Bose A20 issues

Airfrm

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Airfrm
Hoping someone knows how to fix an issue with Bose A20. My A20's are great, but lately, in the past 5 months now, I am having some issues. When I start the airplane everything works good, then after a while when I talk, the sound that the mic picks up gets very low and muffled and sometimes just stops picking up sound. But it doesnt just happen immediately, its a slow process, almost like if the batteries were getting low. After my flight, I can go a few hours, start up again and the same thing happens. But then some flights, I don't have any issues. Its gotten so bad that Ive had to switch out with my david clarke headset because nobody can hear me. I can hear other people and the radio just fine, its only the sound that is picked up from the mic. I have changed the batteries several times and as a flight instructor I am in several plane throughout the day and it happens with all of them. If someone else has had this issue, what did you do to fix it? Ive tried contacting Bose but cannot seem to talk to anyone and for the cost of their repair, I can just order a new cord and mic but not sure if that will fix my issue. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

did you try the headset on a different seat?

Yes, we have 7 aircraft at the flight school and I’ve been in all of them and I get the same results.

It sounds like it is time to send them back for a overhaul?
It used to cost 225.
Call them and they will send you a prepaid shipping label and you will get them back in under 2 weeks.
They will be in brand new condition.

The batteries will have no effect on microphone output. They are only there for noise cancellation.

Does the problem occur when your headset is the only one plugged into the intercom? Or does this only happen under certain conditions with certain settings other headsets plugged in?

Hoping someone knows how to fix an issue with Bose A20. My A20's are great, but lately, in the past 5 months now, I am having some issues. When I start the airplane everything works good, then after a while when I talk, the sound that the mic picks up gets very low and muffled and sometimes just stops picking up sound. But it doesnt just happen immediately, its a slow process, almost like if the batteries were getting low. After my flight, I can go a few hours, start up again and the same thing happens. But then some flights, I don't have any issues. Its gotten so bad that Ive had to switch out with my david clarke headset because nobody can hear me. I can hear other people and the radio just fine, its only the sound that is picked up from the mic. I have changed the batteries several times and as a flight instructor I am in several plane throughout the day and it happens with all of them. If someone else has had this issue, what did you do to fix it? Ive tried contacting Bose but cannot seem to talk to anyone and for the cost of their repair, I can just order a new cord and mic but not sure if that will fix my issue. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
I had exactly the same problem. I sent the headset back to Bose (I paid for the repair) and they fixed whatever was wrong. The headset came back looking and functioning like new! You can initiate the service request online. https://boseaviation.com/support/service/

I also have a set that does this. Because I used them for my job I couldn't wait the X number of weeks for the warranty return. So I bought a second pair and shipped them in.
It only took a few weeks and they came back with what looked like new everything.
It took me a while to test them out and at first try seemed fine. But on a long flight they did it again.
I need to send them in again, but I've been busy and using the second (trouble free) set.

yah had same thing, but for a $1k headset and the brand itself, I cannot accept this easily... Would call them up and ask for expedited repair (you need to do that ahead of time and mark the box with a red X), you have a legitimate reason being a CFI. If you'd express your disappointment, they may even do it for consideration, after all, as a CFI you are a marketing beacon also.

Back