Bought (another) plane

dweyant

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dan
About a year ago I was going through some of my grandfathers stuff (he passed away about 7 years ago) with my grandmother.

We found a wallet that had a bunch of old membership cards. Elks, Rotary, army ID, etc. It also had his pilots certificate.

My Grandfather had desperately wanted to fly in World War II. Unfortunately(?) for him he was on the young side and when he did get drafted he wound up as a side gunner in a B-17. He was your typical WWII veteran that almost never talked about his service, but a couple times when he was in the right mood he would start to tell a story, and I'd just shut up and listen.

After the war he started a family, and when my mother was young he finally was able to get his pilots license, and he bought a J-3 Cub. He only had the plane for a few years, having two young daughters, working full time as a furniture upholsterer and owning a restaurant didn't leave a lot of time to fly.

But until the day he died he talked about that airplane. After his wife, kids and grandkids I think he loved that plane and the times he spent flying it more than anything else.

He passed away about seven years ago, and while he had expressed an interest in wanting me to get my pilots license I never had.

I finally got to a point in my life a few years that I could afford to get my pilots license and own a plane. We (my wife and I) bought a Cardinal with some friends and proceeded to fly it all over the country.

My wife and I enjoyed the Cardinal so much we moved to an Aviation community, and built an RV-9A. I did first flight on it in April, and have just over 110 hours on it since then.

After finding my grandfathers pilot certificate I started to think, how cool would it be to fly in a J-3, or better yet own one.

I mentioned it to my Grandmother and she had one picture of his J-3. An old grainy black and white with him and my mother (at about five) standing in front of the plane). I was able to read the Tail number (except for the next to last digit) off of the picture.

I made the comment to her, wouldn't it be cool to find his airplane.

Well, fast forward about a year. After a lot of digging through log, FAA databases and the internet I finally found the correct tail number, (Of the ten it could have been, it was the tenth I researched).

After I had the tail number I was able to track the plane down. It was involved in a ground loop accident about 18 months ago. The damage wasn't huge, but the insurance company totaled the plane.

I was able to hunt down the gentleman that purchased the salvage, and after speaking with him, and telling him my story he agreed to sell the plane to me.

I still need to arrange getting the plane to me (it is about 1000 miles away), but I'm incredibly excited. I never dreamed that I would ever get to see his airplane (or that it still existed) much less have the change to restore it, fly and own the very airplane that was such a huge part of his life.

-Dan

About a year ago I was going through some of my grandfathers stuff (he passed away about 7 years ago) with my grandmother.

We found a wallet that had a bunch of old membership cards. Elks, Rotary, army ID, etc. It also had his pilots certificate.

My Grandfather had desperately wanted to fly in World War II. Unfortunately(?) for him he was on the young side and when he did get drafted he wound up as a side gunner in a B-17. He was your typical WWII veteran that almost never talked about his service, but a couple times when he was in the right mood he would start to tell a story, and I'd just shut up and listen.

After the war he started a family, and when my mother was young he finally was able to get his pilots license, and he bought a J-3 Cub. He only had the plane for a few years, having two young daughters, working full time as a furniture upholsterer and owning a restaurant didn't leave a lot of time to fly.

But until the day he died he talked about that airplane. After his wife, kids and grandkids I think he loved that plane and the times he spent flying it more than anything else.

He passed away about seven years ago, and while he had expressed an interest in wanting me to get my pilots license I never had.

I finally got to a point in my life a few years that I could afford to get my pilots license and own a plane. We (my wife and I) bought a Cardinal with some friends and proceeded to fly it all over the country.

My wife and I enjoyed the Cardinal so much we moved to an Aviation community, and built an RV-9A. I did first flight on it in April, and have just over 110 hours on it since then.

After finding my grandfathers pilot certificate I started to think, how cool would it be to fly in a J-3, or better yet own one.

I mentioned it to my Grandmother and she had one picture of his J-3. An old grainy black and white with him and my mother (at about five) standing in front of the plane). I was able to read the Tail number (except for the next to last digit) off of the picture.

I made the comment to her, wouldn't it be cool to find his airplane.

Well, fast forward about a year. After a lot of digging through log, FAA databases and the internet I finally found the correct tail number, (Of the ten it could have been, it was the tenth I researched).

After I had the tail number I was able to track the plane down. It was involved in a ground loop accident about 18 months ago. The damage wasn't huge, but the insurance company totaled the plane.

I was able to hunt down the gentleman that purchased the salvage, and after speaking with him, and telling him my story he agreed to sell the plane to me.

I still need to arrange getting the plane to me (it is about 1000 miles away), but I'm incredibly excited. I never dreamed that I would ever get to see his airplane (or that it still existed) much less have the change to restore it, fly and own the very airplane that was such a huge part of his life.

