"Bonnie and Clyde Bridge" lost in flood

Jim_R

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
Clearly there was very little left of this bridge before it got washed off (one of) its rotting supports, but it served as a memorial of sorts for locals. I wonder how many "Al Capone alleyways" or "Butch Cassidy barns" might be scattered across the country serving as anchors for local lore? (My next wonder would be how closely that local lore actually matches the true history! :p)

Who's familiar with an otherwise-unremarkable structure or place that has some story associated with it that makes it important to the locals, but would go unnoticed by a stranger just passing by?

Who's familiar with an otherwise-unremarkable structure or place that has some story associated with it that makes it important to the locals, but would go unnoticed by a stranger just passing by?
Well, there was that time with Billy Joe McAllister.....

Ron Wanttaja

A little upper left corner history:

I was intrigued by the following story, of the location where Chief Leschi was hanged. The "monument" is a chunk of stone with a plaque on it. Barely visible in a little used area of a shopping mall. The monument isn't even the location. The plaque says that the Chief was hung 300 yards away.
Using the article and some other googling I was able to locate the spot. Absolutely nothing marks the location.

I've also made a point to find locations of skirmishes involving the Nez Perce.

Not too far from me is the house where Ma Barker and her boys had their final shootout with the feds.

When I was looking at houses 12 years ago, one had a full bar in the basement. It "allegedly" had something to do with Capone. Don't recall the whole story. But this area was one of Capone's hangouts....so it's possible. Wasn't enough to sell me.

When I was looking at houses 12 years ago, one had a full bar in the basement. It "allegedly" had something to do with Capone. Don't recall the whole story. But this area was one of Capone's hangouts....so it's possible. Wasn't enough to sell me.
A Hollywood star (B level, but...) grew up in our house ~10 years before we moved in. His family actually built the house, and he and the rest of the family wrote their names in the concrete in the garage. Still there.

When the first "Twilight" movie came out, I mentioned that fact to a co-worker (The actor was the bad guy in the movie). My co-worker mentioned it to his teenage daughter, who like many young females back then, was a huge fan. He told me later that she and other fans piled in a car and came and looked at our house....

Ron Wanttaja

Back