Bought an AstroTech LC-2, Do I need paperwork?

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Bought an LC-2 From a salvage yard, I stuck it to the battery, it works. Manufactures site doesn't say much about STC/PMA or any of that. I have the install diagram, the sales brochure and the operating manual but no paperwork on blessing it for install in my panel? What do I need to do to make my IA happy?

I was amazed the thing actually powered up and kept time without paperwork :D

Bought an LC-2 From a salvage yard, I stuck it to the battery, it works. Manufactures site doesn't say much about STC/PMA or any of that. I have the install diagram, the sales brochure and the operating manual but no paperwork on blessing it for install in my panel? What do I need to do to make my IA happy?

I was amazed the thing actually powered up and kept time without paperwork :D

Call and find out.

He said to find him supermodel girlfriend and a winning lottery ticket.
Wow, you should come to me instead, I only need a pound of $20s to be happy:lol:

But in the end I would talk to him and see what his opinion is, Mine coming from the land of a different FSDO might not be a 1:1 substitution.

Wow, you should come to me instead, I only need a pound of $20s to be happy:lol:

But in the end I would talk to him and see what his opinion is, Mine coming from the land of a different FSDO might not be a 1:1 substitution.

He told me to bring him the paperwork showing a STC or PMA or a personal letter from Randy Babbit or whatever it is that leads astrotech to believe the product can be installed in piper cherokees. Hence asking the question here.

According to the installation instructions, it is not PMA'd for general use, and thus requires field approval as a "major alteration" on a 337 for aircraft other than those with specific approval already, such as the PA-46 mentioned above and several Beech models. I suggest contacting AstroTech for further guidance.

9 Iron Bridge Road
Collegeville, PA 19426
Phone (494) 902-1100
Fax (494) 902-1150

According to the installation instructions, it is not PMA'd for general use, and thus requires field approval as a "major alteration" on a 337 for aircraft other than those with specific approval already, such as the PA-46 mentioned above and several Beech models. I suggest contacting AstroTech for further guidance.

9 Iron Bridge Road
Collegeville, PA 19426
Phone (494) 902-1100
Fax (494) 902-1150

IIRC The Beech models are for a different version of the LC-2 which is screwed into the yoke as well as some piper models that mount into the yoke also. I have already contacted ADSTraisicoil for more information, waiting on a reply.
I figured this was a no-brainer, simple device that came out of a cherokee, and I see em in all shapes and sizes of certified aircraft.

IIRC The Beech models are for a different version of the LC-2 which is screwed into the yoke as well as some piper models that mount into the yoke also. I have already contacted ADSTraisicoil for more information, waiting on a reply.
I figured this was a no-brainer, simple device that came out of a cherokee, and I see em in all shapes and sizes of certified aircraft.
I've seen a lot of things in airplanes that weren't FAA-legal. I prefer to do my homework first, and the installation legally, so there is no problem if the FAA ever gets in my plane. Sounds like you're on the right path.

Sounds like a loada crap to me for a steenkin' clock. Does anybody ever actually address this stuff with the FAA? I mean, how much "certification" would be necessary here?

Sounds like a loada crap to me for a steenkin' clock.
I cannot argue with that other than to say the regs are what they are, and I choose to obey them whenever possible without compromising safety.

Does anybody ever actually address this stuff with the FAA? I mean, how much "certification" would be necessary here?
You'd have to ask the folks in AFS-300 about that.

Federal Aviation Administration Headquarters
Aircraft Maintenance Division, AFS-300
5th Floor, 950 L'Enfant Plaza, S.W.
Washington, DC 20024

Phone: (202)385-6435
Fax: (202)385-6474

Sounds like a loada crap to me for a steenkin' clock. Does anybody ever actually address this stuff with the FAA? I mean, how much "certification" would be necessary here?

If you can figure in the fact that some models don't even wire into the electrical system and install consists of placing 2 AA batteries in the back (good for 2 years) and screwing it in to the panel via 4 screws.... :rolleyes2:

If you can figure in the fact that some models don't even wire into the electrical system and install consists of placing 2 AA batteries in the back (good for 2 years) and screwing it in to the panel via 4 screws.... :rolleyes2:

It's not that it will hurt the plane that becomes the issue, it's that it is intended to be used for one of the big Ts of IFR flying that the hang up comes in. Even for VFR ops it's your "primamary" fuel guage.

Not saying I agree with it being as big a deal as it is, but, well you get the idea.

If you're not using it to replace the installed clock necessary for IFR operations, you can do that with Velcro without any paperwork or approval at all. But the clock filling the 91.205(d)(6) square must be "installed" (yes, there's case law on point), and then you have to jump through the certification and paperwork hoops.

Ah, grasshopper, you have entered the realm of gummint bureaucrats. Abandon all preconceived notions of "logic" and "appropriateness" -- they have no meaning here.

In this realm, runways cannot be altered without a $500K "study", nor can clocks be installed without "approval" by a bureaucrat.

In this realm, it is entirely logical to charge a third of a million bucks for a 50-year old Cessna 172, and to pay those bureaucrats $77/hour.

It is a system that is designed to make criminals of us all. Just install the stupid thing, and forget about it. It's a CLOCK.

If you're not using it to replace the installed clock necessary for IFR operations, you can do that with Velcro without any paperwork or approval at all. But the clock filling the 91.205(d)(6) square must be "installed" (yes, there's case law on point), and then you have to jump through the certification and paperwork hoops.

No, the old wind up sweeping hand is still in place and working just fine. I had a sporty's timer and hated it, and had a perfect hole for it in the panel that was bugging me, I picked this thing up cheap from Cherokee Salvage and thought it would be something light cheap and easy to fill the empty hole in my panel.... Guess that's what I get for thinking. :mad2:

It's yet another instance of the FAA insisting that a pilot bet his life on a 50 year old wind- up clock, or spend big $ on "certification" for a well proven technology to replace it.
It's not like lcd digital clocks are cutting edge tech.
Stupid. Just stupid.

Ah, grasshopper, you have entered the realm of gummint bureaucrats. Abandon all preconceived notions of "logic" and "appropriateness" -- they have no meaning here.

In this realm, runways cannot be altered without a $500K "study", nor can clocks be installed without "approval" by a bureaucrat.

In this realm, it is entirely logical to charge a third of a million bucks for a 50-year old Cessna 172, and to pay those bureaucrats $77/hour.

It is a system that is designed to make criminals of us all. Just install the stupid thing, and forget about it. It's a CLOCK.

Welp considering my A&P/IA runs his business out of (and owns) the hangar I keep my plane in, he's the one who signs off the annuals (and i would have no other) and my CFII. I don't think I'm going to pull this one over on him.

Last edited:
No, the old wind up sweeping hand is still in place and working just fine. I had a sporty's timer and hated it, and had a perfect hole for it in the panel that was bugging me, I picked this thing up cheap from Cherokee Salvage and thought it would be something light cheap and easy to fill the empty hole in my panel.... Guess that's what I get for thinking. :mad2:
That will make field approval easier, because then all you have to show is that it won't hurt anything. But don't jump off any cliffs yet -- you may hear something helpful from the mfr.

Yep, you got all uppity after finding those vent knobs at Radio Shack! :D

If you're just putting it in the panel as an auxiliary clock (timer) and still have the required clock, then it's just a logbook entry by an A&P.

Back