Bonanza Down in N. Miss.

This track is eeriely suspicious.
Forgive me, but how? It looks like he ran into a weather front, lost control as he approached another little squall.
I just don't understand why he would have deviated off course to the south as much as he did. Typically guys in Bonanzas turn on the autopilot and fly direct, and if something goes catastrophically wrong they just sort of crash in the intended direction of travel.

Suspicious in that it may represent the terminal flight path without being validated as such. I don't think Bo's normally fly at 20,000' (check the track log).

Care to expand on the eerily suspicious bit? I don't get it. (nm, saw your post)

Do you think they go sucked up into a CB?

The flightaware track showed a 3500+ fpm climb toward the end.

Quite possible, they may have been boxed in by a rapidly developing area of convective activity. Purely speculation on my part.

We've had several localized intense cells moving through the state all day. Clear blue between.

Do you think they go sucked up into a CB?

The flightaware track showed a 3500+ fpm climb toward the end.

Update

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/10/26/762187/authorities-investigating-fatal.html

An Atlanta businessman and his wife were killed in a plane crash Tuesday in northeast Mississippi after they had watched their daughter play in a golf tournament, the man's father said.

Tragic.:sad:

fwiw, i've seen my N number on Flightaware reported as a Cessna Caravan flying into Miami from the Bahamas, so I take the data on that site with a grain of salt.

Was a B36 TC with IO-520. Very capable airplane up high. Looks like wx an issue here , possibly ice/turb/hellish winds/drafts.

Suspicious in that it may represent the terminal flight path without being validated as such. I don't think Bo's normally fly at 20,000' (check the track log).
I believe that someone on the BT board said it was a B36TC.

Quite possible, they may have been boxed in by a rapidly developing area of convective activity. Purely speculation on my part.

We've had several localized intense cells moving through the state all day. Clear blue between.

While we're speculating, I have to wonder if the pilot was using XM NEXRAD to avoid the TRW. That's been known to fake you right into a fast moving or developing cell.

Please place both hands on the cowling, sir, and spread your feet.
Update

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/10/26/762187/authorities-investigating-fatal.html

An Atlanta businessman and his wife were killed in a plane crash Tuesday in northeast Mississippi after they had watched their daughter play in a golf tournament, the man's father said.

Tragic.:sad:

fwiw, i've seen my N number on Flightaware reported as a Cessna Caravan flying into Miami from the Bahamas, so I take the data on that site with a grain of salt.

Another guy and I were talking about the crash at work today. He said there was a reported tornado in the line of storms about where the Bo crashed. That would probably do it.

While we're speculating, I have to wonder if the pilot was using XM NEXRAD to avoid the TRW. That's been known to fake you right into a fast moving or developing cell.

Trying to go around that SW quadrant of the cell can put you in the worst part often times. And yes I did mean TSIO-520, but sort of a given with B36TC.

Watch the video; wreckage is spread out over 1.5 miles, looks like it broke up in the air, so a CB encounter wouldn't be out of the question. Beech are stout airplanes; to see one broke up like that... yikes. Must have been some severe turbulence.

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13390169
It could also be that the pilot lost control (extreme turbulence, vertigo, etc) and fell into a high speed spiral then pulled the tail and/or wings off attempting to recover. Or he could have flown into a "horizontal tornado" with enough energy to disassemble a 727.

Back