Bose Mic Stopped working externally today

sterlingmossy

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
sterlingmossy
Hi, looking for some troubleshooting help. Situation:
- Was flying in a 182P with a GMA 340 audio panel and a 430W GPS.
- During the flight I was wearing a Bose A20 headset and my passenger a Dave Clark
- During the flight my passenger could hear me perfectly.
- On returning to the airport on CTAF they could here me keying the mic but could not hear what I was saying. I could hear them.
- I switched headphones with my passenger and they could hear me on the CTAF again.

Any ideas why or how to troubleshoot?

Thanks

Batteries? Start with the easy answers.

And it's unlikely the audio panel or anything else is involved.

Did you try the Bose after the switch? Did the passenger test the Bose in the passenger plugs?

The headset works just fine without batteries.

Hmmm.. is that based on your exhaustive test of the OP's headset? Doubtful. You have many fine and well reasoned opinions but on this one you've got nothing.

Hmmm.. is that based on your exhaustive test of the OP's headset? Doubtful. You have many fine and well reasoned opinions but on this one you've got nothing.

No, I have the same headset and know how it works.

I could have asked you the same question about your reply:

it's unlikely the audio panel or anything else is involved.

Is that based on your exhaustive test on OP's "audio panel and everything else"?

That’s how the headset works.
There is also a battery indicator and the sound would be noticeable louder.

- During the flight my passenger could hear me perfectly.
- On returning to the airport on CTAF they could here me keying the mic but could not hear what I was saying. I could hear them.
- I switched headphones with my passenger and they could hear me on the CTAF again.

Could you hear them after switching?

Is this a intercom only problem? Did ATC hear you?

When you switched (I’m assuming you unplugged the headsets), did you switch back and try again?
Commonly this is because the headset jack wasn’t fully inserted.

On the Bose it's only the noise cancelling and BT connection powered by the batteries. Audio is jack powered. My suspicion is the panel jack.

Thanks everybody for the help. The problem is resolved. This is what happened:
- I was having trouble hearing the CTAF so i fiddled with the squelch. This made things worse so I plugged my bose headset into the passenger sockets. Now I could hear great but everytime I keyed the mic on my yoke other folks could hear nothing (duh!). When I took my passengers headset and plugged it into the pilot socket for some reason I could hear and they could hear. Perhaps the Squelch works differently? Anyway, we survived and everything worked fine on the last flight.

If it's like me, maybe you didn't have the plug all the way in? I've done that more times than I can count.

Back