-Dan

Touching story, where is the aircraft and where must it go. have trailer, can travel .

Great story, good luck in the restoration.

Nice story,hope it works out for you,enjoy your memories and your flights.

Dan, that is an excellent story! I cannot wait to see the pictures of you standing in front of it like he was so many years ago. Good luck!

That's awesome! And Tom isn't too far away from Boise...

This is an awesome story. We only get one run on this one, but what we do down here echos in eternity. Def go for it and post pictures of the adventure!

Incredible story! I've wanted to track down some of my grandfather's planes, too, but don't know how to beyond the FAAs N-Number Inquiry website. How'd you do it?

Great story. Please keep us posted on the recovery and renovation efforts. This is the kind of stuff I love reading about here.

This is a great story. Add me to the list of people who will host Tom, the trailer, and the Cub as it travels from Boise to Austin.

(Shoot, this could be a better adventure than The Monkey.)

Great story, thanks for sharing it with us. I'm looking forward to following this adventure and your restoration. So.....you will post pictures, right?

Congratulations!! awesome story.. WE need documentation from the road trip to get it all the way to the 1st flight!!

Great story, thanks for sharing it with us. I'm looking forward to following this adventure and your restoration. So.....you will post pictures, right?

Thanks, I'm really excited about this.

I'll get some pictures posted soon, and when I start the restoration I'll do a log.

-Dan

Incredible story! I've wanted to track down some of my grandfather's planes, too, but don't know how to beyond the FAAs N-Number Inquiry website. How'd you do it?

I started out with the FAA database. I used it to determine it was likely one of ten planes, all J-3 Cubs. I imagine Piper reserved large blocks of N numbers.

I was able to eliminate a couple of them by using the FAA online tools. A couple of the N numbers had been reassigned to other planes.

Ultimately I was left with seven planes that it could have been. I ordered the FAA data CD on the four I thought the most likely. The FAA was surprisingly quick in getting the CD's to me ($10 each and less than a week turnaround). I then had to go through all of the records by hand. It was quite interesting to see the entire history of each plane, but somewhat tedious.

It wasn't any of those planes, so I ordered the other three that still showed as being assigned to a J-3. It wound up being the very last plane I looked at :).

-Dan

Lots of luck getting the J-3 flying again. Love to see pictures, and maybe in person...I have a lot of relatives in Austin (GREAT city)

These WWII guys were a special breed, true hero's who just did their job, never complained, and never wanted to be in the spotlight.

Thank you for your Grandfathers service. :thumbsup:

You should video this all the way through. It'd make for an awesome video

It is in Boise, and I need to get it to Austin.

-Dan
How soon must you have it moved? We are planing a trip to San Antonio in the early spring, and it's on the way.

Or .

Would you rather have me go get it, bring it here, restore it, and have you come fly it home. ??

If you go for that, I'd do the transport for costs. basically a tank of diesel for the coach.

Last edited:
What an adventure. Flying a Cub from The NorthWest to Texas.

Very cool! Post some pics of the restoration.

Sounds like the making of an awesome documentary. If you(or anyone close to you) are an aspiring filmmaker, record every bit of this account at the very least for your grandchildren. Keep us posted.

How soon must you have it moved? We are planing a trip to San Antonio in the early spring, and it's on the way.

Tom,

I'm not in a big hurry, but I'm not sure about the seller.

Any idea when you will be heading to San Antonio?

I'd be interested in talking with you about helping me get the plane airworthy.

-Dan

Tom,

I'm not in a big hurry, but I'm not sure about the seller.

Any idea when you will be heading to San Antonio?

I'd be interested in talking with you about helping me get the plane airworthy.

-Dan

We are planing late Feb, early March.

Send me pictures. See PM for E-mail addy

If Tom were to bring it back to his shop, I'd be willing to be his co-driver to Boise and back.

If Tom were to bring it back to his shop, I'd be willing to be his co-driver to Boise and back.

That's no problem, we have a motor home that pulls the trailer, we over night anywhere.
Barb is an excellent driver/navigator/cook.

I think you might be spoiled. ;)

You know it.. :)

We normally are on the road by day light and off the road by dark.

our trip to Boise I'd probably over night at the airport in Ontario Or. we simply pull onto the airport ramp drop the jacks, level up. put out the slide, sit back and watch a movie, while having a drink with dinner.

Are you at western?

I wish but if I lived there I couldn't afford to rent a plane. ;) I'm about 5 minutes from there. I tend to rent from both Puyallup and Olympia evenly but am looking at a partnership in a M20E out of Renton with a friend.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Back