Boston

bluesky74656

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Todd Kooser
I'm looking at making a weekend trip to Boston later this year. Any suggestions for flying in? KBOS looks like it's very close to the city (we'd be staying downtown), but also looks very expensive and has security issues with GA.

Do any of the surrounding airports have public transportation access to downtown? Or how much would a cab be?

Is there any way to make KBOS palatable? I'm IFR rated and would be flying the Bonanza, so I'm not concerned with the actual flying part of flying into KBOS, but paying more for parking/security/landing than would cost me to buy a commercial ticket would be a turn off.

Where do you need to end up in Boston. I tend to use OWD when I go up there (I used to have a division in Woburn and relatives all over the area).

We're looking at hotels in the Back Bay or the North End.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are water taxis right from hotel by the airport across to Boston proper. Super easy. GA at Logan is out of my league can't help you there.

The fees are very high at KBOS,not very friendly.both KOWD ,KBED are in the vicinity ,both have public transportation to the city. KBED can get expensive and requires a prop lock. KOWD has an instrument approach,overnight parking fees,no landing fee.

If it were me, I'd go to either OWD or BVY (did my PPL Checkride there- not a bad place).

BOS does not want you and just isn't GA friendly. $9.30/gal for 100LL and stoopid MASSPORT fees that aren't waived with the gas. Last I heard, the fees were around $200 for a piston single and went up from there. Plus, you get to deal with the full blown TSA screening at the FBO. Not my idea of a good time.

I've heard BED isn't much friendlier than BOS, but I have never been there.

I'm not planning to get a car, so what are the public transportation options like at OWD or BVY? It looks like OWD you need to get a ride to and from the subway station.

OWD is great. The FBO is FlightLevel Aviation. They are friendly and really helpful. I was in there for a couple of days last week.

By far the easiest and least expensive way to get to the Back Bay is to ask FlightLevel to give you a ride over to either the Norwood Central or Norwood Depot commuter rail station. If they're tied up, they'll call you a cab that will cost less than $10 with tip. The commuter rail runs often (less often on weekends and holidays and at night). The one-way fare is $7 inbound to Boston and you can pay on the train with either cash or credit card. You can look up the schedule on the MBTA Commuter Rail webpages. Be aware, however, that some of the trains do not stop at Back Bay Station. Those will take you to South Station. From there, you can either catch a cab to Back Bay or take the subway.

Reversing it, you catch the outbound train at Back Bay (or South Station) and go to Norwood Central. Call FlightLevel and ask for a pickup or a cab.

The train takes about 25 minutes. I stayed at the Marriott in Copley Place last week. The whole trip from hotel to OWD took about an hour, given the ride to the station, the ride into town, and the walk to the hotel.

If that's too long, you can just get a cab from/to Boston-OWD. I've done it but it's about $80 and, at rush hour, might take just as long. Other times of the day, it's probably 25-minute cab right, or thereabouts.

Also, FlightLevel gives you one night free if you purchase fuel. If you need preheating (I did), they have several options. I've got an engine preheater in my plane, so I asked them to plug the plane in early in the morning of the day I was going to depart. That was the cheapest option and cost $20. Having them come out with some sort of preheater (not sure which, since I didn't need it) would cost $40 and towing it into their heated hangar for a while cost more, I think.

I'm not planning to get a car, so what are the public transportation options like at OWD or BVY? It looks like OWD you need to get a ride to and from the subway station.

If you aren't planning on getting a car, I think OWD is your best bet.

I flew to Boston last spring.

Was thinking I'd go to Norwood OWD, but opted for Marshfield 1B9 to the south - seemed about equal hassle with ground transport, but otherwise easier and friendlier. Not having been to Norwood, I can't truly compare; Marshfield just felt like a more comfortable alternative.
(I was coming up from New Bedford, rather than Detroit - so, I ruled out Beverly BVY)

Cabbed it from the airport to the train station in town. Probably could have bummed a ride if I'd arrived a bit earlier.
The train will get you to the South Station where you can grab the subway.

Parked on a tie down for three nights; they didn't charge me a cent - and I didn't buy fuel. (I would have, but I didn't have anyplace to put it.)

I know a person who works at Marshfield. They are good people for sure. If you want to spring for a cab, it's six of one or half dozen of the other. If you want to take the commuter rail, Marshfield is not as conveniently located.

KLWM is also a reasonable choice.

KBED is a bit GA unfriendly.

Liz, how long did it take you to get into Boston from Marshfield?

I got stuck at Marshfield once due to weather, and they were the nicest people I've met at an FBO. Did everything possible to make us comfortable, and even cut ropes and tied down our plane with the storm fast approaching.

The situation at BVY a decade ago was you'd have to find a way to get to the commuter train platform. Then you can ride that into Boston and transfer to the T.

I flew to Boston last spring.

Was thinking I'd go to Norwood OWD, but opted for Marshfield 1B9 to the south - seemed about equal hassle with ground transport, but otherwise easier and friendlier. Not having been to Norwood, I can't truly compare; Marshfield just felt like a more comfortable alternative.
(I was coming up from New Bedford, rather than Detroit - so, I ruled out Beverly BVY)

Cabbed it from the airport to the train station in town. Probably could have bummed a ride if I'd arrived a bit earlier.
The train will get you to the South Station where you can grab the subway.

Parked on a tie down for three nights; they didn't charge me a cent - and I didn't buy fuel. (I would have, but I didn't have anyplace to put it.)

Just a note, 1B9 is Mansfield airport. Marshfield airport is GHG.

There is a commuter rail station in Mansfield and its about a 10 minute drive to the station from the airport.

There is no commuter rail station in Marshield, the closest stations [Greenbush in Scituate, MA] would be a 15-20 minute drive.

Another option could be Plymouth (PYM). Both the Kingston and Plymouth MBTA stations are about a 15 minute drive from the airport. I fly out of Plymouth and ts a great airport. I know that heated hanagars are available for overnight parking (if the time of year requires it).

All that being said, I'd say that Norwood probably would be the quickest way to get into the Boston using public transportation.

Last edited:
Liz, how long did it take you to get into Boston from Marshfield?

Todd - sorry, I screwed up. I was at 1B9, which is Mansfield. Doh!

The train ride to the South Station terminus is about 45 minutes.

I probably spent 1:20-1:30 traveling between Beacon Hill and the airport - subway, train, and cab.

Thanks for all the good info

It's actually looking like we might end up using that vacation to go visit one of the wife's friends in Chicago that is expecting a new baby. I'm sure this information will come in handy at some point, though. We've been trying to get to Boston for years and it never quite works out.

PM Gary Shelby. He flies to OWD and takes the T into Boston to visit his Daughter.

KBOS is expensive but if time is worth more than money then you have yourdecidion made.

Do NOT use BED - its almost as expensive transient.

I second OWD since there is a train connection right in Norwood - plus - you could always simple take UBER from one of the FBO's there to Forest Hills or Mattapan to connect right to the Boston T . . cant be much more than $20 on Uber. you can also see what it would be into the city.

OWD is REAL ez in and out VFR or IFR.

Back