Bose A20 from Bose X

flyboy595

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Flyboy595
Hey everyone,
Just curious if anyone has upgraded to the A20 from the X and if it was worth it. I'm thinking about the upgrade and think the Bluetooth would be a nice feature but if the comfort/noise reduction isn't noticeably better then it isn't worth it to me.
Opinions?

Not personally but I have a couple of friends who said that there wasn't any noticeable difference in the noise cancelling but the Bluetooth was a nice feature.

have done as written; little change in noise reduction or comfort (both are excellent); use the bluetooth occasionally.

Not an upgrade so I have no experience with the X but I love the a20s. Looking for a set for the wife...

I got five A20s with the new plane coming from four X's in the previous plane and they are a nice, if incremental upgrade. A bit more comfortable, a bit better sound quality and have bluetooth which is nice, although I already have bluetooth into the audio panel. Still convenient, I guess, in case everyone in the plane wants a different entertainment audio source.

I have 2 DC's, 3 Bose X's and 1 Bose A20 and the A20 is the one I wear 100% of the time. It is more comfortable (to me) and has better noise reduction (to me).

I actually just received my A20 last week. Traded an early model (9 Volt Battery Pack) Bose X for it. For my flying the noise canceling is markedly improved. I would expect this as the old one was 20 ish years old, but was still a little surprised at the difference. Overall I find it more comfortable so far. To my ears there is a noticeable improvement in the overall sound quality. I found it worthwhile but it depends what kind of flying you do. I am going to fly with it a little longer but, we will probably replace our second X soon. This is my first Bluetooth headset and I haven't gotten to use it much, but it seems cool. Tried the phone and it works well. Picking up an IFR Clearance on the ground was a primary motivation for the bluetooth as I am based at a non-towered airport. This is just my opinion of course, but I am very happy with the decision.

Anyone prefer something over the BoseA20? Cost is not a factor. Comfort is.

I had a Bose X and switched to the A20. I think it has better noise attenuation, and is more comfortable for me. There is a lot of personal preference in headsets. I don't like the way Lightspeeds fit, but many do.

My favorite headset was a Telex Stratus 50D headset. It wasn't too durable, so I traded it in. It's big and bulky, but I found it to be comfortable and quiet.

I'd recommend a trial of a few to see what's best for you. Most have a 30 day free trial period.

I'm interested in the comments. I have 2 sets of X's that I use with my bluethooth audio panel. I haven't upgraded since I haven't heard many people say it was a huge improvement with the A20s.

I think the A20 can be a bit uncomfortable after a while. There starts to be some pressure on top of the head because the pad isn't terribly thick. I also fly legs up to 12 hours long though so you may not experience that discomfort.

I think the A20 can be a bit uncomfortable after a while. There starts to be some pressure on top of the head because the pad isn't terribly thick. I also fly legs up to 12 hours long though so you may not experience that discomfort.

The "Oregon Aero" comfort kit should help.

I fly with a new A20, which has the Bose plug for the plane, it lives in the work plane, also have my personal headset which is a Zulu2, shy of a battery failure in my Zulus, which hardly ever happens, I don't wear the A20s and prefer my Zulus.

Back