Bonanza rental in Austin

zaitcev

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pete Zaitcev
Does anyone know of an outfit in Austin (TX) area that offers dual in Bonanza, preferably an older one with IO-470?

I'm lining up some time in N200JJ in Denver, but it's difficult to get ducks in the row for a trip, and I'm going to be in Austin for business in a month.

Shane, thanks a lot! I have set up appointment with Ken for late afternoon today.. Fretting about road traffic now. I've been in a little jam coming into town this morning. -- Pete

Shane, thanks a lot! I have set up appointment with Ken for late afternoon today.. Fretting about road traffic now. I've been in a little jam coming into town this morning. -- Pete

Pete, try to stay off of I-35 and 290 you'll do better. There are toll roads, but they get a little pricey. My son is going to school there now and I'm usually there about once a month in the Tiger.

Pete, try to stay off of I-35 and 290 you'll do better.
Naah, it's fine. Just a little traffic, but I got to Burnet on time.

The main outcome is that Bo is not too hot a ship for me, even with IO-520. I just need to fly it by numbers and slow down before getting on the downwind. I remember that a transition to Arrow felt like flying a jet, all for 10 mph increase on final. This one didn't feel like anything amazing. Just needs a bit of right rudder and keeping nose down on a go-around. So, I'm ready to buy one as planned. Unfortunately, in all the excitement I forgot to ask Ken about HP endorsement.

I thought about a Tiger since you let me try yours out. But I really want to keep the door open for some light duty off-pavement flying, like what NM RAF does. Things like fly-in to Candy Kitchen and Mystic Bluff. Maybe Negrito. A Bonanza with IO-470 seems clearly superior over Tiger for that, for a manageable increase in cost.

Last edited:
Naah, it's fine. Just a little traffic, but I got to Burnet on time.

The main outcome is that Bo is not too hot a ship for me, even with IO-520. I just need to fly it by numbers and slow down before getting on the downwind. ... Unfortunately, in all the excitement I forgot to ask Ken about HP endorsement.

I thought about a Tiger since you let me try yours out. But I really want to keep the door open for some light duty off-pavement flying, like what NM RAF does. Things like fly-in to Candy Kitchen and Mystic Bluff. Maybe Negrito. A Bonanza with IO-470 seems clearly superior over Tiger for that, for a manageable increase in cost.

Are you usually solo or one passenger max? I'm thinking of switching to an RV7 if I can find the right one. I haven't had more than a single pax in quite a long time and I'd like to switch to a tail wheel in the future. I love the Tiger, but it'd be nice to get a little extra speed. Also, I got hammered HARD on repairs this year (avionics) with two events running about 5k. I do love the Tiger rudder, that thing is a BEAST in gusty crosswind landings ... feels like cheating sometimes:D

Are you usually solo or one passenger max? I'm thinking of switching to an RV7 if I can find the right one. I haven't had more than a single pax in quite a long time and I'd like to switch to a tail wheel in the future. I love the Tiger, but it'd be nice to get a little extra speed. Also, I got hammered HARD on repairs this year (avionics) with two events running about 5k.
I liked working on Carlson, although I haven't gotten around to avionics upgrades. So, I have tailwheel time and I maintained an experimental. So, an RV was on my list. But I found it impossible to find an affordable RV into which I could fit. I can barely squeeze into some RV-4s, depending how they are built. I can fit into RV-6 (tried Joyce and Art's RV-6A), but they are $50k airplanes and up. Jay's RV-8A was something like $118k IIRC. An older Bonanza is significantly cheaper up front, although of course it's more expensive long term. That is despite being much bigger airplane than I need.

Back