Border Crossing Information requirement

bbchien

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bruce C
Posted today in the Federal Register, USCBP-2007-0064, is a proposal to require that private operators transmit their passenger manifest by "electronic means" for any trip from the Carribean, Mexico, S.America, not less than one hour prior to departure, and await approval from Dept. of Homeland Security.

Go to http://www.regulations.gov
Search USCBP-2007-0064 and make comment.

This will utterly dry up private trips from these areas as.....guess what! Intenet access from Bahamas/lesser Antilles is next to nil. And, ever found a BATELCO phone that worked? TDMA? CDMA? An account for every country! Yeah, that's the ticket.

Sigh.

I just submitted my comments in opposition.

If you even think you'll fly across the border someday, take a minute and write something. Just a few sentences will help. The proposal is outrageous and will cause quite a hassle while doing nothing to enhance safety, especially since one can drive across the same border with no notification whatsoever. And you don't even need a passport to cross by car.

Jon

Sure looks like yet another attempt by the Adminstration to outright curb travel.

Sure looks like yet another attempt by the Adminstration to outright curb travel.

No. To outright curb travel by PRIVATE AIRCRAFT. None of the regulations apply to cars, trucks, buses, trains, boats, horse, or foot crossings, only to private aircraft.

Also note that there is a requirment to notify one hour before LEAVING the US, even for US Citizens. Marxism is alive and well in DC. 'Travel permits' are next, then exit visas, and finally compete and total control of all travel.

No. To outright curb travel by PRIVATE AIRCRAFT. None of the regulations apply to cars, trucks, buses, trains, boats, horse, or foot crossings, only to private aircraft.

Also note that there is a requirment to notify one hour before LEAVING the US, even for US Citizens. Marxism is alive and well in DC. 'Travel permits' are next, then exit visas, and finally compete and total control of all travel.

Flown on a commercial flight lately? :(

I have posted a comment, but I was unable to get the site to display already posted comments. Anyone got that one figured out?

Flown on a commercial flight lately? :(

Yes. Comm aircraft have been used at a terrorist weapon. GA aircraft no. Cars; yes, boats; yes, trains; yes, buses; yes. All have been used by terrorists to attack the US. Not PRIVATE AIRCRAFT, never. (note that was capitalized in my first reply)

I have posted a comment, but I was unable to get the site to display already posted comments. Anyone got that one figured out?

After you search, and your results are found, click on the link in blue that is the docket ID. It will bring up "USCBP-2007-0064-000x' with all the numbers above 0001 being comments, and 0001 is the original NPRM.

Yes. Comm aircraft have been used at a terrorist weapon. GA aircraft no. Cars; yes, boats; yes, trains; yes, buses; yes. All have been used by terrorists to attack the US. Not PRIVATE AIRCRAFT, never. (note that was capitalized in my first reply)

If you listen to the administration, small planes have terrorized as much as the other modes of personal transportion.

My comment about curbing travel - period - stands. Even on a commercial flight, the TSA and others impose burdens that act to curb travel. Look at the surveys on how tourism is down. And look at the data that the Goverment gathers on each traveler (esp. international) to be kept for 40 years.

To control the citizenry, a government must limit travel. In the name of "preventing terrorism", that's exactly what this government is doing.

Here is what I told them:

1. While I support securing our nation’s borders, the proposed rule will do little to protect the United States and while significantly and unduly impact persons who present no threat to the United States. The requirement for clearance to leave the United States should be deleted. While one can see a benefit in keeping potentially dangerous persons from entering the country, requiring a clearance for a GA aircraft to leave the United States does nothing to increase security while adding cost and inconvenience to the traveling public. If a terrorist is already in the United States, he presents no more of a threat flying from Los Angeles to Mexicali than he does flying from Los Angeles to Phoenix or driving a rental truck in any American city. I think most Americans would prefer that terrorists leave the United States. If knowing who is leaving the country is important, then the Bureau should also be proposing to check the identities of everyone leaving the country by automobile.

