Booster Seat Requirement for Children?

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
As you may have read, the other week I took each of my 4 year old girls up for a flight in the Diamond DA-20. Since that has a combined shoulder/lap harness system, and the seats are in a reclined position, I used a stiff pillow to boost them up a little bit so they could see better, and so the shoulder portion of the harness fit better.

Now, I would like to take them up tonight in the C172H, which has separate shoulder straps and lap belts for the front seats, but IIRC, only a lap belt for the back passengers. From FAR 91.107, they talk about seat belts and restraints, but it really doesn't state that booster style seats like I'm requried to have in the car, are required in the airplane for them. Just to be clear, I'm pretty certain I'm going to have the bottom of the seat installed in the plane as the booster, but do I need the back of it if they are in the back seat?

If I only take one tonight, (or next time I can get out flying) I'll have her in the front seat and I'll use the full booster, as there is the shoulder strap which is required for ground operations and takeoff/landing.

Any thoughts from those of you that have flown kids 3-8? (that's the years they are required in the booster style seat for cars)

Thanks!

Rob, I've dealt with this with Rachel when she was perhaps 6. We took her up in the Tiger and she was in the back in a booster Seat IIRC we just couldn't get the full child car seat to work. My recollection is that the back support on the seat could not be secured like you can in a car. In the car it was very very firmly pressed against the back of the seat. We just couldn't do that in the Tiger. The booster seat ( just the bottom) worked pretty well. The biggest hassle was the shoulder strap , which you don't have in the 172, landing right across her face. I forget how we corrected that. Barring all that advice, I find that Good Ole duct tape is wonderful as securing children to anything.:D

Thanks Adam,... watching the weather right now to see if we'll go up later this evening. I wish I would have went this morning when I was awake at 5am,...

The booster seat ( just the bottom) worked pretty well. The biggest hassle was the shoulder strap , which you don't have in the 172, landing right across her face. I forget how we corrected that. Barring all that advice, I find that Good Ole duct tape is wonderful as securing children to anything.:D

Thanks,.. I'll add that to my flight bag:rofl:

While booster seats work very well, they are not FAA-legal. Why? I have no idea, but read 91.107 for the FAA's rules.

collapse.gif
Sec. 91.107

Part 91 GENERAL OPERATING AND FLIGHT RULES​
Subpart B--Flight Rules
General​

Sec. 91.107

Use of safety belts, shoulder harnesses, and child restraint systems.

(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator--

(1) No pilot may take off a U.S.-registered civil aircraft (except a free balloon that incorporates a basket or gondola, or an airship type certificated before November 2, 1987) unless the pilot in command of that aircraft ensures that each person on board is briefed on how to fasten and unfasten that person's safety belt and, if installed, shoulder harness. OK they know how to buckle and unbuckle the lap-belts, no shoulder harness is available in the back seats.

(2) No pilot may cause to be moved on the surface, take off, or land a U.S.-registered civil aircraft (except a free balloon that incorporates a basket or gondola, or an airship type certificated before November 2, 1987) unless the pilot in command of that aircraft ensures that each person on board has been notified to fasten his or her safety belt and, if installed, his or her shoulder harness. OK

(3) Except as provided in this paragraph, each person on board a U.S.-registered civil aircraft (except a free balloon that incorporates a basket or gondola or an airship type certificated before November 2, 1987) must occupy an approved seat or berth with a safety belt and, if installed, shoulder harness, properly secured about him or her during movement on the surface, takeoff, and landing. OK For seaplane and float equipped rotorcraft operations during movement on the surface, the person pushing off the seaplane or rotorcraft from the dock and the person mooring the seaplane or rotorcraft at the dock are excepted from the preceding seating and safety belt requirements. Notwithstanding the preceding requirements of this paragraph, a person may:

(i) Be held by an adult who is occupying an approved seat or berth, provided that the person being held has not reached his or her second birthday and does not occupy or use any restraining device; They are 4 1/2
(ii) Use the floor of the aircraft as a seat, provided that the person is on board for the purpose of engaging in sport parachuting (could be fun,... j/k) ; or

