Bose A20 Still?

OneCharlieTango

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
OneCharlieTango
It’s been almost 9 years since Bose introduced the A20 headset. Still roughly $1100. In the meantime, several competitors have come and gone, and Lightspeed has introduced 3 new models at the top of the line, two of which were several hundred dollars cheaper.

Is 2019 the year Bose releases something new? Reduces the price? Or will there be a tenth anniversary A20?

They already released a lighter, smaller version designed for jets (proflight)last year that have lesser noise in the cockpit.

Tom

If not for Lightspeeds competition, Bose would still only be selling the Bose Series 1 from 1989.

If it happens, it will most likely be at Sun N Fun or AirVenture.

It’s been almost 9 years since Bose introduced the A20 headset.

Wow. I feel kinda old hearing that.

And... Really? Wow. Doesn't seem like it's been that long.

Personally, while I still have a Bose in the plane, I use my Lightspeed Zulu PFX as my primary headset. It's my third Lightspeed - I have a Twenty 3G that I bought back in 2005 that's still going in the back seat, and I had an original Zulu that got stolen out of my car. I've been very happy with the headsets and the customer service, and I'll likely be making use of their trade-up program before too long... I'd kind of like to get a Tango for the right seat, and maybe a Sierra for the back seat.

David Clark One-X blows doors on the Bose. Plus it is cheaper, and made in the USA, if you like that kind of thing.

Bose is sort of like King was. Sold products based on reputation that eventually caught up to them. while the way each manufacturer's headset feels and fits your particular head could justify one over the other, just evaluating the top players makes it pretty clear the Bose is the most cheaply built.

I don't like the way they fit me so Bose was never an option. Combine that with the better quality of the LS and cheaper price it was a no brainner.

I have a Bose A20 and a Lightspeed Sierra. The Sierra is bulkier, but it doesn’t really matter to me once it’s over my head because the weight feels the same as the A20. Other than that and the price, no difference. I can’t tell the difference in audio quality.

David Clark One-X blows doors on the Bose. Plus it is cheaper, and made in the USA, if you like that kind of thing.

It really doesn't. I like the slick look of the One-X, but it doesn't compare.

I have a Bose A20 and a Lightspeed Sierra. The Sierra is bulkier, but it doesn’t really matter to me once it’s over my head because the weight feels the same as the A20. Other than that and the price, no difference. I can’t tell the difference in audio quality.

Scientific data says Bose does ANR better, and most people agree. I find the Lightspeeds bulky and uncomfortable, but others love them.

Scientific data says Bose does ANR better, and most people agree. I find the Lightspeeds bulky and uncomfortable, but others love them.

Scientific data? Who funded the research to obtain this scientific data? And which model of Lightspeed did they test?

I’ve been looking for objective data, but can’t really find data of any kind (other than Bryan’s video). ISTM that they used to show cool graphs demonstrating noise reduction at specific frequencies, which brings up an important point: it matters which frequencies are being blocked.

Not meaning this in the usual Internet bullying “Oh, yeah? Got a link?” kind of way, but it would be great if someone could point me to some of that there scientific data.

Scientific data? Who funded the research to obtain this scientific data? And which model of Lightspeed did they test?

It remember reading an article where they tested both passive and active headsets, don’t remember if it was the A20s or it’s predecessor, I’ll try to find it.
I can’t seem to find it (it would be 5 years old now), but what I do find is: A20, Rugged Air 900, and Lightspeed Zulu 2 in that order for reviews (not scientifically tested).
Tom

Last edited:
I bought a Zulu 3 and used it for a month giving flight instruction.
A friend loaned me his A20 for a flight and it was lighter and the noise cancelling was so much better.
I exchanged my Z3 for the A20 the next day. So much better but cost $250 or so more...
I hate Boise for being over priced and wanted to buy local, I live in Portland OR
The Z3 always made funny noises when I turned my head....A20 I can turn my head

I bought a Zulu 3 and used it for a month giving flight instruction.
A friend loaned me his A20 for a flight and it was lighter and the noise cancelling was so much better.
The Z3 always made funny noises when I turned my head....A20 I can turn my head

That sounds like a fit issue more than an ANR issue. The funny noise happens on most ANR headsets when the ear cup loses its seal around your head.

That sounds like a fit issue more than an ANR issue. The funny noise happens on most ANR headsets when the ear cup loses its seal around your head.

I tried everything. Wore them high, normal and low, forward and back on my ears I adjusted and adjusted. Over 25 flights sitting in the right seat with time to fiddle. Some of my friends love the Z3s. I guess they dont fit / seal on my average sized noggin or the ANR is better in the A20. I think the latter most likely. Again, I started out convinced the Z3s were as good.

I tried everything. Wore them high, normal and low, forward and back on my ears I adjusted and adjusted. Over 25 flights sitting in the right seat with time to fiddle. Some of my friends love the Z3s. I guess they dont fit / seal on my average sized noggin or the ANR is better in the A20. I think the latter most likely. Again, I started out convinced the Z3s were as good.

It's likely shape more than size. I switched from Bose to Zulu PFX and IMO the ANR is better on the Lightspeed. Not by much, but a little.

I guess that's why everyone says to try headsets on before you buy them. ;)

FYI, the A20s, being a little smaller and having a little less cushion and don’t pinch your head like bigger muff types, so are not as good if you wear glasses, causes the cushion to pull away from the skin, allowing noise in. I tilt my glasses so the temples are not under the ear cushions.
This may also be a problem if you have lots of hair.

Tom

Last edited:

I do not doubt one bit that tests can be conducted that show that the Bose A20 cancels noise better than the Lightspeed Sierra. However, on a side by side comparison in my own plane, the performance is so close that I call it a draw. That's my opinion. If I had to buy a new ANR headset today, I would not spend nearly 2x more for marginally better performance. Again, that's just my opinion, and I am sure that many would disagree. Either way, the Lightspeed Sierra is impressive for the money.

For what it's worth, my experience with Bose support was deeply troubling. After sending in my headset, I had to call in no less than 22 separate times to locate my warranty repair headset. I finally had to ask them to send me a new one as they could not locate my headset, after 45 days. Every escalation person I spoke with promised to call me, email me, and never came through.

The offshore customer service people, the escalation center in England, and the service center in Boston don't talk to each other, this was about the worst customer service I have experienced in years.

Back