Boeing 787 Flight Test Recap

Most Excellent!

The crosswind landing was impressive. Crab all the way down until you're on both main gear, THEN kick it over to align with the runway... That must feel weird to a passenger.

But with the engines hanging down that's the only way to do it, I guess.

I liked the stall. Looks just like a stall in anything else, you're just not used to seeing an airliner do it on video.

Unfortunately no Thrust Asymmetry Computer (TAC) like the 777 has. Originally was supposed to be there but since the 787 is heavier than what was forecast it had to be scrapped.

So not knowing what the TAC does for the 777... Does that mean you're back to "dead foot, dead engine" in the 787? ;)

The crosswind landing was impressive. Crab all the way down until you're on both main gear, THEN kick it over to align with the runway... That must feel weird to a passenger.

But with the engines hanging down that's the only way to do it, I guess.

Don't know about the 787, but in the 777 sim max X/W was 54kts and I did a perfect wing down landing without it saying I dragged an engine.

From what I've noticed, the bigger and heavier the plane, the easier the actual stick and rudder flying is. That has nothing to do with the fact that the sim didn't tell me I had done any damage when I tried it as a wing down landing. Typically a sim is programmed with enough parameters that I would think it would have told if I had drug an engine.

Don't know about the 787, but in the 777 sim max X/W was 54kts and I did a perfect wing down landing without it saying I dragged an engine.

Interesting given that max crosswind on the 777 is 38knots dry runway.

Even at 38knots x-wind and zero pitch nacelle strike won't occur until 14 degrees roll. Landing at main gear and nose gear static position (-1.1 pitch) yields 10.5 degrees roll before nacelle strike.

Interesting given that max crosswind on the 777 is 38knots dry runway.

Even at 38knots x-wind and zero pitch nacelle strike won't occur until 14 degrees roll. Landing at main gear and nose gear static position (-1.1 pitch) yields 10.5 degrees roll before nacelle strike.

Max Cross wind component in AA's 777 sim is 54kts IIRC.

The sim can have 100 knots of crosswind, but the airplane is limited to 38knots dry runway.

I have no clue as to the limitations on the plane, I was just invited to ride along in the sim and I got to fly it. My favorite thing in that cockpit was the purple speed bug. We all did one with X/W cranked to max.

Back