Boneheads flying into OSH

AcroBoy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jim N
OK- the Airventure hasn't even started, and a Cirrus has crashed and burned already yesterday. Right now I've been listening to the streaming feed from OSH, and in just a few minutes there were already a handful of people who just decided to show up without the FISK transition and ask for landing instructions. What's with all of the talking on the radio? Why are there all the questions about what to do when the procedures are well described? What happened to the NOTAM? Yes, it can be very confusing and hectic (which is why I drive there), but why stack the odds against you and everyone else by not at least checking the NOTAMS? Let's be careful out there.

Every year, every year you get boneheads out there that take an hectic situation, and make it dangerous. I am leaving in 9 hours to fly out there, and I told the fiancee that all she is to do is look for planes, non-stop looking. I think some people barely made it through the PPL checkride, and now are in the most dense airspace on the planet, and do it with no pre-flight action.

I got stuck behind a DC-3 one year, and he was going at around 80k, and I need at least 120k to avoid hanging on the prop with the nose way up in the air and no forward vision. My options were to get low and slow with a high sink rate and no forward vision, or do a bunch of S-turns in order to see. It was not a comfortable situation, and then once I landed a volunteer walked up and broke off the sight gauge on my aerobatic plane. He just shrugged his shoulders and walked away without saying a word. Now, I drive up in air conditioned comfort in the sedan, with a lot less stress. Of course, it's only a little over an hour ride.

We leave KUGN for the show around 6 am tomorrow - even at that early hour, every year there is someone who calls and starts a conversation with Fisk, while the rest of us do what we're supposed to.

I liked Rick Durden's article on AvWeb - there SHOULD be a fee if they do not have the NOTAM, and the fee should triple if they so much as press the PTT button (unless told to do so) within 20 nm of FISK!

I liked Rick Durden's article on AvWeb - there SHOULD be a fee if they do not have the NOTAM, and the fee should triple if they so much as press the PTT button (unless told to do so) within 20 nm of FISK!

I had a *very* interesting trip in on Sunday evening.

I was going to be among the final few airplanes arriving, and I arrived over Ripon at about 7:45 PM. Just before I got there, Fisk Approach asked if there were any aircraft on the freq inbound to OSH, field closes in 15 minutes? There was a Bonanza 21 miles from Ripon, and a 310 31 miles from Ripon. Since I was already starting down the tracks, I didn't speak up until he started clearing the other airplanes direct to Fisk. A couple minutes after I checked in, they told me to go ahead and accelerate back to normal cruise speed.

So I got to Fisk, they said "71G, rock your wings" (yes, using my tail number) and then said "71G, Fly the approach to 36L and CONTACT tower now, they have a request for you." So I flipped frequencies and called the tower - They said they'd seen some smoke that they thought was near the base-to-final turn, and could I check it out? They also cleared me to land. I let them know that I didn't see any smoke or wreckage and landed.

In the interim, a Cirrus called the tower from over the lake, the 310 flew right through the approach I was flying *backwards* on his way to Fisk (passed 500 feet above me with his lights off), a Mooney checked in with Fisk saying they were inbound, and an "experimental jet, we're 11 minutes out, we've burned a lot of fuel to get here sir, we'd really like to make it in tonight" called with 10 minutes left before the field closed. (They asked him his DME. "62 sir, showing eleven minutes to the field.")

But, as usual, the controllers were excellent. The Cirrus landed right behind me (and between floating and rollout, ended up taxiing in front of me), the 310 and Bo got sent to 27, the Mooney came in as the tower was supposed to close, and the jet was cleared straight in to 36, screaming the whole way in. I managed to shut down at about 7:58 PM. The Mooney was the last bird moving - The whole field was quiet except for him.

