Bose A20s - two different microphones?

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I bought two Bose A20 headsets form the Bose shop here. The microphones are different. Any idea why? The one on the left does not match the picture on the box nor the description in the manual about how to replace the mic foam.

a20mic.jpg

Any idea why this is?

Are the elements actually different or just the little rubber band holding the foam cover on? Looks like someone just got tired of losing their foam.

The one on the right is held on with a little rubber band (and is the same as all the online pics of the A20). The one on the left seems to be permanently attached somehow - e.g. not replaceable.

The one on the left looks like a pair they where trying to sell me in China town yesterday.:D

Really? I would be shocked if the Bose store is selling knock-off Bose products.

It came from the Bose store. I think I will take both of them in there tomorrow and ask about it. I much prefer the one with a replaceable mic foam. They only had the two of them in stock (I was surprised that that carry them at all in their retail shops).

It is possible that someone at Bose screwed up and the one on the right is correct (high impedance), but the one on the right has a helicopter mic (low impedance)?

Both of them have dual GA plugs. I have flown with the one on the right, but the one on the left has not been used yet.

If you look at them they are different...one in upper has longer "plastic thingy beyond the foam"

One is chinese the other is not....Bose sells chinese stuff all the time...makes them even more profit than their already EXTREMELY OVERPRICED stuff.

The top one says GENTEX N100912-02 on it. The lower one (without the removable foam) just has IIN written on it.

I think I will ask the Bose shop to replace the lower one. I could of course just return both and order from Sportys but there would be an equal chance of getting the weird one.

The top one says GENTEX N100912-02 on it. The lower one (without the removable foam) just has IIN written on it.

I think I will ask the Bose shop to replace the lower one. I could of course just return both and order from Sportys but there would be an equal chance of getting the weird one.

Definately not the same....and if you bought both at same time...I would be concerned.

Could be just simple as this year mic was designed this way...and last year was designed that way...but if you bought them at the same time....I would want the this years model for both.

Of course you always incur the problem of last years model design was better than the new one.:mad2:

I bought them a week apart at the same Bose shop in Nevada. The serial numbers are long but 4 digits are in bold and these are about 200 apart. The lower one has the removable windscreen, the high one does not.

I'm heading back to the Bose shop tomorrow. :(

My guess is they were customer returns. I've never seen them stocked at Bose stores. Might explain the difference in microphones being differences in production runs.

Bose updated thier microphone. The one on the left without the band is the newer version. When I had my microphone replaced because of cord issues I got the newer version. The one on the right is probably older stock.

Bose updated thier microphone. The one on the left without the band is the newer version. When I had my microphone replaced because of cord issues I got the newer version. The one on the right is probably older stock.

So is the windscreen replaceable on these? The fuzzy cushion in the headband is also slightly different (and the old one seems softer). Or maybe they just use the "new" one for replacements and I got a customer return?

The one on the left is however a newer serial number.

Last edited:
It is possible that someone at Bose screwed up and the one on the right is correct (high impedance), but the one on the right has a helicopter mic (low impedance)?

Both of them have dual GA plugs. I have flown with the one on the right, but the one on the left has not been used yet.

You may have hit the one where they changed suppliers...:dunno:

The one without the o-ring holds the muff in place with a little piece of Velcro attached to the mic. Easily replaceable.

So perhaps I just got one on each side of a production run? It is just that all the replacement mic windscreen foams I see online are the old style and I see no way of selecting a specific style.

So perhaps I just got one on each side of a production run? It is just that all the replacement mic windscreen foams I see online are the old style and I see no way of selecting a specific style.

It is likely the same foam piece, the one without the band is held on by some Velcro on the mic.

The foam on the velcro one is much smaller - the whole mic unit is smaller. I just want to be sure I got what I paid for since Bose stores also sell "Factory Renewed" products, but I paid full price for these and obviously expect them to be new.

I also like to keep a couple extra windscreen foams on hand and having two different ones complicates things as my wife and I each have an A20 and I'd like them to be the same. The one with the o-ring feels better to me.

Last edited:
Those are 2 different microphone and boom assemblies. The one with the narrow hosel and no windscreen retaining ring is the new mic and boom.

For those of you who don't know, Bose has always had difficulties with mic clarity and noise cancellation. Plus, with all the new microphone technology that companies like mine are bringing to the market, they needed to update. Several months ago, they changed to a new assembly and microphone in order to try and improve on those issues.

Last edited:
So obviously the windscreen foam is different for each one. The new one does not look like Bose sells foam for it. I'd like my headsets to be the same.

Thoughts?

So obviously the windscreen foam is different for each one. The new one does not look like Bose sells foam for it. I'd like my headsets to be the same.

Thoughts?

I would go to the store and ask them. :) I too would want them both the same, it would bug me that they are different every time I got in the plane! :mad2: I would want them matched, which style is up to you, but it would drive me crazy to have bought them at the same time and them not match! :mad2::D

This is bordering OCD level issue.:lol: Really, not having an exact matching set of headsets would bother you?

It does bother me a bit. The "older" A20 by serial number has the mic with rubber ring and the fuzzy pad on the headband is softer and finer... More hair-like. The newer one (200 serial numbers higher) has a more wool-like head pad and the Velcro mic.

The zipper on the newer case is also tough to pull. They have no more in stock till next week, but I would like them to be the same... And prefer the older one.

I also have two a20 headsets and in my case the newer one by purchase date and also serial number has the rubber ring around the mic. The older one has the Velcro type. I flew with both for a while trying to find a difference. At the end I stuck with the one with least number of scratches :)

I also have two a20 headsets and in my case the newer one by purchase date and also serial number has the rubber ring around the mic. The older one has the Velcro type. I flew with both for a while trying to find a difference. At the end I stuck with the one with least number of scratches :)

Is the headband pad the same on both?

Those are 2 different microphone and boom assemblies. The one with the narrow hosel and no windscreen retaining ring is the new mic and boom.

For those of you who don't know, Bose has always had difficulties with mic clarity and noise cancellation. Plus, with all the new microphone technology that companies like mine are bringing to the market, they needed to update. Several months ago, they changed to a new assembly and microphone in order to try and improve on those issues.

I fall in the same boat as @PedroB801
Just picked up a second set of a20's yesterday and it had the rubber ring. The set I got just over a year ago has no ring.

I just took the new set on a test flight today and didn't notice any issues, never did with the other one either. In fact, my instructor prefers the mic on the Bose vs. His zulu's.

Thoughts?

You would just use a standard windscreen on both that use the retaining ring. I should have some in stock after the new year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would just use a standard windscreen on both that use the retaining ring. I should have some in stock after the new

So the ring based one would just go over the Velcro? It seems like the stiff side of the Velcro is glued to the mic boom

So the ring based one would just go over the Velcro? It seems like the stiff side of the Velcro is glued to the mic boom

That's right. The other windscreens just go right over the top.

Shane
The Squawk Shoppe
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back