Boeing announces Wichita Closure

no i don't work at boeing, but they are across the street. bummer deal, have a few friends who work over there.

Glad to here it... I knew you did engineering for aerospace in Wichita but we didn't get into "for whom" at dinner the other night.

Sucks. Just sucks. That and the Air Force buying overseas on that other deal...

Glad to here it... I knew you did engineering for aerospace in Wichita but we didn't get into "for whom" at dinner the other night.

you talking about the Beech AT-6 deal?

They should never have received that tanker contract. Too late now, but a good lesson for those considering the news in the LAS bid where Hawker Beechcratf is trying to wave the "buy American" banner too. Jeez.

I just talked to a Purple Board pilot on the phone, to give him checkride pointers / share pilot training stories, who said he worked for Boeing. I'll send him a PM.

Well what really is terrible is how much the KS legislative delegation fought for them to get that contract because everything was to be constructed in Wichita.

Yeah, I saw some articles where the KS legislators are seriously P.O.'d. I guess that's what you get when you think anyone in D.C. is playing the same game you are... and not lying to your face.

Well what really is terrible is how much the KS legislative delegation fought for them to get that contract because everything was to be constructed in Wichita.

I don't think Boeing ever said that, and they certainly never put anything legally binding in writing that said that. Guess this is what happens when congressmen assume...

The key might be "in writing"... what was said behind closed door meetings may never be known.

Doesn't matter... damage is done. Couple thousand people who worked hard for years are dumped like yesterday's trash. Boeing's stock price will go up.

my impression has been that most of those people will be offered jobs in other locations. i'm curious what my neighbor will do, not sure if he's quite old enough to retire yet.

I hear Mexico is nice, if you don't mind the roving gangs of murdering thugs and a police force that has to purchase their own ammunition... :)

Oklahoma City is where I heard most of the engineering jobs are going. Not quite Mexico...

Manufacturing goes to Seattle.

Does Boeing even have any facilities in Mexico?

Oklahoma City is where I heard most of the engineering jobs are going. Not quite Mexico...

Manufacturing goes to Seattle.

Does Boeing even have any facilities in Mexico?

Local paper said that Seattle would be gaining only 100 jobs or so.

Boeing has facilities in practically every country in the world. Not manufacturing facilities, necessarily. Any airline that flies Boeing airplanes has an in-country rep.

Ron Wanttaja

A shame. When I was stationed at McConnell AFB in the 70's, there were 18,000 people employed by Boeing in Wichita.

Boeing's Commercial Division was sold off in 2005 to form what became Spirit Aerosystems, which I believe currently employs ~7000.

Yup, lets buy AT-6's, because they are made in America, even though the Air Force says it wants the A-29B made by Embraer, because they think it's a better plane. I'm sick of the buy American flag, when it isn't the product the user wants.

Back