Boston flight schools

Darrell111

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Darrell111
There is a chance ill be moving up there and if so would like to any info some might have on any schools around that area. Would be living close to Harvard sqare so the closest airport to that would be best. (obviously not logan ;) )

Thanks Darrell

There are two places at BED, which is the closest GA airport to Hahvahd Squaya.
One is EFA (Executive flyers aviation), a mostly pt 141 school with lots of newer cessnas (a few g1000 equipped) and some classic cessnas and pipers, a decathalon and a (I think) brand new seminole.
The other is ECAC (east coast aero club) which is a pt 61 only place with mostly pipers of various vintage (some new and some classics) and they have a few cessnas and katanas, and a couple of multi engine planes. They might have a few others too that I can;t think of right now.
They are both great places in different ways. I'd be happy to elaborate more if you want to PM me.

http://executiveflyers.com/index.html
http://eastcoastaeroclub.com/

You might want to pick up a sectional or browse the AFD. Depending on how you think of driving, Plymouth, Taunton, or New Bedford would be an hour or so from Boston. 30 miles from Boston south is Mansfield and Marshfield. Norwood is about the same distance as Bedford (15 miles or so). Lawrence and Salem to the north about 15 miles.
Don't forget Southern NH. Nashua has a couple of places also.
I did much of my primary training at airports 30 miles from home. Now based out of Marshfield, I'm 17 miles door to door.

I also trained at BED (at executive flyers) so you can PM me too if you want detail. Very nice planes. Expensive. (in Boston, what isn't?) Huge runways with lots of traffic. I lived in Central Square in Cambridge and was looking for an airport that I could get to without a car. (There's a bus that goes to the airport from the Alewife T station on the red line.) I would ride my bike there too sometimes. If you're willing to drive, then your options are more open.

--Kath

John I LOVE Marshfield! What a great little airport you have there!
My CFI took me there on an Angel Flight - and all I could think of was how cool it was to extend the down wind out over the ocean and turn final and have that great approach!

Thanks guys, i would be making my decision when i got up there but what about

http://www.beverlyflightcenter.com/

Im told its only about at 20 min drive from where ill be living and their rates seem reasonable. I know its silly to go from Dallas to Boston for flight training but the arrangements i would have would atually be much cheaper for me to live up there, less bills too!! So sounds like a fun thing to do. I would only need to finish my CFI, CFII and MEI then prob back to Big D (home of the Future NBA Champions) to instruct.

Anyone fly or flown out of beverly field?

I have flown in and out of Beverly (I regularly fly from Lawrence - KLWM.) I have done touch and gos and other practice maneuvers. It's a nice controlled field with not a lot of traffic. It sits under Boston's class B shelf, so you have to be careful on climbout not bust the class B. But, its no big deal.

Back