Boise for the Solar Eclipse from LA - How?

comanchepilot

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Joe Farrell, yeah, him
Right now I"m leaning toward diverting early to Southwest or Alaska for this - fares aren't too bad and would cost about the price of Avgas for anything reasonable.

I've looked at the routing three ways from Sunday from POC - BOI area [Ontario, etc] and my #1 goal is to avoid overflying the Nevada desert in summer. Not only do you see thunderstorms in the monsoon [which in the middle of August can reach to Canada] but there nothing down there - no town, a few ranches, no cell service - nothing - its literally a vast right wing waste land.

Plus, you've got Restricted Areas and hot MOA's EVERYWHERE - in addition to 11000' peaks scattered around. In the terms of inhospitable terrain its right up there with the Rockies as having no really good place to put an airplane down. I would only feel comfortable with at least 10 gallons of water - which kills almost 100lbs of payload as well. Maybe its the desert survival training - but thats a place where absent a PIRB you don't want to go down in August. A directish routing takes you over the southern Sierra but there China Lake which rules that out so you have to go over Vegas regardless before you turn left.

So - I'm looking at alternative routes - you have two essentially - I15 to Salt Lake and then I84 to Boise, or I5 to Klamath Falls, turn right 45 degrees until Boise.

Both are at the bleeding edge of range for 3 people in the Comanche - fuel burn at 10,500 then 11.500 after the right turn looks to be about 70 gallons. I'd have 86. I like to land with an hour reserve.

Anybody done this before or have any brilliant ideas - I want to do this nonstop because I want tobe on the ground before it gets too hot. . . . 1p is the outside edge that. Which with 5 hour trip time and loss of the hour for mountain time is 6 hours - which means a 7am wheels up - which is fine -

Anyway- anyone see any holes in my analysis?

Southwest/Alaska for ease and speed, POC-CIC-BOI for beauty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The funny thing is regardless of whether I fly myself or the airlines total time is about the same since you have connect to get Boise from pretty much anywhere except SEA/PDX/SLC. . . .

Looking forward to this. From my location we'll be at 99.8% within the eclipse path.

Looking forward to this. From my location we'll be at 99.8% within the eclipse path.
you defnitely need to move a couple of miles cause the difference between 99.8 and 100 is dramatic . . .

you defnitely need to move a couple of miles cause the difference between 99.8 and 100 is dramatic . . .
Yeah I'm right on the southern outer ring of it, a 20 mile drive north will just about put me in the center of it. Trying my best to plan ahead for it as well.

Even in monsoon season the CBs often don't pop up until late morning or early afternoon. Sometimes an eastern Nevada/Utah route is better, sometimes western Nevada -- it changes day by day.

Another possibility is to cut through the Sierras via Donner Pass, then FMG -> SDO -> REO -> BOI. It's remote and boring to be sure, but there are plenty of emergency landing options. The MOAs in southeast Oregon mostly have floors of 10K or 11K, and are not always hot, so you can cut some corners. Weekends are the best bet.

One other environmental issue to contend with that time of year in the inland Northwest is layers of smoke from wildfires. It spreads throughout the region for hundreds of miles, and goes up quite high. A couple of years ago I flew from Elko NV to Burns OR at 12,500, legal VFR, but most of the way there was no horizon and only seeing the ground straight down. There can be plenty of TFRs for those wildfires, too.

Last edited:
LMT to BOI isnt much less desolate than flying through Nevada. Do it IFR, I follow roads. That way if ya gotta go down you'll be close to help

Back