Boeing won

Well, I did think the Boeing-SAAB product was best looking of the bunch. IOC is 2024 and FOC is 2034.

Yeah theirs looks sweet for sure. Still a long ways out. The AF bought ADS-B units for the -38...You dont even want to know how much that cost! hahaha

Just found out about this. Most of my coworkers didn't give one $---t because they'll all be retired by the T-X IOC proposed date. I on the other hand will probably still be hanging around here by the proposed IOC. Just spoke about it with a co-worker who is on the OT&E side of things, and the plan to data collect once OT gets in full swing in 2 years will be aggressive. Still, the program will take decades to fully deploy, which isn't an indictment on the airplane, but rather our MIC boondoggle.

I was frankly surprised to see the T-50 not win it. It was pretty much an off the shelf offering, sans the modifications Lockheed was going to make to the KAI baseline product in order to meet the T-X program specifications. Ditto for Leonardo's actual off-the-shelf offering. In typical fashion, Boeing overpromised and low balled imo, and wouldn't surprise me if they underdeliver considering the clean slate nature of the proposal and their track record with the 787 program.

Lord help us all. I'm no fan of Lockheed, but this is more of the same MIC song and dance. Captive audience though, we need a replacement for the T-38 and we're wicked late to the upcoming fight (and I'll digress for OPSEC reasons).

On a personal agenda level, I very much look forward to the upgrade. I'm trying to get my hands on this jet earlier than IOC if I can swing it. There may be some opportunities to support th OT mission for non-test guys and I already told the wife if an opportunity presents itself, I may entertain some back and forth to Edwards et al. The wife seems on board; I love that lady. I really don't want to wait until 2024 to fly what more than likely be my retirement airplane. This program will be around well after I retire, so there's a lot of potential for follow-on short-term contracting gigs, especially since I'm not one bit interested in dabbling in the 'junior' airline life during my kiddo's high school years.

In the end, flying that thing is gonna be a blast. I really hope I get to fly it before I retire. F404 engine is muy bueno (Hornet engine).

We got to look at it up close on a tour of the Boeing production facility earlier this year. I'll say it looks a little goofy up close, but probably a decent upgrade. Interestingly (or maybe not), the landing gear appeared to be an exact replica of those on the F-16.....a GD/LM product. F404 is a good motor, though I wonder if they have modified it with an F414 FADEC since this is the 21st century and all.....didn't think to ask the chief pilot that question.

Back