Then, there was Tuesday (I flew out to MWC and back to pick up Bill Williams) and I'd guess that 40% of the planes coming in had not read the NOTAM. Un-freakin'-believable. People calling up Fisk Approach as if they were entering a class C somewhere, needing instructions as to how to get from Fisk to OSH, asking whether they should fly left or right traffic, and generally talking on the radio a LOT which is not generally supposed to happen... :hairraise: Tuesday, the only radio call I made was to advise Fisk that there was a crop duster working right next to the tracks, and was making his turns right into the arrivals (he wasn't making it quite up to 1800 MSL, but he was high enough to see straight over the 182's not-small cowl).

But hey - Working with bozos is a challenge. I like challenges (though I don't like bozos). So, I flew in and out three times this year - Once for me, once for Bill, once for Troy. Now that I understand the system, it's a lot easier to detect bozos. :yes: There's generally a lot more on the departure than the arrival, too... People forget that there's more to the NOTAM than the arrival! :eek:

When I was over the lake, a older gentleman called "fisk approach, 20 miles out, will be there in ten minutes, looking for landing instructions" and it progressed from there. He kept talking like fisk was an approach controller, and the dumby never got the fact that he was the ONLY one talking. Why do these people think that they can fly to the bussiest airport in the world with out looking at a notam.

When I was over the lake, a older gentleman called "fisk approach, 20 miles out, will be there in ten minutes, looking for landing instructions" and it progressed from there. He kept talking like fisk was an approach controller, and the dumby never got the fact that he was the ONLY one talking. Why do these people think that they can fly to the bussiest airport in the world with out looking at a notam.

Can't you guess? "I dunno what dem guys at home were talking about! It don't sound busy at all!"

That jet was an L-29 Delfin and he taxied in while all the WB vols were lining up for a cookout next to the volunteer food shack. Talk about sprinting to the flight line...

We flew in Friday afternoon around 3pm. Filed into UNU to avoid the ifr reservation system, and to get extra fuel in case we had to hold for unplanned runway outages.

Flying the Warbird Arrival has its advantages... :)

In the interim, a Cirrus called the tower from over the lake, the 310 flew right through the approach I was flying *backwards* on his way to Fisk (passed 500 feet above me with his lights off), a Mooney checked in with Fisk saying they were inbound, and an "experimental jet, we're 11 minutes out, we've burned a lot of fuel to get here sir, we'd really like to make it in tonight" called with 10 minutes left before the field closed. (They asked him his DME. "62 sir, showing eleven minutes to the field.")

I didn't fly in this year, but I drove up on Monday and Friday, and had my handheld tuned to Fond du Lac and Oshkosh just to hear the controllers. They were great as always.

However, I would like to point out one particular controller at KFLD (temporary tower). She was working the tower on Monday morning (I think) and again in the afternoon, and she was about as cooperative, polite, and pleasant as I have ever heard on the radio. Driving south somewhere around 1815 local a warbird asked for a low approach over the runway, and she granted permission. He then asked if he would get in trouble for this, and she responded, in the nicest way possible, "Warbird 1234, we are the FAA and we just gave you permission, so you go right ahead."

I don't know where they import these folks from, but I wish they'd stay year 'round!

Funny you should mention that, because there were some Feds looking for 5 Mustangs that overflew the Wal-Mart at FLD at 300' !....:rolleyes:

On the way home we were talking to a Little Rock approach controller and she mentioned one of theirs was working OSH during the week. They come from all over...

I didn't fly in this year, but I drove up on Monday and Friday, and had my handheld tuned to Fond du Lac and Oshkosh just to hear the controllers. They were great as always.

However, I would like to point out one particular controller at KFLD (temporary tower). She was working the tower on Monday morning (I think) and again in the afternoon, and she was about as cooperative, polite, and pleasant as I have ever heard on the radio. Driving south somewhere around 1815 local a warbird asked for a low approach over the runway, and she granted permission. He then asked if he would get in trouble for this, and she responded, in the nicest way possible, "Warbird 1234, we are the FAA and we just gave you permission, so you go right ahead."

