Boston Tour

askulte

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Airmet Sierra
Hi guys,

As a new private pilot (passed my checkride a month ago), I've been enjoying flying to visit friends and family in the north east (Saratoga Springs, NY 3 weeks ago, and KEEN last weekend). Tomorrow morning I'm planning on going to KBVY from KHFD, and was thinking of doing the Boston Tour on the way back.

I've got the Boston helicopter chart downloaded (will get or print a hard copy), and was told to radio Boston (124.4), and expect at or below 1500'.

Can anyone share their experiences, and what I should prep for? I'm comfortable with Class C&D, but haven't flown through Boston's B. WX looks clear, but a bit gusty tomorrow. This doesn't seem like something beyond my (new) abilities, which is why I'm considering it.

Any words to the wise? Thanks!

Andris

Cal the bos tower or the skyways and tell them you want to do the city tour at 1200 or pick something under 1500. You can also tell them you'll follow 95 into town and take masspike from Fenway to exit. They want you to stay away from the Zakim bridge and it really depends on what runways they are using they might vector you around. You can ask them to circle over the city when you get there and they might just let you do that. Every time I asked for the tour they did let me in, s
They are nice folks as long as you're clear with your communication and fly at assigned alt and headings. Good luck.

Early Sunday morning is probably the best time. It's the time of lightest traffic for BOS.

Good luck.

Welcome to POA! Let us know how it went, if you did it today. Pictures are good too! I've been thinking of going up to Saratoga Springs, just for something to do for a day.

Better yet, go to Glens Falls (KGFL) have breakfast at the restaurant, Carol's Airport Cafe, on the field (great food) then fly north up to Lake George and the Southern tip of Lake Champlain. Beautiful flight!

Thanks for the help guys! The flight out to BVY was perfect witha nice tailwind (145 kts GS in the C172!). Breakfast in town was incredible (hawaiian waffles), and by the time we were back at the airport, it had gotten pretty gusty from the SSW. I had the boston TAC, but not the heli chart, so I saved this for another day. ATC kept us below the 3000' Class B shelf, and we were getting bounced around pretty well, until they cleared us into the B. I don't think it would have been fun at 1200' in the gusty turbulence, especially north of town w/ the wind swirling around from the buildings. It'll be for another (calmer) morning, but I'm looking forward to it! GS on the way back was 68. Ugh. Cars were passing us on the highway, but at 4500 ft it was smooth. Have to keep my wife happy. :)

Rotarur - What do you mean by call "skyways"? Can we go in along the river and through the harbor if we stay below logan's approach/departure, or do they keep you further east?

Thanks for the help!

Andris

Boston Skyways is the helicopter freq. 124.72 Not sure about what you were asking, just tell them where you want to go and what you want to do and they will do their best, just be ready to comply quickly and don't deviate. I even flew the Boston tour as a flight of two a couple of years back, BOS tower was very nice, as usual, and accommodating.

It was swirly bellow 3000 all Sunday, not too bad though, I enjoyed burning some avgas. Drop me a line if you need more guidance. It is intimidating the first time, but not a big deal after your do it once.

Radu

Think of Boston Skyways as an assistant to Boston Tower to handle helicopters and low-level traffic near BOS. Too close for Boston Approach and too far away for Boston Tower to handle without being overwhelmed. That's useful if you want to fly around downtown Boston, Fenway Park, MIT, etc.

Excellent - Thanks guys! I'll give skyways a shot when it's time. Do the usual of call Skyways 10 miles prior to arrival as a heads up?

Andris

You're entering class bravo, so call them close enough for good reception and wait to hear the magic words "clear through class bravo" before you venture inside. If coming from the west I just go to the intersection of mass pike with route 128, a good reporting point, and give them a call. Circle around till they clear you.

You can get a glimce of BOSTON SKYWAYS using liveatc.net. Just call up the KBOS page and find SKYWAYS. When I did my Boston Lighthouse tour, I called them on the phone ahead of time so I wouldn't sound like a compleat idiot or get myself in trouble. The CG Helos and CG AUX Air patrols go through the inner harbor all the time. Not impossible at all. Just know where you are going so you can tell them.

Back