Bored, so thinking of what ifs:

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Ignore if discussed (I haven't been following all threads).
Or if you think such thoughts silly.

See attached aerial photo with attached scratch marks.

Taking off, its the kind of place I like to consider the W.C.S.(cenarios).....

There is a good area (I presume GoogleEarths satphotos are pretty current) just off the end, and north. Circled yellow.

I can't recall the distances or how high we normally can get at each location, but I might deadstick straight ahead......til there is no good place ahead - at which point I should have enough altitude (maybe even 500'?) for a turn to the circled field. The dashed green is a proposed climb out to make the turn more successful.

Anyone think the river would be survivable?

Attachments

• GastonsDepartures.JPG
    GastonsDepartures.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 62
If you are prone to low passes, might want to make sure you have enough energy to get somewhere if the worst happens, the sw side has less available:

I post entirely in a positive light, (anyone know what PPPPPP means), if we are prepared, less chance of a real problem!

Attachments

• GastonsLowPasses.JPG
    GastonsLowPasses.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 27
If you are prone to low passes, might want to make sure you have enough energy to get somewhere if the worst happens, the sw side has less available:

I post entirely in a positive light, (anyone know what PPPPPP means), if we are prepared, less chance of a real problem!

Proper Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance?

Every situation is different. I try and establish a plan before I bring the power up on takeoff.

In the event of an engine failure on takeoff I will be landing straight ahead. If it is too late to land straight ahead I will drop it into the river unless I see better. Beware of the power lines. It is unlikely that I would attempt to turn back as there is too much terrain and there is a chance of another airplane departing behind me.

In the event of an engine failure on a low pass--I'm not too worried. I carry a *lot* of energy into a lowpass and won't have a problem finding a place to land. What scares me are the people who drag it in with full flaps on a lowpass and then power up and retract flaps. I've never understood that. If you aren't going to be landing--don't give up your energy.

Every situation is different. I try and establish a plan before I bring the power up on takeoff.

In the event of an engine failure on takeoff I will be landing straight ahead. If it is too late to land straight ahead I will drop it into the river unless I see better. Beware of the power lines. It is unlikely that I would attempt to turn back as there is too much terrain and there is a chance of another airplane departing behind me.

In the event of an engine failure on a low pass--I'm not too worried. I carry a *lot* of energy into a lowpass and won't have a problem finding a place to land. What scares me are the people who drag it in with full flaps on a lowpass and then power up and retract flaps. I've never understood that. If you aren't going to be landing--don't give up your energy.

And, of course, by "low pass" you are referring to 'checking the runway for livestock before landing', right? ;) :yes:

Negative Ghostrider. The pattern is full.....

:)

Back