Book Club part Deux

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
OK I will finish A Gift of Wings by Richard Bach tomorrow. Its a great collection of short stories, including my favorite, School for Perfection. First one to PM me with an address gets it next. Then post back here when done and mail it on to the next person. PoA only, send it back to me if you cant find anyone else to send it to.

OK I will finish A Gift of Wings by Richard Bach tomorrow. Its a great collection of short stories, including my favorite, School for Perfection. First one to PM me with an address gets it next. Then post back here when done and mail it on to the next person. PoA only, send it back to me if you cant find anyone else to send it to.

While I did like school for perfection, it's riddled with Dick's usual large departure from reality (BTW I'm a big fan of his). My all time favorite story in that collection is Cat. I can't read it without getting choked up every time for some reason. Although logically I know it's fantasy, I want to believe it. Even thinking about it now give rise to a small chill. What did you think of that one?

And on a marginally related note, with a slightly longer storyline, Illusions is pretty high in my top ten list of novels.

Last edited:
Yea Cat was very good, heck ALL of them were very good!

OK folks, I just gave Tony a copy of Rocket Fighter. It's the memoir of a ME-163 pilot in Germany WWII. I just located a copy again after many years and read it in a day. It is one of the most incredible flying tales ever put to paper. The 163 was a fantastic airframe with a touchy motor and deadly dangerous fuel. When it worked as advertised it was the greatest ride in the sky bar none for decades. When it didn't the results were harsh to say the least. Nevertheless, those young glider pilots for the most part lined up to fly it even when they knew the war was lost and they might get killed by the airplane any flight just because it was the most incredible flying experience imaginable. A must read.

MM

speaking of Matt, did you see the picture of Heini Dittmar in the 163 on the back cover of Bungee Cord this month?

Does anyone want A Gift of Wings!?

I just had the most unusual feeling of Deja Vu...

OK folks, I just gave Tony a copy of Rocket Fighter. It's the memoir of a ME-163 pilot in Germany WWII. I just located a copy again after many years and read it in a day. It is one of the most incredible flying tales ever put to paper. The 163 was a fantastic airframe with a touchy motor and deadly dangerous fuel. When it worked as advertised it was the greatest ride in the sky bar none for decades. When it didn't the results were harsh to say the least. Nevertheless, those young glider pilots for the most part lined up to fly it even when they knew the war was lost and they might get killed by the airplane any flight just because it was the most incredible flying experience imaginable. A must read.

MM

I'd love to read that one. One of my neighbors in Florida was a ME-262 flight test pilot.

Well its been spoken for. Troska, a new student pilot, has claimed it. I know you all are probably sad because everyone was jumping at once to claim it, but when he's done Im sure you can have your chance.

Thanks, Tony - Now, who is next?

I've never read any Richard Bach before and found these short stories to be a needed break from studying my Jeppeson/Airplane flying Handbood/FAR, etc.

Send a PM, or reply to the thread and I can get it in the mail tomorrow.

Tim

While I'd like to be reading more stuff, I'm pretty much limited to the following and other associated materials for a period of time:
  1. Aviation Instructor's Handbook
  2. Jeppesen Flight Instructor Manual
  3. Kershner's Flight Instructor Manual
Heck, even much of my political readings are coming from some of the links posted here. But, I won't give up the WSJ! :)

While I'd like to be reading more stuff, I'm pretty much limited to the following and other associated materials for a period of time:
  1. Aviation Instructor's Handbook
  2. Jeppesen Flight Instructor Manual
  3. Kershner's Flight Instructor Manual
Heck, even much of my political readings are coming from some of the links posted here. But, I won't give up the WSJ! :)

Kenny,

Have Tim send you the book. It is a bunch of great short stories, and they are good, especially for a fresh CFI.

Kenny,

Have Tim send you the book. It is a bunch of great short stories, and they are good, especially for a fresh CFI.

Okay, I'm in... Tim, hit me up! :)

Oh wow, my 900th post! Chuck, I'm gonna catch up to ya... someday! :D

Kenny's well past Chuck on posts now. Still enjoying Gift of Wings?

I'll take it, John! I don't think I've had it yet! (check inside the cover just to make sure, though! :)

You can grab my mailing address from the Gann book I sent you Tuesday, or I'll PM it to you. (BTW I sent it out Media Mail, which is $2.77 for up to 2 pounds.)

Back