borderline colorblindness

U

Unregistered

So I tested myself online (I know not the best but it is a start) and it looks like I am borderling red/green colorblind. I am afraid that I might not pass the test during my upcoming 3rd Class Medical. I have an appointment with my eye doctor to talk to him and get tested. The research I have done on the internet suggests that the "Dvorine Plates" have a lower failure rate than the more common "Ishihara Plates" for someone like me. Also I found out that not passing the color blindness portion of the medical does not mean that I will be denied, but that I will have a condition attached that I cannot fly at night. If while at the eye doctor I cannot pass the Ishihara test, should I wait to get my 3rd class medical until I find a Dr. has the Dvorine Plates (or even one that has a "Farnsworth Lantern"), or should I go ahead and get my medical, and then work on getting the night restriction removed by passing one of the other tests?

Thanks

I have the same problem. I see only dots about a third to half way through the ishihara plates. Your initial medical will have a restriction of no night flying due to color blindness, but this can be changed when you get a SODA through your local FSDO. When I did this I had to take the light gun test. They fired the light gun, and I had to say wether it was red, green, or white. Once you pass this you will be issued a medical without the restriction. Next medical simply present the SODA, and the color test is waived.

At this point I only have a 3rd class medical, but I have heard that airline pilots have the same issue, and are flying with a SODA.

Pete

P.S. SODA = Statement Of Demonstrated Ability

P.S. SODA = Statement Of Demonstrated Ability

Darn, and I thought I was going to get to sit down with the FSDO and have a Dr. Pepper :)

Thanks for the info. From your experience it sound like I should just go ahead with my medical. You would think there would be a better test if the Ishihara plates are proving to be too discriminatory. I can tell the difference between a red, green, and white light. Just some of those plates are just dots...

Good thing the sectionals aren't made like the Ishihara plates...

I had the same issues and have a Class II, so it's not a show stopper if you don't have any other vision issues. If you can pass the light gun you're good to go, which I did before getting my pvt cert. They (FAA) changed the color acuity requirements a while back to be specific to "aviation colors".

My best friend is an airline captain with a SODA for colorblindness. So, no it's not limited.

I have my medical comming up this month also. I since it was time to check on the glasses I had my eye examined last week. I also took the lantern test at the same time like I did for the initial medical. Of course first the doc pulled out the plates. I can see the number in the first plate after that just a random sequence of dots. I can pass the lantern test so that is what I did. So when the time comes for the color vision portion of the test I just hand them the results from the lantern test. Next stop is to the audiologist.

Since I have the SODA for hearing do I really need the test results?

I think I am tone deaf in two dimensions...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back