Bob Hoover

Sitting in the neighborhood hot tub after dinner and listening to the stories is fun too. Amazing guy.

It's more fun looking out the windshield sitting next to him. Don

He moved in after we did, but I didn't know it until a neighbor and former USAF pilot mentioned it. Hoover's house was closest to the spa so his bar was usually tapped more than the others. Four other homes were between his place and mine, one of them owned by an actress named Joanna Moore (Tatum O'Neil's mom) but she didn't frequent the tub. Al Geiberger (PGA golfer famous for the first 59 in tour history) lived across the street.

It's kinda depressing when people who are really good at the two things you really enjoy live in your 'hood. Suddenly whatever stories you might want to tell are so paltry that it's easier to just ask questions of the "rich and famous" company and enjoy one more sarsaparilla.

Dear Wayne.

You suck.

Sincerely,

Geoff

Last edited:
I watched Bob fly his Commander at Quonset RI airshow in the late 70s and I had a chance to chat with him at the Reno Races in the late 90s.

A really great and humble pilot.

I got to fly the Quonset airshow in the late 80s in the B-1. When I did, I was thinking of the time I watched Bob at that show.

"Who's the greatest pilot you ever saw?" Sorry, Gordo, that honor is reserved for Bob Hoover. :D

Back