Boeing 787 makes emergency landing on test flight

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
Source: AP
DALLAS (AP) - A Boeing 787 jetliner on a test flight over Texas made an emergency landing Tuesday after smoke was detected in the main cabin.
The plane landed safely in Laredo and the crew was evacuated, Boeing spokeswoman Loretta Gunter said. Boeing is still gathering information about the incident, she said.
The smoke appeared in the rear cabin of the plane, farthest from the cockpit, said Lynn Lunsford, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration.
"The pilot landed and advised he was declaring an emergency," said Lunsford, who added that the airport fire department was called to the scene. The incident is the latest setback for Boeing in development of the big, two-aisle passenger plane.

Ram Air Turbine - wind-powered generator ... I didn't know they had RATs.

If one were to get technical, it would be a wind driven hydraulic pump that runs a generator. It's primary function is a backup hydraulic system. If there is no hydraulic demand, then it runs a hydraulically driven generator for some of the systems.

Of course, that is assuming the logic is more or less the same as on the 777.:D

I hardly think a precautionary landing for smoke in the cabin, by itself, constitutes a "setback for the program."

I heard something about a problem in the "nitrogen generation system."

What the heck does an airliner need to generate nitrogen for? :dunno:

I heard something about a problem in the "nitrogen generation system."

What the heck does an airliner need to generate nitrogen for? :dunno:

Nitrogen is pumped into the fuel tanks to reduce the risk of fire/explosion. It's been used in military aircraft for some time but is relatively new for airliners. Apparently it's standard on the 787.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inerting_system

Last edited:
ah to keep it from turning into TWA 800

X2. I've heard of implementations of similar system venting, or injecting inert gasses (i.e. Nitrogen) into the center tanks of many 747's.. wonder if they actually did that.

Back