Bonanza/Deb Panel Question

kyleb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Drake the Outlaw
I had the opportunity to sit in an acquaintance's Bonanza last week and one thing which really struck me was the height of the glareshield. It seemed really high and really interfered with over the nose visibility. For what it is worth, this was an early 70's model.

My question is whether earlier models had a lower glareshield, and if so, when did the change take place?

How tall ye be, laddie? Are you sure the seat-back was in the up-right notch?
I had the opportunity to sit in an acquaintance's Bonanza last week and one thing which really struck me was the height of the glareshield. It seemed really high and really interfered with over the nose visibility. For what it is worth, this was an early 70's model.

My question is whether earlier models had a lower glareshield, and if so, when did the change take place?

I'm 5'7". I tower over midgets, hobbits, and Shetland Ponies. Usually.

But back to my question.... ;-)

Many more complaints about the Cessna panels that (to me, anyway) seem much higher than Bo panels. Can't remember any other complaints, which makes me suspicious about your seat-back adjustment. Some of the right-seat adjustment mechanisms are worn from use and abuse, so if you're seated on that side you might think the seat is fully upright when in fact it is a notch or so reclined. The Bo seat-backs are quite upright (and uncomfortable for me) when in the forward notch, so it's not uncommon to find them slightly reclined.

I'm about 5-10 and have never had a problem seeing over the glareshield on any Bonanza or Baron (same cockpit). I suspect you were fooled by the typical 3-5° nose up attitude that Bonanzas sit at on the ground. Aside from that a few have vertically adjustable seats but it's unlikely you were sitting in one and even then the lowest position is about where the fixed seats ride. Another potential issue is that the cushions are often redone with different amounts and types of foam and I know a few pilots who've used thinner than standard materials to gain a little headroom.

As Lance said, individuals adjust the cushion height when they upholster their seats. Tall people take foam out and short people like myself add foam. The seats rise up as they move forward on the rails. In some Bonanzas, I have used a seat cushion to get the extra inch or so I desire.

It ain't tiny, but I do not regard the Bo panel as being too huge, either.

I like to fly with the seat full-forward, which reduces the "too-tall" aspect (as noted above), but also puts me right close, indeed, which is a strong reason for always wearing the shoulder harness (but you should, anyway!).

When you fly in a Bonanza (and surely you must!), you'll find that the panel is not too high at all, in part because, at cruise, the airplanes attitude places the panel well below your typical line of sight. If you're used to the view from a Cessna, you'll feel like you are descending at level flight based upon what you see out of the windshield, and if you trim for level flight based upon your prior experience of where the horizon should appear to be, you'll be climbing briskly.

Thanks for all of the replies, but I'm still wondering whether there was a glare shield height change, and if so, when.

When you fly in a Bonanza (and surely you must!), you'll find that the panel is not too high at all, in part because, at cruise, the airplanes attitude places the panel well below your typical line of sight. If you're used to the view from a Cessna, you'll feel like you are descending at level flight based upon what you see out of the windshield, and if you trim for level flight based upon your prior experience of where the horizon should appear to be, you'll be climbing briskly.

Was the plane on the ground when you sat in it or flying? You ever been in a 210 or something like that? I don't think there's ever been much change in the basic design.

I've always considered the Bo panel to be "low" compared to many Cessna and Piper products. The real real old 172s are nice and low though.

I think Beech went to the later taller Six Pack panel in 62 with the P model, although I never really considered it tall. Wayne may have the answer on this that the seat adjustment is not properly set.

Back