Boredom leads to lots of fun at work

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Ok - so I thought this was funny, but I'll let y'all tell me if its lame or if the guy will get a kick out of it:

We are supposed to log out of our computers at work, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is security purposes. There is a guy who, despite repeated warnings, keeps leaving his computer logged in.

He has changed his wallpaper to be a Dallas Mavericks logo, and he has a lot of Dallas Mavericks memorabilia around his desk. He is quite obviously a Mavericks fan. I decided tonight to change his wallpaper to the Spurs logo, and sent him an email from himself with the attached picture.

FWIW - when I worked at AOL, what we'd do is send that person's letter of resignation to their coach....I don't think that'd go over too well here. heh.

Attachments

• coyote_20.jpg
    coyote_20.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 87
I remember a certain rather officious lab manager in a VAX cluster I lived on "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" who left a terminal logged on to her account. I simply sent her an e-mail from herself to herself saying that wasn't smart and then logged her off. With a warning of what I would do the next time. She got the message.

Then at another company the system manager left my terminal logged on to his account (the master account, known as super.super on the old Tandem Guardian operating system). I simply changed his password and logged him off. I knew he could recover one of two ways. Find out who did it (which he did) and ask (nicely) for the new password, or dump the system and re-boot as the operator console always came up on that account with the need for a password when you re-booted the system. He was close to option 2 when he wandered down the hall past my office asking out loud who had changed his password. After I scolded him on the security implications of what he had done I gave him his new password. I don't think he did that again.

Now, sending the boss a letter of resignation from their account... I like that. Devious.

Our company's system logs us out automatically after 10 minutes of inactivity. It is a royal pain in the butt, but it solves the problem!

We also have an internet snitch. It logs how much time we spend on the internet and what sites. Since my department has a legitimate need to be on the internet a lot and there is a daily time limit (which I haven't hit yet), I await the day that I must justify my I-time and sites visited. I have brought an old laptop to work and use its wireless feature. Thank God for open wifi nets!

Just a few of the reasons that I am trying to promote my employer to ex-employer status....

-Skip

I had a mischevious boss at one place. When he'd find computers left open like that, he'd send email/messages to co-workers of the person.... some of them were NOT politically correct...

Changing wallpaper... great. Used to do it to roomies instead of coworkers though.

Here at work, if we find a blackberry, we just email the owners a ransom note.

wsuffa said:
I had a mischevious boss at one place. When he'd find computers left open like that, he'd send email/messages to co-workers of the person.... some of them were NOT politically correct...
I did that one for a while, too.

Then I found one on a website somewhere.

Minimize everything, then take a screenshot. Paste it into Paint and save it as a bitmap. Hide the icons on the desktop (right-click on the Desktop...Arrange Icons...uncheck Show Icons on Desktop). Then hide the taskbar. Change the desktop wallpaper to the new saved bitmap file. Then walk away. :goofy:

Had a guy reboot his computer six times before he cried 'uncle'. He never left his workstation unlocked again. :D

Brian Austin said:

Minimize everything, then take a screenshot. Paste it into Paint and save it as a bitmap. Hide the icons on the desktop (right-click on the Desktop...Arrange Icons...uncheck Show Icons on Desktop). Then hide the taskbar. Change the desktop wallpaper to the new saved bitmap file. Then walk away. :goofy:

Had a guy reboot his computer six times before he cried 'uncle'. He never left his workstation unlocked again. :D

Brilliant! (rubs hands in anticipation, evil leer on face.....)

-Skip

...if someone leaves their workstation unlocked and goes away (for, say, a smoke), you can send the chat room they are participating in a funny message.

Something like, "...I like doodz..."

Just an idea.

SCCutler said:
...if someone leaves their workstation unlocked and goes away (for, say, a smoke), you can send the chat room they are participating in a funny message.

Something like, "...I like doodz..."

Just an idea.
I used to send one from an engineer's computer to his boss, who had a farm.

"I've been considering getting into bestiality. Can I borrow a sheep or something to test it out before I buy my own? I'll return it in a few days."

Oh, what conversations THAT generated.

wsuffa said:
Long ago in a galaxy far away, I used to jump on the terminals of women who left their computers on and send messages to a male peer that said "can I have your baby?" (and "will you have my baby?" to a female peer for a male coworker).

So Nick,

When do we hear about the response?

Ken Ibold said:
Long ago in a galaxy far away, I used to jump on the terminals of women who left their computers on and send messages to a male peer that said "can I have your baby?" (and "will you have my baby?" to a female peer for a male coworker).

Yeah, I remember seeing one sent from a computer that a male employee stupidly left unattended... the message went to a male co-worker (and was bcc'd to the entire office) and professed his love for the other male co-worker....

Brian Austin said:

While you're at it, slap a piece of scotch tape across the bottom of the mouse ball opening. They move the mouse, nothing happens. They look at the bottom, looks good, set it back down, still doesn't move. :dunno:
That's worth 3 reboots on it's own. Some people have been known to call IT for help fixing the problem.

Brian Austin said:
The time in the bottom right hand corner gives this away to the computer savvy! ;)

I started to reply, went through 4 drafts of how to say it then I found a quote that seemed to some up all of my computer exploits.

Amendment 5 - Trial and Punishment, Compensation for Takings

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Whew!!!

wsuffa said:

I got specifically warned about that once when some coworker sent something from a female coworker's unguarded Blackberry. All details of the incident except what happened and my guess as to who she was are unknown to me.

Doing what your boss did, or even what Nick did would be a guaranteed, instant "don't let the door hit you on the a**" firing at my job.

mikea said:
I got specifically warned about that once when some coworker sent something from a female coworker's unguarded Blackberry. All details of the incident except what happened and my guess as to who she was are unknown to me.

Doing what your boss did, or even what Nick did would be a guaranteed, instant "don't let the door hit you on the a**" firing at my job.

Yep, a lot of employers don't see the humor in practical jokes.

We had a one sentence employee policy manual at the time. It read "Use your best judgement".

These days, I imagine that anyone at that company who pulled such a stunt would be forced to do the "perp walk". The policy manual is about 150 pages long, and it's kept online....

inav8r said:
The time in the bottom right hand corner gives this away to the computer savvy! ;)
Only if they look and only if they're REALLY that 'savvy'. Most aren't. :D

wsuffa said:
We had a one sentence employee policy manual at the time. It read "Use your best judgement".

I think I've seen that manual. :)

Nowadays with the "reasonable man / reasonable woman" standards...

The way we deal with people remaining logged in here is by loading up a large document and start printing 30 copies. Students are warned that any printing amounts over their limit are 10 cents per page and it will attach to their student account. Best case scenario, they're left with 10 pages to print the rest of the semester. Worst case, they owe the university 20$ and can't graduate until it's paid.

Greebo said:
So Nick,

When do we hear about the response?

Hehe - fun stuff. The response was that he started locking his work station and logging out. Also - he removed all personal stuff on his desk in fear of more practical jokes :D

He'll calm down in a few days. This was fun.

wbarnhill said:
The way we deal with people remaining logged in here is by loading up a large document and start printing 30 copies. Students are warned that any printing amounts over their limit are 10 cents per page and it will attach to their student account. Best case scenario, they're left with 10 pages to print the rest of the semester. Worst case, they owe the university 20$ and can't graduate until it's paid.

Wow - that's harsh, man. I like it, but its harsh.

mikea said:

Ouch....thats rugged. My employer has no sense of humor for most things, but this one is one I can't imagine they'd flip over.

Granted, had I emailed something offensive....maybe that would be a different story.

Back