Bought an airplane

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to buy Matt Michael's Flybaby this weekend. David and I flew back from Ames Iowa in formation and it's sitting safely at Crete, NE in a hangar. A great day!

More to come later.

409652_3548515432060_1903075734_n.jpg

587DE596-504C-4741-AF99-CD7995297F06-2565-00000208291A0010.jpg

427334_3626622185605_924979254_n.jpg

So did you two come in and do an overhead break to break formation? :popcorn: Cool little plane, enjoy.:cheers:

Guess we know how you'll vote on the tipper vs slider debate. Looks like fun!

That is awesome...fun airplane! I've got about 400 hours in my Pietenpol.

I hope the canopy is removable. :)

Neat looking aircraft. Almost looks like a little warbird. Have fun flying it!

So today I just HAD to fly. Club's 172 is down for a major so I rented a Cherokee, first time I'd flown one of those in 3 months or flown anything in a month. I've got poor little N9TA out west of town, regaining my feel for the piper... switch the radio over to 122.75... and who do I hear? Jesse and David!

Congrats, Jesse... nice little plane. And holy crap, what a coincidence.

If i just went out and flew a plane home, I think I'd sleep in it (or right next to it) for some time (if I wasn't too excited to sleep). How cool is that - congrats!

Hopefully you'll get to post more photos (love the ones in the air).

Awesome!

From stuff we've talked about before (bikes, guns, etc), it seems like you do your research and make pretty thought-out decisions when you buy something, so brag about your plane for a minute and tell us what factors made you want to own it.

Congrats!

Congrats, Jesse. Flying your own airplane for the first time is a truly wonderful experience, and I find it doesn't get old with time. But there is something very special about that first flight when it's yours.

How awesome is that! Congrats Jesse!!

Awesome!

From stuff we've talked about before (bikes, guns, etc), it seems like you do your research and make pretty thought-out decisions when you buy something, so brag about your plane for a minute and tell us what factors made you want to own it.

Congrats!
Looking forward to this as well!

Smile, well-earned!

Congratulations, Jesse.

yippee! you'll have a lot of fun with it, as you know.

Welcome to "Bandit Row" @ CEK!

So named by the FSDO senior member who use to fly out of CEK. We drove him crazy and he sold his plane. ;)

I was wondering why there were a bunch of people at Matt's hangar poking around at his plane. I waived as I drove by, but didn't want to interrupt Matt in the middle of whatever he was doing. Maybe I should have stopped to say hello.

Enjoy your plane, I've heard it's great fun to fly.

Cool looking plane! Look out for the female plane groupies who will now flock to you wherever you go. B-) u

Whoo, Hoo! and congrats Jesse. Methinks your face is gonna hurt for a while from all that smiling.:D

There is one for sale here in mid Michigan also... Lost medical... Looks like roughly 400 hours on it... Anyone who is desperate to buy - call Harry Browne Airport KHYX, number is in the AFD and ask them to get you the phone number off the ad on the bulletin board....

There is one for sale here in mid Michigan also... Lost medical... Looks like roughly 400 hours on it... Anyone who is desperate to buy - call Harry Browne Airport KHYX, number is in the AFD and ask them to get you the phone number off the ad on the bulletin board....

You don't need a medical - they meet the requirements of a LSA.

Jessie bought Matt Michael's Fly Baby, which Matt had restored and modified. N48ML is an unusual Fly Baby, in that it's been optimized for cross-countries. Among the low-powered set, stock Fly Babies ain't bad for long distance work (Wendel Davenport flew his from California to Kitty Hawk for the 100th anniversary of the Wright Brother's first flight) but Matt did a bunch of modifications to N48ML.

In addition to the canopy and larger baggage compartment, Matt replaced the main fuel tank with a larger one and put in an auxiliary tank. He wrote up how it all worked as part of a description of his first long trip:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/stories/matt_trip.html

By the way, the canopy did *not* require modification to the basic airframe. Jessie should be able to swap the canopy for the stock coaming in a few minutes for some *serious* fun flying.
Michael_N48ML1.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
Congrats Jesse! That is too cool. I may have missed it, but what engine is in it?

Congratulations, Jesse! :D

I'd seen that Mike had put the plane up ... glad to know that it's found a good home.

See you at 6Y9!!

Cool looking plane! Look out for the female plane groupies who will now flock to you wherever you go. B-) u

I'm going to start going where Jessie does, I can promise you, this doesn't happen because you own a plane so it MUST be because of where Jessie goes...

Congrats Jess I figured it was a done deal when I saw the photo on FB. Fly her well!

Congratulations, Jesse!
You don't need a medical - they meet the requirements of a LSA.
True, but even for sport pilot you still need to self-certify that you're fit to fly. Perhaps he realized he was past the point where he would be able to do that.

COngrats, Jesse - a well deserved big ***-eating grin on your face!

Congrats, that thing looks like a lot of fun! Give us the details on the modifications / cross country improvements?

I know its not a true x/c plane but i'm sure its nice to have a single seat fuel sipper

Back