Botson Logan airport tire change

kmead

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
kmead
I got a call late yesterday afternoon from a Jetprop owner stranded at Logan with a flat main tire on a busy taxiway. The airport managed to get it moved over to a less busy taxiway. I got to Signature at 7:00 at night and out to the airplane through security by 8:00. New tire and tube on by 8:45.

The view from a truck on that busy ramp driving around the commercial ships and support equipment at night was fantastic. I never imagined the chaos at a busy departure time. I never knew really who has the right of way.

The airplane was about 2 miles from the FBO on this ramp with a great view of the downtown. It was like the final scene from Casablanca. I replaced the tire, the airport personnel bring out his AngelFlight passengers to the airplane and off they fly into the dark with me standing on the taxiway.

Fun stuff

The FBO at Logan can't change a tire???

25 years ago I was at EWR trying to get to BOS and a Eastern plane blew a tire in the middle of their mechanics strike and closed down the field for ours. I asked if I could have my bag back and drove up.

The FBO does not offer any service. Maybe everybody took an extra long weekend and wouldn't come over from some of the area airports.

We're living out here in NW MA most of the time so it was only a 2 hour trip for me. I helped this owner with the pre-buy and the two annuals since purchase. He's a great guy and he still had to get the AngelFlight passengers back to Niagra.

I'll do my best to help anyone in this business. I wouldn't have wanted to miss this experience.

Back