I don't know where they import these folks from, but I wish they'd stay year 'round!

Last edited:
I was ready to be appalled, and even frightened, flying in for the first time, but our arrival Wednesday and departure Friday went like clockwork- no boneheads, very smooth and helpful controllers and marshallers... it seemed to be everything it's supposed to be.

Anymouse and I flew in on Tuesday, hitting Fisk around noon - didn't see a single plane... until we turned to follow the tracks at Ripon, when a supercub cut in front of us and started flying about 60 mph. We did a 360 and still ran up on him, going as slow as we could. Sheesh.

90 kts in a supercub could be a challenge...

Anymouse and I flew in on Tuesday, hitting Fisk around noon - didn't see a single plane... until we turned to follow the tracks at Ripon, when a supercub cut in front of us and started flying about 60 mph. We did a 360 and still ran up on him, going as slow as we could. Sheesh.

The bird dog is slow.....we had a Bonanza behind us. Talk about pressure.....:eek:

I didn't have any problems this year. Fisk finally told the guy behind me to quit doing S-turns and just leave the line and come back in again for spacing. You have to trust the people behind you not to run you down and hope for the best. It's a bit harder when you fly in by yourself.

My main concern was the crosswind gusting to 25 KTS, especially since I felt a bit tail-heavy. It was my best landing of the entire 3-day trip (fiasco) especially since I had to drag it down to the green dot, but evidently no one noticed. :D

Saw no one on the way in (scary actually, I'm less frightened when I can see them) and had the field to myself. Got out in no time at all. An excellent trip both ways.

Last year I got cut out of the flow SIX times in a row buy boneheads joining the arrival between RIPON and FISKE!! It would have been seven except I wouldn't let the last guy in a 172 slide in in front of me. The look on his face was priceless when we went by him and most of the five people in our Cherokee Six were giving him the one fingered salute. There is always some idiot who doesn't read the rules or think it doesn't apply to him.

Foolishness wasn't limited to pilots however. We were told at FISKE to enter the right base fo runway 09 and contact tower. Tower cleared us to land on a spot and we acknowledged. Two seconds later, tower gave us a traffic alert for a Malibu on the ILS. I spotted him descending out of the overcast directly above us. Called him insight and said we could S-turn for spacing. Tower thanked us and apologized for approach control dropping an IFR arrival in on short notice.

Did the usual early Monday departure this year. Short taxi from Aeroshell square and takeoff as a two ship. Ground and tower were great. Very nice and pleasant until we switched to air to air frequency and the RV guys gave me a headache with their usual utter lack of radio discipline( but don't get me started on that).

Nice weather and a nice show. Already got reservations for next year.

Flew in twice - once first thing Monday morning, then again Friday morning. Also drove up Tuesday and camped.

Monday - yikes! A sport LSA type cut in front of everyone, couldn't figure out how to do 90 knots at 1800 feet, and the 4 RV's they cut off were doing everything they could not to lose it. At one point we were down to 80 knots - I was gaining on the RV's but managed to back off. What was scary was the angle of attack the RV's had to hold. I thought for sure one was gonna spin in.

They sent the LSA to the left side of the tracks at Fisk then up to Rwy 9 and lectured them to speed up, sent the RV's to the right and over to 18. I followed the LSA all the way in and the story was the same - speed up, slow down, gain altitude, lost altitude. My passenger had never flown in before, and he got a taste of the fun.

We made up for it by being #1 to depart Rwy 9 after the show.

Friday morning was uneventful. Couple of yahoos on the radio, as always. Finally Fisk approach told one to shut up. He didn't.

after we switched to tower freq (rwy 27 wed AM) their radio was terrible, i couldn't understand a word

We hit Rippon @ a/o 7:15 wed morning. There were maybe 3-4 planes ahead of us and everyone was following the notam. Everyone was getting their own runway, so our arrival was actually pretty easy. I won't count on being as lucky next year, however.

Back