Boeing 737 Landing at Gastons

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
Here I am landing a Boeing 737-800 BBJ at Gastons. This is the full Dam approach.

Also a video of me doing the real deal in a Cherokee:

Last edited:
Little steep on the base to final turn don't ya think! Cool Vid....

Strap on the JATO packs :yikes:

Hey Jesse, just curious - whats up with the flaps on downwind on the Cherokee?

Hey Jesse, just curious - whats up with the flaps on downwind on the Cherokee?
I don't know? Why not? I really don't have any rules for when I do anything. I just do it when I want something to happen. Why did I add flaps at a certain point in time on a landing I made 5 months ago that I barely remember--I can't tell you.

Little steep on the base to final turn don't ya think! Cool Vid....

Strap on the JATO packs :yikes:

Nah, wasn't even 90 degrees! I needed to lose some airspeed and some altitude and I also needed to avoid that ridge. Best way to do that? Knife edge a Boeing 737 :)

Jack said:
I'm pretty sure we'd cut Jesse some slack on the pattern size if he flew one in for real.
I flew it as the exact same pattern I do in real life which permits visual contact with the runway the entire time which is important if you want to know if some nordo idiot is taking off into your face.

which is important if you want to know if some nordo idiot is taking off into your face.

Well, at Gaston's, if ANYONE is taking off, they are going to be "into your face" nordo or not. Kind of a strong statement.

Well, at Gaston's, if ANYONE is taking off, they are going to be "into your face" nordo or not. Kind of a strong statement.

Ah, Greg, Yes--anyone can be taking off into your face. I'm saying that unless you want to trust the radio that you'll hear about all traffic on takeoff it isn't a bad idea to position yourself to where you can see everything the entire time.

I have a visual with the airport and runway from cross-wind to touchdown. I've departed from the pattern or adjusted my pattern several times when I've seen an aircraft rolling down the runway.

As far as using the word "nordo idiot"--IMO--you're an idiot if you're flying at Gastons during our Fly-in Saturday after-noon without a radio. There are lots of people doing bomber patterns with no visual of the runway until they turn around the trees on their base/final curve. A radio is a little insurance but a constant visual is better yet.

I have no problem with those who choose to fly NORDO. That said there are some situations where they should recognize that the lack of a radio is a serious safety risk. Gastons is one of them.

Last edited:
Lucky you didn't FOD out the eningines by leaving the TRs deployed all the way to the full stop. Otherwise, not too shabby.

Nice. The Tiger has hope yet!

Jess what program was that MSFS X or X plane. Also who did the camera work on your approach into Gastons.

Lucky you didn't FOD out the eningines by leaving the TRs deployed all the way to the full stop. Otherwise, not too shabby.
Yeah. I was too busy trying to look at the outside view and forgot to disengage them :)

As far as using the word "nordo idiot"--IMO--you're an idiot if you're flying at Gastons during our Fly-in Saturday after-noon without a radio.

Where is the NOTAM published that PoA is having a fly-in on a certain weekend in June? :confused:

Where is the NOTAM published that PoA is having a fly-in on a certain weekend in June? :confused:
There isn't--Greg I get what you're trying to get at. I can tell you if I was flying NORDO and flew over an airport that is generally empty and it were full of all kinds of airplanes I'd be going elsewhere. That is just me though--to each their own.

There isn't--Greg I get what you're trying to get at. I can tell you if I was flying NORDO and flew over an airport that is generally empty and it were full of all kinds of airplanes I'd be going elsewhere. That is just me though--to each their own.

Look, Jesse, my issue is with you calling someone who is exercising his prerogative to fly his airplane anywhere he legally wants to an idiot because he chooses to fly his NORDO plane into Gaston's during our fly in. It is your prerogative to avoid it if you choose but don't call him an idiot because he chooses to drop in for lunch.

Jesse it isn't the same without the trees. You will need to add them for the true Gaston's experience...