(iii) Notwithstanding any other requirement of this chapter, occupy an approved child restraint system (so If they can be buckled in, from paragraphs above, no restraint system is required??, no weight/height restrictions like in cars?) furnished by the operator or one of the persons described in paragraph (a)(3)(iii)(A) of this section provided that:
(A) The child is accompanied by a parent, guardian, or attendant designated by the child's parent or guardian to attend to the safety of the child during the flight;
(B) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(3)(iii)(B)(4) of this action, the approved child restraint system bears one or more labels as follows:
(1) Seats manufactured to U.S. standards between January 1, 1981, and February 25, 1985, must bear the label: "This child restraint system conforms to all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards.";
(2) Seats manufactured to U.S. standards on or after February 26, 1985, must bear two labels:
(i) "This child restraint system conforms to all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards" (Our booster seats have this statement); and
(ii) "THIS RESTRAINT IS CERTIFIED FOR USE IN MOTOR VEHICLES AND AIRCRAFT" (we don't have this statement on the booster)
in red lettering;
(3) Seats that do not qualify under paragraphs (a)(3)(iii)(B)(1) and (a)(3)(iii)(B)(2) of this section must bear a label or markings showing:
(i) That the seat was approved by a foreign government;
(ii) That the seat was manufactured under the standards of the United Nations; or
[(iii) That the seat or child restraint device furnished by the operator was approved by the FAA through Type Certificate, Supplemental Type Certificate.
(iv) That the seat or child restraint device furnished by the operator, or one of the persons described in paragraph (a) (3) (iii) (A) of this section, was approved by the FAA in accordance with Sec. 21.305(d) or Technical Standard Order C-100b, or a later version.
(4) Except as provided in Sec. 91.107(a)(3)(iii)(B)(3)(iii) and Sec. 91.107(a)(3)(iii)(B)(3)(iv), booster-type child restraint systems (as defined in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 213 (49 CFR 571.213)), vest- and harness-type child restraint systems, and lap held child restraints are not approved for use in aircraft; and]

(C) The operator complies with the following requirements:
(1) The restraint system must be properly secured to an approved forward-facing seat or berth;
(2) The child must be properly secured in the restraint system and must not exceed the specified weight limit for the restraint system; and
(3) The restraint system must bear the appropriate label(s).
(b) Unless otherwise stated, this section does not apply to operations conducted under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter. Paragraph (a)(3) of this section does not apply to persons subject to Sec. 91.105.

So, my girls are 4 1/2, and they can operate the buckles on the seatbelts themselves. No other restraint system we have is "approved" for use in the aircraft besides the lap-belts. However, if I fly from Wings Field to someplace else, I need the Booster Seat for in the rental car anyway. So while it may not be an approved safety device, am I still permitted to use it in the aircraft for their flight, or does it have to be in the baggage location? (From the FAA perspective above, not necessarily from a parenting view) :rolleyes:

but IIRC, only a lap belt for the back passengers

Yes only lap belts in the back. I don't have the need for a booster seat yet so I am not sure how you would set it up but, we could take a look later this week.

Oh don't forget to get them both a log book for all the flights they take.

I was going to go last night, but the rain moved in before I could get the girls up from nap, fed dinner, and ready to go. :frown3:

The booster basically just sits on the rear seat and they use the lap belt, the back of it can come off, but it clears the window if I leave it on.

I'm off on Friday, may take the kids up then.

In our 172, I put my oldest daughter, Sam (1 1/2 yrs) in the front in a full forward facing car seat. When we start flying with my other daughter, Piper (9 weeks) she will sit in the back in her rear facing seat with Lauren. As they get older, I'll most likely use the bottom boosters in the back seats

Attachments

• IMG_3413small.JPG
    IMG_3413small.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 13
So, my girls are 4 1/2, and they can operate the buckles on the seatbelts themselves. No other restraint system we have is "approved" for use in the aircraft besides the lap-belts. However, if I fly from Wings Field to someplace else, I need the Booster Seat for in the rental car anyway. So while it may not be an approved safety device, am I still permitted to use it in the aircraft for their flight, or does it have to be in the baggage location? (From the FAA perspective above, not necessarily from a parenting view) :rolleyes:
It would appear that from the FAA perspective, your booster seats are "baggage".
booster-type child restraint systems (as defined in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 213 (49 CFR 571.213)), vest- and harness-type child restraint systems, and lap held child restraints are not approved for use in aircraft

I've actually had to kick the CEO out of his seat and make him sit backwards when he takes his grandkids on the Hawker:
(C) The operator complies with the following requirements:
(1) The restraint system must be properly secured to an approved forward-facing seat or berth

Last edited:
Not playing sematics here but a "Booster" seat is not a restraight system. a Full child seat with its own belts is. I look at a Booster seat as something that "Boosts the child high enough that they can be restraigned by the safety belt system that is installed in the plane.

Once again I revert to my duct tape suggestion as I do not see that mentioned anywhere in the FARs:D

In our 172, I put my oldest daughter, Sam (1 1/2 yrs) in the front in a full forward facing car seat. When we start flying with my other daughter, Piper (9 weeks) she will sit in the back in her rear facing seat with Lauren. As they get older, I'll most likely use the bottom boosters in the back seats
I agree, and if my daughters were still in those child seats, they would be in them in the plane too.

Not playing sematics here but a "Booster" seat is not a restraight system. a Full child seat with its own belts is. I look at a Booster seat as something that "Boosts the child high enough that they can be restraigned by the safety belt system that is installed in the plane.
Exactly,.... I think that sums it up very well.

Adam's right. The booster is just that -- a booster. It cannot be secured to the seat, which is why the FAA doesn't permit them. Remember, an infant seat is secured to the car/airplane seat, then the child is secured into the infant seat. A booster is not secured by anything other than the weight of the child, who is secured by the belt. The back of the booster is just for looks and, in some, to provide a handy place to rest the head while napping. It is not required. I've never used them in the plane.

