a bit in the pattern. That and the fuel pump. Going to have to get used to that. :yes:

Back