Boring Holes in the Sky

Yeah we don’t see much of that around here unfortunately. Bunch of old farts at a crack azz of dawn going somewhere for pancakes. Always freaking pancakes.

If I’m going that early at least make breakfast burritos with green chili! Or at least an omelette.

But I understand the logistics of pancakes. Can be made to order and the mix doesn’t go bad if nobody shows up... sigh. EAA has probably done more in high tech pancake makers than airplane building. Hahaha.
Just go to Goodland for pie and coffee. Farmers always like pie...

I’ve been thinking about how to answer your question. I fly to fulfill a dream. I fly for fun.

I was thinking about the type of flying I do. I'm instrument rated and used to practice approaches on most flights in the rental planes. Now I own a Piper Cherokee 140 (VFR) with single NAV/COM so I have not been doing that type of flying. While it is tempting to use my IPad with Foreflight for Navigation to work some IFR approaches, I know better. Instead, I have been just cruising around. Checking out new fields around the Middle TN and Southern KY areas. Flew a couple LOC approaches on my own to mess around, other than that, its just boring holes in the sky, with ample pattern work. 22 hours on the Hobbs in my first month of ownership and I couldn't be happier.

What type of flying are the rest of you doing? I'm not talking about you guys who are doing this as your job, but the recreational flyer. We all have trips every now and then, but what do you do when you just go and fly?

All my flying is for fun... Here are a few of the planes I have owned in the past and currently own. Not posting the boring ones. LOL!christen 1.jpg blackeagle1.jpg barns3.jpg good fit.jpg model1203.png Pitts N117TH.jpg mark eagle 6.jpg cub 1.png breezy hangar.png staud1.jpg

After owning over 20 airplanes and flying many others that do not belong to me I will say we enjoy the J-3 Cub more than anything else......
I fly a V-35B Bonanza that is great for getting somewhere fast but not fun to fly...
If I would have followed everyone else and got a instrument rating and a fast traveling airplane from the start I probably would have gave up flying. Right after getting my private I bought a aerobatic biplane and have been having a blast the past 15 years. I flew a Pitts with around 100TT :)

Spats on a Breezy, really? Sort of like going to the nude beach in wearing shoes and socks.

My aircraft has spent so dang much time in the shop this year I haven't been doing much of any flying. I do have a couple trips coming up, including Oshkosh. Maybe I'll bump into 6PC.

If I would have followed everyone else and got a instrument rating and a fast traveling airplane from the start I probably would have gave up flying.

I am with you on this. You have/had lots of little hot rods. A Model 12 must be something!

Back