Look, Jesse, my issue is with you calling someone who is exercising his prerogative to fly his airplane anywhere he legally wants to an idiot because he chooses to fly his NORDO plane into Gaston's during our fly in. It is your prerogative to avoid it if you choose but don't call him an idiot because he chooses to drop in for lunch.

Legal doesn't always equal "non-idiot" in my book Greg. There are plenty of legal activities that I think are somewhat stupid. The great thing about America is the fact that the pilot can choose to fly NORDO if he wants and I can choose to think he is an idiot.

I spent the earlier portion of my life flying around constantly NORDO. I saw enough close calls that I decided it was pretty stupid to fly NORDO instead of buying a $200 radio. I've had a lot less close calls in recent years with a radio--to the point to where I think it is stupid not to have one. That is all.

Howcome it seems that Jesse has all kinds of time, even in the 737, but I when I fly it it goes so fast....???

Howcome it seems that Jesse has all kinds of time, even in the 737, but I when I fly it it goes so fast....???

He is proficient with a joystick and a keyboard. Flying that way is ANYTHING but realistic. :smile:

Full flaps and gear down. Watch the airspeed and AoA. It helps if you can bind the spoilers to an axis on your joystick so that you can quickly add and subtract them. You'll notice on the HUD that I am constantly using / adjusting them on the final approach. The greenish bar on the airspeed tape is the stall speed which is calculated live by the aircraft's computer. I just stay slightly above that. Of course, if you load up the wings, it increases.

If you just throw in full power without flaps or gear you'll be blasting through 250 knots before you know what happened. Notice how I was keeping it around 150-200 knots for most of that. It probably helps that I've been flying jets on flight simulators since I was about 8 years old.

Last edited:
He is proficient with a joystick and a keyboard. Flying that way is ANYTHING but realistic. :smile:

Oh. It isn't the real deal but it is fun. I've also found that if I can do approaches in a F-22 it is no problem in a Cherokee. It really does help with approaches.

X-Plane is fun to try crap you wouldn't dare in real life and the aerodynamic accuracy is pretty impressive.

The 'control' feeling during landing phases isn't the real deal at all..But generally the power settings , airspeeds, thrust, etc is dead on. X-Plane powers many 'full size' certified simulators. That said, all of this stuff varies pretty dramatically on the heavier airplanes depending on the way they are loaded, lbs of fuel, etc.

I'm trying to save money to buy an airplane now so I'm not doing much real life flying. This helps satisfy my desire--sort of.

Last edited:
Oh. It isn't the real deal but it is fun. I've also found that if I can do approaches in a F-22 it is no problem in a Cherokee. It really does help with approaches.

X-Plane is fun to try crap you wouldn't dare in real life and the aerodynamic accuracy is pretty impressive.

The 'control' feeling during landing phases isn't the real deal at all..But generally the power settings , airspeeds, thrust, etc is dead on. X-Plane powers many 'full size' certified simulators. That said, all of this stuff varies pretty dramatically on the heavier airplanes depending on the way they are loaded, lbs of fuel, etc.

I'm trying to save money to buy an airplane now so I'm not doing much real life flying. This helps satisfy my desire--sort of.

Understood, Jesse. I was just making the point. :D:rofl:

You're 737 type rated aren't you? You should rent one and arrive in style next year. Show those P-Barons up...

I have 3,500 hours SIC time but no type rating. None required for domestic. This was all prior to 1994.

You're 737 type rated aren't you? You should rent one and arrive in style next year. Show those P-Barons up...

if anyone shows up in a 737 and has a video of it I'll pay them $20.

As far as using the word "nordo idiot"--IMO--you're an idiot if you're flying at Gastons during our Fly-in Saturday after-noon without a radio.

Since there isn't a NOTAM issued about our fly-in, how would someone, flying without electric, coming in for the afternoon be aware?

Never mind...asked and answered with Greg.

Back