2. It is readily apparent that the drafters of the rule have little understanding of General Aviation (GA) operations and the impact the rule would have on GA operators. For example:

a. While it says “This rule serves to provide the nation, private aircraft operators, and the international traveling public, additional security from the threat of terrorism and enhance CBP’s ability to carry out its border enforcement mission”; the rule does nothing to increase security for private aircraft operators and the international traveling public (the passengers on those aircraft) because, unlike commercial airline passengers, passengers aboard private aircraft know each other.

b. It assumes GA pilots have access to facilities (primarily computers with internet access) that do not exist at many of the airports GA aircraft operate from. Unlike the airlines, the operators of GA aircraft do not have their own facilities at the airports they operate from. Has CBP surveyed GA airports to determine the availability of the required equipment? The only work-around CBP offers is that operators will first have to fly to an airport that has the necessary facilities.

c. eAPIS requires the operator to provide the phone number of a 24-hour point of contact. GA operators normally don’t have operations centers (24-hour or otherwise). The examples given are absurd—a 24-hour broker? GA repair shops are not normally 24 hour operations and are not normally related to the operator of the aircraft. Even if a 24-hour point of contact was available, it would likely not be able to contact the pilot in the air or on the ground in a foreign country or even at some remote airports in the United States.

3. The Regulatory Analysis is deficient in that it doesn’t address numerous potential costs pilots incur in order to comply with the rule.

a. Having to fly to an airport with the required facilities. Even a small GA aircraft can cost well over $100/hour to operate.

b. Having to pay for computer/internet access either directly or through fuel and/or service charges greater than would otherwise be paid. In its analysis, CPB assumes free internet access.

c. The time spent waiting to use a shared computer (if available at all) to submit the required data and again to check for receipt of approval to take off. This could add considerably to the extra time spent comply with the proposed rule.

d. Paying a company to submit the notice of arrival and manifest data into eAPIS if the pilot doesn’t have access to a means to transmit it. Very few GA operators have operations centers.

e. Having to pay for a company to act as a 24-hour point of contact. eAPIS requires the operator to provide the phone number of a 24-hour point of contact. Very few GA operators have operations centers. Did the CBP really intend a family enjoying a 3-day weekend in Baja California to hire a company to perform this function?

f. CBP’s estimate that people will arrive at the airport 15 minutes earlier than they otherwise would doesn’t make sense, since they have to arrive at least 60 minute prior to takeoff. For departure from the United States to other countries, one should assume they will have to arrive 60 minutes earlier than they otherwise would because there is currently no requirement for transmitting information to CBP.

g. The cost estimate for instances where landing rights are denied need to be increased to account for the need for the parties to stay an additional night. Based on the CBP’s estimate that it will take 8 hours to resolve, the pilot(s) would likely need to rest before they could safely fly. Even if the delay is only a few hours, it may require an additional night’s stay because of some countries restrictions on flying at night. Additionally, did the CBP’s analysis take into account that police may not be normally stationed at or near an GA airport and that the police officers that may respond may not speak English, and therefore it may take more than 8 hours to resolve the issue?

h. CBP’s estimates of the Value of a Statistical Life are faulty because passengers in GA aircraft would not be willing to pay anything to reduce the risk of dying at the hands of a terrorist on their aircraft because, unlike airline passengers, they generally know the other people on the aircraft.

i. The potential losses described in Scenarios 1 (up to 1000 casualties) and 4 (21.9 billion in physical destruction) are not realistic for the vast majority of GA aircraft (World Trade Center example would seemingly require two airliner-size aircraft). Therefore, the probability of such attacks would be greatly reduced. Additionally, since people traveling on GA aircraft are generally know to each other, the probability of an aircraft being hijacked is extremely nil. That being the case, any attack would be a suicide mission so the value of the occupants lives should be considered to be zero.

