Bose A20 in a J3 Cub

CerroTorre

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CerroTorre
I’ve had varying experiences with noise cancelling headsets in open or windy cockpits at points in the past. ANR can struggle (or completely fail) to keep up with buffeting wind or rapid power changes in aerobatic situations or with open doors. Often I’ve found going with good old David Clarks has kept things simple and worked just fine.

So I own both some old school DC H10s as well as some A20s. Has anybody had a negative experience with A20s in a J3? How about with the doors open? Would you prefer some DCs in that situation?

I’ve got some long distance xc time coming up in a Cub and would prefer to only pack one headset. Thoughts welcome.

I use my A20s all the time in my Super Cub and in the helicopter. Both are noisy applications and the headset works fine.

Don’t have the Bose but I have two DC H10-40’s, both with the Headsets Inc ANR mod and they work very well. One has the original green electret mic (M5?) and the other the M7. Both have the leather wind cover and work very well in my open cockpit gyro. Just got one on eBay for $250.

I converted a 1980s no-name head-vice to ANR with a kit I purchased online somewhere. It worked ok in club 172s. But, I'm not really convinced it made much difference. When I bought the Sonerai, it was obvious I needed something better.

I bought a pair Clarity Aloft, and they were better than my old headset. But, I still couldn't understand the radio calls when I was on take off with full power. So, I bought a brand new (early X-mas present the wife didn't know she bought me) Bose A20. That was it. I'm sold. I won't fly with anything else.

My friend let me try his Lightspeed Zulus. But, I just like the Bose A20s better.

Nice. Thanks for the reviews. I’ll take the A20s.

I’ve only ever used A20s in Cubs. Honestly it’s the transmit that cuts out because of the wind (I now turn my head away and cover the mic when transmitting). The noise canceling has always been great.

Back