Boston Tall Ships 2017 aerial view

eshazen

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Eric
So the Tall Ships will be in Boston starting this Saturday, from June 17-22.
I'd like to try to avoid the crowds and get a view from the air.
I don't see any NOTAMs or TFRs posted yet. The best bet for staying clear
of the bravo seems to me to start around Marblehead and fly a BOS 9DME arc
at 1000' (with life jackets handy!) Might be a little far out to see much.

Otherwise I wonder if they will permit "city tour" flights during the event?

Any other locals have thoughts on this?

So the Tall Ships will be in Boston starting this Saturday, from June 17-22.
I'd like to try to avoid the crowds and get a view from the air.
I don't see any NOTAMs or TFRs posted yet. The best bet for staying clear
of the bravo seems to me to start around Marblehead and fly a BOS 9DME arc
at 1000' (with life jackets handy!) Might be a little far out to see much.

Otherwise I wonder if they will permit "city tour" flights during the event?

Any other locals have thoughts on this?

I seriously doubt it. I am working the event, stationed at the Coast Guard base. Given security concerns, things are going to be pretty locked down. Give Boston Approach a call and see what they say, though.

I seriously doubt it. I am working the event, stationed at the Coast Guard base. Given security concerns, things are going to be pretty locked down. Give Boston Approach a call and see what they say, though.
I did the Boston Class B City Tour during the parade for the Red Sox World Series win in 2013 and they had no problem with it. This was 6 months after the Marathon bombing. I called Boston Tower on the phone and they said there was no TFR's and it would be no issue unless there happened to be a ton of news helicopters flying around. I'm not sure how security for this event compares.

@eshazen you want to call Boston Tower on the phone directly to see what they think. It's up to them and not Approach to clear you in. In the air you would call Boston Skyways on 124.725 to get cleared for the City Tour. I'll PM you the phone number for Boston Tower as it is not public. Let me know if you need any info on doing the City Tour as I have done it several times.

I did the Boston Class B City Tour during the parade for the Red Sox World Series win in 2013 and they had no problem with it. This was 6 months after the Marathon bombing. I called Boston Tower on the phone and they said there was no TFR's and it would be no issue unless there happened to be a ton of news helicopters flying around. I'm not sure how security for this event compares.

@eshazen you want to call Boston Tower on the phone directly to see what they think. It's up to them and not Approach to clear you in. In the air you would call Boston Skyways on 124.725 to get cleared for the City Tour. I'll PM you the phone number for Boston Tower as it is not public. Let me know if you need any info on doing the City Tour as I have done it several times.

Several things make this quite different from the RS event you mentioned. For one, there have been significant changes in the way events in the city are secured since 2013. Additionally, this event is an international one, bringing in "important" folks from around the world and between 2-4 million spectators.

But who knows... maybe they'll allow it. But I'd definitely advise calling Boston on the phone first, especially if you hope to fly over Fri-Sun.

Last edited:
Back