4. Technical Issues

a. The rule specifies the use of eAPIS or another CBP approved transmission medium but give no hint as to what other media might be approved. E-mail? Facsimile? Telephone? What is a “batch manifest”?

b. Pilots need to input their transponder code into eAPIS, but they won’t know their transponder code until issued by ATC.

c. eAPIS has had problems accepting aircraft registration numbers (vice airline flight numbers) and does not accept non-ICAO airport identifiers (many GA airports only have FAA airport identifiers).

d. In order to properly plan the flight (and comply with the border crossing and arrival times given CPB) pilots need to be able to accurately predict their takeoff time. Does CPB guarantee that operators will receive a response within 45 minutes of transmitting the arrival information and manifest data so they can proceed to the aircraft, taxi and takeoff 60 minutes after they submit the information? If the response takes 70 minutes and the pilot can’t meet the times he provided, will he have to resubmit with new times and wait another 45 – 70 minutes for a response? GA operators do not have ground station personnel who can relay the CPB clearance.

e. Practically no GA aircraft (a few business jets) have the equipment needed to transmit an arrival manifest if they have to divert to an airport in the United States and it is likely not located in the cockpit. It is unreasonable to set an unobtainable requirement and then say that in an emergency, CBP will take into consideration the lack of equipment and nature of emergency. The threat of legal trouble could cause a pilot with an emergency to decide not to land in the United States when that would be the safest course of action.

Last edited:
I have found the comments by Judy Parrish-Jones (pg 8) , Lance Fisher (pg 1), myself (pg 2), Jeff Moskin (pg 6).

Please everyone, if you don't speak up now, this freedom will be removed. We are being restricted one small step at a time; this step is a BIG one, however.

My 0.02 for what it's worth as having been posted:

As a private pilot soon to be an instructor, I don't currently fly a private aircraft outside the United States. However, should I begin doing so I certainly will not have easy access in most cases in order to submit a passenger list electronically. Very few general aviation pilots would have that resource at any location outside CONUS..

I urge you to set aside this requirement for ALL general aviation flights entering or leaving the United States. Allow a phone-in capability for all general aviation aircraft with the phone call to be within six hours of planned departure. I would also urge an exemption for the pilot of an owned or rented aircraft for himself and his/her immediate family. A reasonable requirement would be a phone-in notification for non-family members being carried into and out of the United States.

Lastly, if for any reason a general aviation pilot (with a non-family party) is not capable of notification from any given location before a flight back into the United States, allow the pilot an exception to notify air traffic control upon crossing any point of the ADIZ. Clearance would be provided to a normal customs location for declaration and notification.

Mmmm, I just checked, and mine aren't there. If they don't show up by tomorrow, I'll resubmit.

Last edited:
I submitted comments, but they're not appearing....

I'll add mine.

I also note that there is a proposal out there by TSA to require airlines to turn over their passenger lists for commercial flights 72 hours in advance - for screening. That would mean no last minute business trips, nor changes to flights. I'd expect the airlines to fight that.... but we're rapidly headed to the point where you need the government's permission to travel.

I'll add mine.

I also note that there is a proposal out there by TSA to require airlines to turn over their passenger lists for commercial flights 72 hours in advance - for screening. That would mean no last minute business trips, nor changes to flights. I'd expect the airlines to fight that.... but we're rapidly headed to the point where you need the government's permission to travel.

It does seem that way, doesn't it. Problem is a lot of drones at TSA coming up with "brilliant" new security ideas, and evaluating their usefulness. A bigger problem is that few in Congress are brave enough to put it on the line to stand up to this nonsense. "Congressman XYZ voted AGAINST a proposal to require airlines to provide names of potential terrorists on board prior to flights, proving he is weak on defense." They see TV ads like that in their sleep.

Caution, if you draft your comments in MS Word and paste them in the comment box, the punctuation gets screwed up--commas, parenthesis, etc., get changed to question marks.

Did I go too far with the commie comments? I don't want to hurt our cause...

Read the comments posted in reply to the following article: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1004fly1004.html

There's a lot of ignorance out there. I think that comments made in reply to the proposed rule should specifically address arguments made by our opponents. To that end, I suggest looking at the docket for such comments that have already been submitted so that they can be specifically countered.

Back