The booster is only designed to lift kids up so that the shoulder belt restrains properly. Otherwise, they'll slash their throats.

Several solutions.

Use a booster with the lap/shoulder combo (i.e. just like strapping them in a car.) I've done that in a Sundowner, 182, and a Matrix, and it works fine.

You could also use the booster seat and just the lap restraint if you can't get the height to work properly. My older daughter hated the way the 182 shoulder strap came across at the base of her neck, so she'd put the shoulder strap behind her. Suboptimal, but I slid her seat aft so she'd be less likely to faceplant the yoke or panel.

Finally, you could just sit them in the seat, no booster. The shoulder strap will almost certainly not fit them, so you'll have to use lap belt only. Not a great solution.

As you noted by the highlights in your post, from that FAA perspective, you are not permitted to use it in the aircraft, even though it would almost certainly be safer and more comfortable.

As you noted by the highlights in your post, from that FAA perspective, you are not permitted to use it in the aircraft, even though it would almost certainly be safer and more comfortable.
So you're saying -- that you are not permitted to sit on a pillow either?

While searching the FSDO information on the FAA Site, I came across these two PDF files regarding child safety seats and their use.

On the one, it states about the booster seats and how they are not permitted for use in aircraft. And the other, states that children weighing 40 lbs or more are able to use the normal seat belts in the aircraft.

Shame that things don't match up well for Motor Vehicle Child Restraints and Aircraft use. Cause till my daughters are 8 they have to have the booster style seats for use in the car, which means I have to fly them with us to use in a courtesy car or rental, or rent them for additional cost at the destination,... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• AC%20120-87A.pdf
    244.7 KB · Views: 8
  • childsafety.pdf
    145.8 KB · Views: 8
On the one, it states about the booster seats and how they are not permitted for use in aircraft. And the other, states that children weighing 40 lbs or more are able to use the normal seat belts in the aircraft.

Shame that things don't match up well for Motor Vehicle Child Restraints and Aircraft use. Cause till my daughters are 8 they have to have the booster style seats for use in the car, which means I have to fly them with us to use in a courtesy car or rental, or rent them for additional cost at the destination,... :rolleyes:

Based on the first PDF you can use the booster in cruise but not for takeoffs and landings:rolleyes: Now try doing that in a 172.

It may come down to making a choice between what is safest for your childern vs. complying with the law. For me, as a parent, that choice is easy.

As noted earlier, the purpose of a "booster" seat is to raise the child so that the auto restraint systems (typically a single belt for lap and shoulder) won't injure the child.

Airliners have no shoulder belts, and the booster isn't needed.

GA planes with lap/shoulder belts are best served with the oregon aero (or similar) cushions. The only logic I find to prefer the cushion over the booster is that boosters typically have armrests and stuff that may hinder an evacuation.

I've got an airline trip coming up this weekend - I'm going to check the bottom half of Ciara's booster so we can have it for driving around at our destination.

No, I'm not saying that.
So what is the difference between sitting on a pillow and sitting on a plastic object which raises you just as a pillow would?

As noted earlier, the purpose of a "booster" seat is to raise the child so that the auto restraint systems (typically a single belt for lap and shoulder) won't injure the child.

Airliners have no shoulder belts, and the booster isn't needed.

GA planes with lap/shoulder belts are best served with the oregon aero (or similar) cushions. The only logic I find to prefer the cushion over the booster is that boosters typically have armrests and stuff that may hinder an evacuation.

I've got an airline trip coming up this weekend - I'm going to check the bottom half of Ciara's booster so we can have it for driving around at our destination.

One nit: AFaIK it's not just the shoulder belt that can cause serious injury to kids in a car (or airplane?) accident. From what I've read, the lap belt can ride up and over a kid's pelvic bones and crush internal organs without a booster. I would think that 2-3 inches of firm cushion would be sufficient to prevent that in an airplane for a child too old to use an infant seat although some boosters elevate the occupant more than that.

Also from personal experience with my own kid (she used a booster in the plane when she was small enough to use one in a car), being raised up allows the child to see out a lot better. And in my airplane, using a booster in the front seat interfered with the wheel.

One nit: AFaIK it's not just the shoulder belt that can cause serious injury to kids in a car (or airplane?) accident. From what I've read, the lap belt can ride up and over a kid's pelvic bones and crush internal organs without a booster. I would think that 2-3 inches of firm cushion would be sufficient to prevent that in an airplane for a child too old to use an infant seat although some boosters elevate the occupant more than that.

Also from personal experience with my own kid (she used a booster in the plane when she was small enough to use one in a car), being raised up allows the child to see out a lot better. And in my airplane, using a booster in the front seat interfered with the wheel.

Excellent point. The way airline belts are mounted this is less of an issue - my six-year-old fits fine - but in some cars the belts are NOT anchored to the seat and they can and do ride up.

Back