Bombardier Safety Standdown

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
Hi guys,

Have you ever heard of Bombardier's Safety Standdown? It's a safety seminar free to all pilots who register and attend. The next one is Oct 6-9th in Wichita which is coming up fast. One of my long time pilot friends brought it to my attention yesterday who is also a king air pilot. He said he has never walked away feeling like he didn't learn anything. Here is the basic website. http://www.safetystanddown.com/

What caught my eye are these workshops especially. You can pick either the Medical training or two of the last 4 per workshop per day. One workshop is offered per day.

In Flight Medical Training: In this intensive hands-on course, participants will learn basic first aid, CPR, blood-borne pathogen education, and instruction on the use of AEDs and common inflight medical issues. Participants will learn patient assessment and treatment techniques including medical kit components and proper usage. The course combines classroom learning with hands-on practice not only in the classroom, but also on the Aircare FACTS Mobile cabin simulator. This exposes them to the realistic inflight medical scenarios and the challenges involved with assessment and treating of patients within the aircraft cabin.

(Pick Two Per workshop)
Aircraft Cabin Evacuations (land and water) - Expo Hall
This session provides instruction and hands-on participation in land and water evacuations using Aircare FACTS’ full-motion cabin simulator,
Participants will learn human factors considerations for in-flight emergencies, crew communication, cabin preparation, and the differences between preparing for land versus water evacuations. Participants will have a chance to assume PIC and SIC responsibilities for a host of inflight emergencies including rapid decompression, hydraulic failure, smoke and fire among others.
Participants will have the opportunity to use approved overwing exits representing most aircraft types with instruction on smoke and fire fighting using Aircare FACTS walk-in live fire trainer.
Live Smoke and Fire training - Expo Hall | **WAITLIST**
In this session, participants will learn the basics of smoke and fire fighting including hands on experience in Aircare’s walk-in smoke and fire trainer. The trainer simulates lavatory, galley and sitting area fires with intense heat and smoke. Participants learn about different types of fires and different types of extinguishers including those most commonly found on aircraft (water and halon)
Hypoxia Awareness Training - Stimson / Santa Fe | **WAITLIST**
Participants will be instructed / refreshed on hypoxia physiology then have an opportunity to perform basic cognitive tests while being taken to 25,000 feet using Aircare’s hypoxia awareness trainers. For crews, this is great opportunity to experience (or re-experience) their own symptoms of hypoxia to help prevent catastrophic consequences, without the harsh and dangerous side effects of the chamber.
Wet Ditching, Underwater Egress and Search and Rescue - Hotel Pool

In this session participants will receive intensive instruction on wet-ditching and search and rescue. This includes review of survival kit contents and their proper use, Aircare’s underwater egress dunker, instruction on life-raft, crew coordination and command, and other in-water survival techniques.

A few quick clips I found on the water training:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywgZJHOodWA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPLQQM75P8A

There are also speakers throughout each morning from NTSB, FAA, Meteorologists, etc.

Here is a clip from a topic they'll talk about Thursday on Upset Recovery. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QirvkEDoTC8

Also, this is the Agenda: http://www.safetystanddown.com/aviation-safety-seminars/united-states-2014

I believe this was exactly the training I think is missing. What's great is this is offered free and I don't believe is covered as much during everyone's Flight Safety sessions. The only downside I'm told is if you register and don't show up, there's a steep cancelation fee. I'm also not sure what they mean yet by "Waitlist." I'm still doing my research. I thought about going to this but wanted to get opinions on whether this would be worth while to take time off to go do. It wouldn't be hanging on the beach somewhere but an opportunity to increase training at no cost (except hotel and gas of course, it's about a 4.5 hour drive one way). I also need to find out if its a requirement to go all 4 days. It looked a bit repetitive in some areas and Tuesday and Wed would be the main days.

Before I look into it further, what do you think?

Last edited:
I went in 2007 and thought it was worthwhile, although the format was different at that time. It seems to me that most of the lectures were "general sessions" and there weren't a selection of workshops. I also did not do the evacuation training which I though would be worthwhile. They didn't offer the individual hypoxia training although they did a demo with a volunteer on stage using that equipment. I think the equipment (hypoxia awareness trainer) was new at the time.

If you have a chance I think you should go, although you are really close to the cutoff date which is Monday 9/22. Are there still openings?

Honestly, I didn't see there was a cutoff date. I didn't know there were limitations on openings. I was just told about it yesterday so I've still been looking and asking about it. It's a weekend too so of course no one answers the phone.

Last edited:
Honestly, I didn't see there was a cutoff date. I didn't know there were limitations on openings. I was just told about it yesterday so I've still been looking.

I know there is a limitation on openings. I was going to go in 2006 but I was too late applying (and I think I applied a month or so before the cutoff) so I waited until 2007.

Well that's depressing. My buddy didn't mention how hard it would be to get in. It's hard to take a 1/3rd of my vacation a year to go to a seminar but it did look like it'd be a good idea to go. I might have been able to sneak by with 2-3 days.

You could always contact them and ask. When I went, I found out that most attendees were sponsored by their employer. My employer paid for the hotel but I had to use my own PTO or days off (I had a lot built up, though) and provide my own transportation (I drove).

Back