Boeing CEO to step down by the end of the year

AV8R_87

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
OC
Boeing boss Dave Calhoun will leave at the end of this year amid a deepening crisis over the firm's safety record.

Boeing also said that the head of its commercial airlines division will retire immediately while its chairman will not stand for re-election.

Even his golden parachute is zero dollars, I'd bet he's done quite well during his tenure there. Plus, he's got up to eight months as a lame duck at full salary. Not sure why stock holders seem to gleefully consistently accept this across industries?

Even his golden parachute is zero dollars, I'd bet he's done quite well during his tenure there. Plus, he's got up to eight months as a lame duck at full salary. Not sure why stock holders seem to gleefully consistently accept this across industries?
and admit a error<?> - it rarely happens.

I worked for a construction company that was profitably run by strictly a finance guy for years, growing, diversifying, and succeeding where competitors failed. The next CEO came up through the ranks from his start swinging hammers. He knew every aspect of the business intimately and was going to be the best CEO ever. Except the opposite happened and a couple years later it ceased to exist.

The CEO job is a lot more finance than building airplanes. Strictly a finance guy is who I'd want there.

I worked for a construction company that was profitably run by strictly a finance guy for years, growing, diversifying, and succeeding where competitors failed. The next CEO came up through the ranks from his start swinging hammers. He knew every aspect of the business intimately and was going to be the best CEO ever. Except the opposite happened and a couple years later it ceased to exist.

The CEO job is a lot more finance than building airplanes. Strictly a finance guy is who I'd want there.
Finance guys are the only ones who’ve been at the top of Boeing since the 1997 debacle with McD. Condit was the last engineer and last legacy Boeing CEO since then.

Finance guys are the only ones who’ve been at the top of Boeing since the 1997 debacle with McD. Condit was the last engineer and last legacy Boeing CEO since then.
Dennis Muilenburg, former president and CEO of Boeing post-merger has a couple of engineering degrees and started his career as a Boeing intern.

What do people blame for Boeing's technical problems prior to the merger? The public has a short and unreliable memory.

Nauga,
with no axe to grind

What are they going to do about the quality of trash rolling off the line though?

What do people blame for Boeing's technical problems prior to the merger
Genuine question, outside of the yaw damper issue on the 737, where their well-known and well publicized technical issues with the 757, 767, or 777? I'm sure the 707 through 747-100, 200 likely had but dawn of the jet age can be forgiven to some extent

Unfortunately, perception is reality. What the public sees is a company that built 787s that caught fire, 737 that crashed twice in a row for common cause, and missing screws leading to doors, err, plugs, blowing off.. not a good look! And for anyone following the 767 tanker that plane is not without fault either

The DC-10 head issues with cargo doors blowing off and the MD-11 (for reasons that may or may not be directly its fault, depends where you look online, still a really cool looking aircraft though) does not have the strongest safety record.

Airbus had their airshow crash and the well known Air France event. That plane though was not actively trying to kill them with an unexpected forward trim. So yeah, Boeing is the object of the media's attention right now unfortunately for them, but I wouldn't say they're completely innocent either

The hidden camera footage of the folks working there saying they would not fly on the Max is concerning. I wouldn't eat at a restaurant if the chef said he wouldn't eat the food.

Back