Boeing 40 in Iowa City Thursday, 9/11/08

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
As part of Addision Pemberton's transcontinental airmail reenactment, he (and two other historic mailplanes) will be arriving in Iowa City, IA (KIOW) tomorrow, Thursday, 9/11/08. Exact times aren't available, but it's thought that they will arrive in the afternoon hours.

Iowa City Airport, the birthplace of commercial aviation (thanks to its pivotal role in the airmail system) is celebrating its 90th anniversary this year, as is the U.S. Airmail itself. We've already had several short-run airmail reenactments this summer (most recently last month, in conjunction with Blakesburg's AAA Fly-In -- see pix here: http://www.alexisparkinn.com/90th_anniiversary_of_kiow.htm ) but this one will be special. Pemberton's Boeing 40 is the only flying example in the world. It's a very large plane, with room to carry four passengers plus the pilot, in addition to the mail.

Seeing this will be worth the drive/flight to Iowa City for sure!

:yes:

Jay, we had the honor of the Steraman Fly-in in Galesburg last weekend. Very sweet. Also, Very oily, however.

the 40C was in Ames a week ago or so. very cool bird, thats for sure.

he has the original data plate on the mail compartment which lists the maximum mail weight as 749 lbs. He said that he actually submitted a 337 to the FSDO for a 1 lb gross weight increase to make it an even 750, lol. Addison is a great guy too, a joy to talk to.

As part of Addision Pemberton's transcontinental airmail reenactment, he (and two other historic mailplanes) will be arriving in Iowa City, IA (KIOW) tomorrow, Thursday, 9/11/08. Exact times aren't available, but it's thought that they will arrive in the afternoon hours.

One of the coolest things about it is, according to my cousin who works for Boeing:

This was in the Boeing News this morning. They're making a cross-country airmail trip in a Boeing Model 40C, a Stearman C3B, and Stearman 4E.
Carrying real mail, apparently.

Edit: Here's the article: http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/27918709.html

Last edited:
yep, the local T6/Stearman guy put a postcard in the mail sack and should get it back in a few weeks.

And here's an amazing anecdote from the story:

Not long out we noticed a film of ice forming on the struts, wires, and entering edges of the wings; but it built up slowly…. I saw Bill signal that he was going to land, and I followed him into a large pasture.

Since it had taken over half an hour to accumulate that much ice, if we could get the ice off we ought to be able to go another half hour and land again. We found some clubs along the fence row and beat off the ice as well as we could, organized a team to crank our propellers from the inevitable spectators, and took off. It went as planned. Ice slowly formed…, Bill pointed to a pasture; we landed; we hacked off the ice, and soon we were again in the air.

:hairraise:

Jay, we had the honor of the Steraman Fly-in in Galesburg last weekend. Very sweet. Also, Very oily, however.

Yeah, I feel bad about missing the Stearman gig this year. My schedule conspired against me...

It's always one of my favorite fly-ins. Very folksy and fun!

Just a quick update: Addison and the Boeing 40 still have not been able to proceed West of Rochelle, IL. The rain, low visibility and low ceiling have been unrelenting for two days -- and it's not supposed to clear up until Sunday.

We're keeping our fingers crossed that the transcontinental airmail reenactors find a break in the scud today -- but it's not looking promising as I'm typing this...

Just a quick update: Addison and the Boeing 40 still have not been able to proceed West of Rochelle, IL. The rain, low visibility and low ceiling have been unrelenting for two days -- and it's not supposed to clear up until Sunday.

We're keeping our fingers crossed that the transcontinental airmail reenactors find a break in the scud today -- but it's not looking promising as I'm typing this...

Methinks the weatherman is just trying to see how authentic of a reenaction they wanted to make! Those guys back then were nuts - I forget if it's in the link I posted earlier or in a book I'm reading about the early air mail pilots, but they talked about having to fly through farm fields low enough that they had to climb to hop the fences! :hairraise:

Methinks the weatherman is just trying to see how authentic of a reenaction they wanted to make! Those guys back then were nuts - I forget if it's in the link I posted earlier or in a book I'm reading about the early air mail pilots, but they talked about having to fly through farm fields low enough that they had to climb to hop the fences! :hairraise:

Well there were a lot fewer cellphone towers back then.

To quote my own essay:

On May 15, 1918, a United States Air Mail Service flight took off from Washington D.C., bound for Philadelphia, marking the world's first scheduled mail flight. Lieutenant George Leroy Boyle, the pilot chosen for the flight, turned in the wrong direction, became hopelessly lost, and landed in a field 24 miles from where he took off. The mail was unloaded from the plane and placed on a train, and the first flight was considered a failure. But many successful flights followed. In order to achieve success, pilots had to overcome extraordinary obstacles. As a result, their discoveries and sacrifices helped to pioneer the modern air transportation system.

To quote my own essay:

If you're interested in the history of the airmail -- the precursor for all commercial aviation -- I've written (and excerpted other authors) about it here: http://www.alexisparkinn.com/the_iowa_city_airport.htm The Iowa City Airport played a central role in the system. It's a fascinating story.

Re: The authenticity of this reenactment. Given that Addison is flying a one-of-a-kind, last-one-flying Boeing 40, methinks he's making the smart move to stay on the ground, for now. True, the original airmail pilots would have pressed on -- but they died in alarming numbers, too.

Today (Sunday) is looking somewhat better, so maybe he'll make it here today. (Although it'll just be a "gas & go" stop, now.)

He's gonna take a model 40 through this....?

Attachments

• RochelleIL.doc
    436.5 KB · Views: 6
Jeepers, Jay, I just went out to the hangars to refuel the Seneca. 22 gallons. Got completely soaked as a rat.

Ike's now departing STL bound for Evansville, IN. I sure wouldn't want to be in a Sterarman today. Tonight.....maybe.

Re: The authenticity of this reenactment. Given that Addison is flying a one-of-a-kind, last-one-flying Boeing 40, methinks he's making the smart move to stay on the ground, for now.

I agree. I was just joking. :yes: Thought I made that clear.

Back