Boston Lasers

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Planning a possible trip to KRUT and was looking at the flight planner. I saw serveral TFRs in Mass most NE of Boston. All are for laser activity. What is going on up there. I have seen these TFRs in place for quite a while. Worlds biggest game of laser tag?

Adam;
I believe that those are scientific research (at least, I hope so). You can do your best to avoid them, but they cover all of Boston and a lot of eastern Ma. It's a cover their butt kind of thing. If you get zapped, they'll say "We warned you."
I spent all day Friday looking for a way to deal with them. There's nothing on the FAA websites nor did I find anything elsewhere. There were, of course, additional NOTAMs around the country regarding this type of laser activity, but nothing on how to avoid it.

silver-eagle said:
There were, of course, additional NOTAMs around the country regarding this type of laser activity, but nothing on how to avoid it.

Mirrors. reflect the light back at em. your safe, they rethink the whole idea.

Michael said:
Mirrors. reflect the light back at em. your safe, they rethink the whole idea.

Actually what you want is a retro-reflector. With just general aiming one would send all the laser energy right back to the source.

This and a story about laser missle defenses has me wondering why a missle couldn't defeat a laser simply by being very reflective. Perhaps they plan to use X-Ray lasers?

Back