Boeing vs Airbus

Jason608

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jason608
I'm working on a presentation and I think comparing the fundamental pilot philosophy between the two designs may help illustrate a point. Plus I look forward to the comments. :)

One of my CFIs told me Boeing's guiding principal is to make a "Pilot's airplane" built with safety measures and feedback loops for pilot interaction. While Airbus builds an airplane that relies on itself (the tech at least) and the pilot is there to correct software driven issues. So from some of the research I have done, Boeing designs a cockpit with a plane around it and Airbus designs the airplane for little pilot interaction.

I understand this may be ignorant on my side, which is why I'm starting a conversation as part of my research.

In a software driven world, autonomous vehicles and flashing lights that tell you when something is wrong, is Boeing's guiding principal around the pilot out dated?

Most of us on this board are GA pilots, so you likely won't get many opinions from those who have actually flown the two. Might be better to reach out to a different demographic.

There are a bunch of Airline pilots on Beechtalk. You may try there under the babble section.

Tim

For starters, contact the marketing depts at each of the manufacturers.
Next, checkout pprune.org for people flying the many airliners on a daily basis.

Asking a bunch of *pilots*, even those with time in type, what the *designer's* philosophy is, is almost always going to result in an incorrect answer.
Reading a marketing brochure, even written by the manufacturer, is almost as likely to provide an incorrect or at least simplified and skewed answer.

Nauga,
from both sides

Airbus pilots frequently say "what's it doing now" that's the difference.
It hasn't been that long since a similar reaction in a Boeing product ended somewhat spectacularly.

Nauga,
and another great moment in mass-media buffoonery

Post it your question on

propilotworld.com
and
jetcareers.com

Here's the best description I've ever heard:

Draw a Circle. Then draw several circles around the outside of that Circle. Connect the little circles to the big circles with a line to each one.
Boeing puts the pilot in the center circle and all of the sensors in the smaller Circles. All the sensors feed information to the pilot and the pilot makes the decision.

Airbus puts the computer in the center circle and the pilot is simply one of the sensors feeding into the computer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Their commonality is that both are very automated making troubleshooting, for the most part, easier for maintenance, positively impacting airline on time performance. The down side is: maintenance doesn't have a need for complete systems understanding, hence, manuals are not as detailed as in older aircraft. 20 years ago, I heard mechanics with mostly Boeing experience say Airbus manuals suck. Now Boeing manuals suck, too

How come it isn't Boeing vs. Airbus vs. Cirrus?

With the Airbus you get the barking dogs in the baggage. My wife and I flew on a 321 yesterday and I warned her about the noise coming up through the floor near the wings.

Especially after we landed the noise started and she said that it did sound like barking dogs.

By the way I like Boeing better!

Another good forum to ask would be Airline Pilot Central. Lots of experience over there

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back